CWD hot zones and land values

Turkish

5 year old buck +
For those of you that are in tune with land values in or around CWD zones, how have they performed? As a land investor, should I be afraid of growing CWD prevalence in my state?

I don’t want this to be a debate about how serious the disease is or isn’t, just about how land values have responded compared to similar areas with the disease.

No guesses how it will play out in the future, but thus far, cwd hasn't lowered the local prices from what I can tell. Snipers are in the immediate area and have been for nearly a decade. There are still far more buyers than sellers. I think more of the hunting type farms exchange hands privately and never hit the market. An expansive property sold directly to the state a few years ago, removing any chance any of it will ever be owned by local taxpayers. It turned into a public hunting balloon wreck. If a human ever contracts cwd then all bets are off IMO.

My buddy has land in a supposed cwd hotspot in southwestern Wisconsin. His land is worth a mint and his hunting is no worse today than any time in the past. Maybe even better. He also hasn’t found one dead deer either and he is ground zero…something fishy about the whole cwd thing to me.

There are probably some localities that are and exception, but in general, deer are not a major driver for land prices. If you are talking about land that is not suitable for other purposes and hunting is the primary driver, I would expect CWD prevalence to have an impact on land prices. If I'm a buyer for hunting purposes, I'd be asking myself whether I want to own land where I need to test deer before eating them or whether area biologists will determine the best way to slow the disease is to decimate the population.

But, as I said, most land in most location is not purchased primarily for hunting.

Hasn’t slowed the price of land on N central Missouri. I was worried and thought of selling when they expanded it into my area and pulled the APR’s. I think it’s too late. APR’s are to engrained in the area.

Hasn’t slowed the price of land on N central Missouri. I was worried and thought of selling when they expanded it into my area and pulled the APR’s. I think it’s too late. APR’s are to engrained in the area.
Apr’s?

Antler point restrictions. Used to be 4 on one side. Now no restrictions.

I would suspect that unless every deer is dead- out of state interests will keep the market from changing at all and that’s hunting reared- timber, crop, ag folks may pay more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really doubt it will have any real effect at all on land values.

I would suspect that unless every deer is dead- out of state interests will keep the market from changing at all and that’s hunting reared- timber, crop, ag folks may pay more

I had the same thought. However in SW MS, recreational opportunities (specifically deer hunting) are driving land prices, with more than just a few anecdotal observations to back it up. There is a fairly healthy timber market here, less ag, some cattle, and deer hunting quality is what sets apart one sale from another.

Live and hunt in a CWD county and all surrounding counties have CWD. Good deer hunting land is absolutely driving land prices and CWD doesn't have an effect on those prices.

There are probably some localities that are and exception, but in general, deer are not a major driver for land prices. If you are talking about land that is not suitable for other purposes and hunting is the primary driver, I would expect CWD prevalence to have an impact on land prices. If I'm a buyer for hunting purposes, I'd be asking myself whether I want to own land where I need to test deer before eating them or whether area biologists will determine the best way to slow the disease is to decimate the population.

But, as I said, most land in most location is not purchased primarily for hunting.
If deer aren't driving the prices on rough ground, you sure couldn't tell it by looking at the listing. They are 100% aimed at hunters.

I think the moment CWD is found, land values shoot straight up. Can anyone think of any low price areas that have CWD?

I have small averages (13, 40 AND 85). The 40 is in a CWD zone in S. Missouri, and the 13 surrounded on two sides by CWD counties in SW Missouri for five years, and the 85 is in NW Missouri in a non-CWD area. At this time, it CWD has had no impact on value. Can that change? It may, but I believe the question was one of current impact, and I have not experienced any.

If deer aren't driving the prices on rough ground, you sure couldn't tell it by looking at the listing. They are 100% aimed at hunters.
What percentage of the total land sales is that? Tiny. Compare that to the acreage sold for ag, timber, or industrial.

What percentage of the total land sales is that? Tiny. Compare that to the acreage sold for ag, timber, or industrial.
I thought the thread was about deer hunting land, since cwd is a deer disease. What am I missing.

I thought the thread was about deer hunting land, since cwd is a deer disease. What am I missing.
As I said in my previous post, there may be some isolated areas where land prices are driven by deer where it could have an impact, but the vast majority of land prices are driven by other factors. The OP said he was an investor in land and wanted to know if CWD was likely to impact land prices.

He's talking about deer hunting land, not an Amazon warehouse site or a vineyard in Napa.