Taking land out of crop rotation

Too late after beans. He does do wheat after corn. I want him to do back to beans which I think is doable. @FarmerDan is that correct? Or I have a back section which is about 9 acres I thought about converting to alfalfa, letting him bail it if he wanted and then rotating the remaining 51 like always.
Around here soybeans are THE crop. Some guys still do a wheat/bean-wheat/bean-wheat/bean-corn rotation to break the nematode cycle.

And don't under estimate the value of the 60 acres to deer habitat. Look for small inside corners and isolated edges. I have a couple fields where remote corners of cropland (soybeans) are better than food plots!

Last edited:
I guess anything is possible. If you own good cropland and are looking to lease it to a commercial producer there are a number of "cost" factors to consider unless money is no object, either to you and/or your lessee. Same could be said about taking good cropland out of production.
1. There's the issue of land use taxation.
2. Impact of crops left standing for crop insurance and/or USDA farm programs yields. For example, harvest yields in the form of weigh tickets.
3. Cash crop prices. Soybeans right now are $15/bu and corn is something over $7 in my part of the world. Could be lower - or higher - later. That "left standing" crop might "cost" as much as $1,000 / acre or more.
4. All that aside if you find a farmer willing to bow to your wishes I would think you very lucky.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that point you made on 3. I wanted him to leave about 3 acres of beans for some late winter food. Around you that would be $1000/acre? That’s where I’m a little torn. I don’t want to pay $3000 to have a 3 acre food plot. i get he has cost and missed revenue but this is where I’m wrestling with control over my land and management. His rent payment to me isn’t worth the loss of control. But…maybe it’s worth the food he’s providing for those months out of the year. I guess that’s what I need to decide.

Then I run into access. The crop fields completely block my from a decent chunk of my land. I don’t feel like I can get by in the mornings or evening without blowing out deer. Currently riding the field edge is my only access to that section.

I wanted him to leave about 3 acres of beans for some late winter food. Around you that would be $1000/acre? That’s where I’m a little torn. I don’t want to pay $3000 to have a 3 acre food plot. i get he has cost and missed revenue but this is where I’m wrestling with control over my land and management. His rent payment to me isn’t worth the loss of control. But…maybe it’s worth the food he’s providing for those months out of the year. I guess that’s what I need to decide.
To be clear, what you are asking is for your producer to deduct a substantial amount of revenue from his production. The costs are sunk.
'Beans planted July 4th might make 20 bushels or they might make 60. I dunno. Average? Maybe 40 bu? At $14.89/bu is revenue of almost $600 lost per acre. You might offer half to just do a cost recovery. But there are all the other considerations I mentioned previously.

https://www.agweb.com/markets/cash-grain-bids

1663073555916.png

To be clear, what you are asking is for your producer to deduct a substantial amount of revenue from his production. The costs are sunk.
'Beans planted July 4th might make 20 bushels or they might make 60. I dunno. Average? Maybe 40 bu? At $14.89/bu is revenue of almost $600 lost per acre. You might offer half to just do a cost recovery. But there are all the other considerations I mentioned previously.

https://www.agweb.com/markets/cash-grain-bids

View attachment 45934
Seems like you are looking at this from farmers perspective. I’ll take the landowners side.

You tell farmer what you want and are willing to do. He can then make decision on if it makes sense financially. It’s your land. And lots of farmers would come in and plant it and follow your rules.

Why not do a cost share where he keeps 2/3 of the crop, and you 1/3. He gets to harvest 40 acres and you keep 20 standing? Hopefully that would keep taxes low, and the farmer wouldn't be missing out. I would think hunting over twenty acres of standing crop late season would be killer.

Let him harvest and spend the money buy some winter wheat or rye and broadcast then spray in spring before he wants to plant again

Let him harvest and spend the money buy some winter wheat or rye and broadcast then spray in spring before he wants to plant again
Yeah I talked to him yesterday, I’m going to broadcast wheat into a 3 acre section next rain. It’s something at least.

I find myself in this exact situate currently- albeit with 20 ac. of crop and 30 acres of woods.

I came very close to pulling it out of crop production and putting into CRP. However, I decided that I didn't really want to be in a formal program, and I like having the ag food source around. I ended up settling on a plan that I think will give me a lot of diversity. Specifically, I'm going to pull a couple of .5 acre sections of crop, that are very low production out- and plant them in forbs and native grasses. Then, I'm going to do a buffer strip- 20-30ft in width around a large portion of the ag, and then immediately in from those buffer edges, i'm going to manage my woods for native woody succession. The edge of the woods has crept out, so I'm going to kill some of the mid height and try to allow for stup sprouts and woody browse and edge feather it for 30-50'. Then in the timber I plan to implement wildlife focused TSI- as in release crop trees and make a couple of in woods clearings and a couple of major thinnings, but not totally clear.

Back to the crop ground, my hope is to improve my overall habitat, but retain some of the real wildlife benefit to the crops, which i think there is.

I have a joint 50/50 focus on deer and turkey.

I have about 20 acres out of 76 that is ag. A few acres of this is hay and the remainder is corn/beans. I plan to take a couple acres of the corn/beans out next year for a strategically placed food plot and chestnut planting. The hay ground is also a food plot in the fall. The farmer trades me to take hay off it in the summer, but he drills a fall crop of rye, peas, radish and whatever else I want in late august. So those few acres I get the best of both worlds. Maybe converting some strategic areas into cover and/or food might help to start instead of the whole thing at once.

I have about 20 acres out of 76 that is ag. A few acres of this is hay and the remainder is corn/beans. I plan to take a couple acres of the corn/beans out next year for a strategically placed food plot and chestnut planting. The hay ground is also a food plot in the fall. The farmer trades me to take hay off it in the summer, but he drills a fall crop of rye, peas, radish and whatever else I want in late august. So those few acres I get the best of both worlds. Maybe converting some strategic areas into cover and/or food might help to start instead of the whole thing at once.
The rye doesn't choke out the hay grass in the spring? Cereal rye? I would think there wouldn't be much hay to bale with that mixture and get multiple cuttings.