CWD hot zones and land values

I see Jack is still impacting my forum experience even though I don’t know what he’s saying. <Sigh>

What percentage of the total land sales is that? Tiny. Compare that to the acreage sold for ag, timber, or industrial.
This isn't an ag, timber, or industrial site and that's obviously not the land use the op is referring to.

This isn't an ag, timber, or industrial site and that's obviously not the land use the op is referring to.
Perhaps I misunderstood his original post. He said as a "land investor". I did not take that as limited to land in the few places where deer hunting is a price driver. To me a "land investor" is not limited to hunting land.

One reason I buy farms with good tillable is that a setback like EHD, CWD, or whatever hurts the deer hunting has less impact on value.

Plus the income part of it, and natural food plots !

I have been told by some people I know who's word I trust, that areas in Iowa County WI, basically ground zero in the Midwest, that there is a real lack of mature deer. I don't know if it is from disease or from the sharpshooters having the impact. I look at land listings way more than I would care to admit and I promise you that land values in the aforementioned area are VERY high.

One reason I buy farms with good tillable is that a setback like EHD, CWD, or whatever hurts the deer hunting has less impact on value.

Plus the income part of it, and natural food plots !
Completely agree with this statement the last farm I bought had limited tillable but had interstate frontage and it’s at an off ramp corner so it has commercial value for development down the road but I like tillable ground a great deal.

Many hunters buy their own hunting land because they're fustrated. No luck in public land, rules with their buddies spots, family fueds over who, where, and what on hunting.

Deer diseases just add fustration. The people who can buy on a whim, or the folks who need to turn maybe into yes will be impacted. Smaller sized parcels, like 20-40 acre spots will likely increase in value.

IF someone own a large tract, looking into making it subdivideable. A open plot area in each division, a shared driveway if needed to subdivide. I'd think ahead in those terms. In NY, smaller spots command more money in certain areas. Areas within reasonable driving distance to large economic centers, large tracts can command higher value. People have the dough and the competition in the market to buy large isolation. These folks, atleast by me have little intrst in hunt, more vacation or retirement homes.

It's not what it's worth, it's what people can afford.....

Last edited: