Cuddelink L series Q & A

Just watched all of the video. The video is really good, lays everything out step by step.

Is there any reason NOT to use microSD cards in adaptors?

All of mine are sandisk micros in the adapter, haven't have any SD cards issues in the last 5 years.

Also, I was trying to do the firmware update, but it doesnt come up as save as. when I click on it, I get the folAnyt helpowing:
Please help. THis has been very frustrating getting these all setup to work. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

View attachment 54324
I had the same problem.

Looked identical on my pc.

I did not copy files to the card like the video shows. I dragged the entire download to the card. This didn’t work with just a “quick format” of the card for some reason.

Like someone else said- I unchecked “quick format” and did the full format. Then I dragged the file and it worked in the cameras.

Oh, didn't realize you were having difficulties with the download. I've seen the posts regarding doing the full format on the cards, but thankfully, I've not had to deal with that issue.
Just know that getting past the initial set up of everything will teach you alot about how it all works. You'll learn more as you use it, and, prob have some other minor issues to work thru, which will learn you, too. All the info for troubleshooting is on this forum, but it is a PITA to dig thru sometimes. John Volkman is a PM away, and he's always been happy to respond timely and help. Kudos to John!
I've been using the cuddelink system for 5 yrs now, and still using the original 6 units I started out with. (did have 1 with a water leak early on that cuddeback replaced under warranty) Even when dealing with some issues, I'm still very pleased, and have continued to add to my system. I think you're going to be happy in the end, no worries!

I think I’m pretty close on getting everything set up. My cell plan is still pending activation, I’m probably going to have to call about that tomorrow (Monday).

I had the same card problem with brand new LL-2As and brand new sandisk 64g cards. I formatted them all at home, and did not pay attention to which format it was using. Some cameras took the cards without issue, some returned "check sd." I tried clearing the cards using the camera, no luck, Test SD card failed too. Formatted again, tried both FAT and NTSC (or whatever) and not sure which one I ended on. Eventually I got the cameras to accept and write to the cards, card test returns successful but clearing the cards using the camera still returns an error. They all appear to be working now.

No issues doing firmware.

I wished I would have got 32g cards.

I just pulled fresh from the package a L cam and a sandisk 64g card. Card test returned check sd. Clear sd returned check sd.
I pulled it, checked and the file sysytem was NTSF and then reformatted to exFAT file system. Inserted in to camera and card passes test and the camera successfully cleared it.
It appears they do not like NTSF file system which was already loaded on the cards I bought.

Also, it will not load firmware from a card using NTSF file system from what I just tested.

I just pulled fresh from the package a L cam and a sandisk 64g card. Card test returned check sd. Clear sd returned check sd.
I pulled it, checked and the file sysytem was NTSF and then reformatted to exFAT file system. Inserted in to camera and card passes test and the camera successfully cleared it.
It appears they do not like NTSF file system which was already loaded on the cards I bought.

Also, it will not load firmware from a card using NTSF file system from what I just tested.
I could be wrong but I believe the largest card you can use is a 32g.

I could be wrong but I believe the largest card you can use is a 32g.

I have 4 of them running on 128 GB’s right now. Overkill I know. Bought them before I knew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The low res image quality is better than expected. I am also impressed with the motion sensor. This is looking like the best overall trail cam i have used to date, even if it was off network. It caught a squirrel on the run, almost T_00001 (4).JPGT_00001 (5).JPGmid frame.

The low res image quality is better than expected. I am also impressed with the motion sensor. This is looking like the best overall trail cam i have used to date, even if it was off network. It caught a squirrel on the run, almost View attachment 55500View attachment 55501mid frame.

WTF is that?! A wallaby?!

WTF is that?! A wallaby?!

That's what I said. I showed it to a wildlife biologist and an old sheep herder. The sheep herder said it was squirrel so I am going with it.

I was trying to figure out how to check the battery voltage of the cell home since it does not take pics, and realized I can select "take picture" in the home unit settings and I should receive the test photo with the info I seek?
I think I have another hour before it updates, so we will see.

Edit: it did not work.

Last edited:
I just added four more L cams this weekend. During the drive in to the place I turned one on to check for nearby systems and to see when I would start to pick up mine. I had a signal of 20 at 4.5 miles from and about 600' above the home cell, line of site, clear dry conditions.

4 more cams, cool! I've seen ppl complain about lack of distance when linking, but, the system has exceeded my expectations, with 1/2-3/4 mile single links possible at my site. I've had some queue issues occasionally with the cams with poor links, so you may have to deal with that if spreading them way out. Are you sure that the unit wasn't picking up a closer cam than the cell cam, cause 4.5 miles is a crazy long distance for this RF signal!

4 more cams, cool! I've seen ppl complain about lack of distance when linking, but, the system has exceeded my expectations, with 1/2-3/4 mile single links possible at my site. I've had some queue issues occasionally with the cams with poor links, so you may have to deal with that if spreading them way out. Are you sure that the unit wasn't picking up a closer cam than the cell cam, cause 4.5 miles is a crazy long distance for this RF signal!
It could have been, but the signal jived with the terrain and no indication it was anyones but mine. They are not real popular in my neck of the woods, yet. I may change that. I do wonder though, because I have a couple in trees just over half mile that are hovering in the 10-20 range.
I am going to put a cam out there just to see. I was sitting in a truck when it hit 20, so it should work.
I notice link levels swing a lot over the days and weather. Seems with rain and the trees taking up water my signals are down across the board.

question on l series cuddelink cameras. Is the shutter louder than on the old camera? I have a camera about 10 yards from an entry point and both times a buck walked out they spooked and ran off. It's obvious the first pic startled them. one buck is a 3 year old and the other is a 2 year old so not super mature spooky bucks.

I have all the setting on the default modes the camera was shipped with.

Thoughts.

question on l series cuddelink cameras. Is the shutter louder than on the old camera? I have a camera about 10 yards from an entry point and both times a buck walked out they spooked and ran off. It's obvious the first pic startled them. one buck is a 3 year old and the other is a 2 year old so not super mature spooky bucks.

I have all the setting on the default modes the camera was shipped with.

Thoughts.
should not be louder and software was changed on the L so it wont change back and forth more than once at sunrise and sunset if light conditions change.

should not be louder and software was changed on the L so it wont change back and forth more than once at sunrise and sunset if light conditions change.
okay thanks..

on the external power bank and hooking up to the l camera does it automatically know the power bank is connected or is there a mode I need to activate. Should I change all 10 batteries together?