Cuddelink L series Q & A

They advertise a picture number but it is actually data amounts . It’s 40 mb for the lowest level, 100 mb for the mid level and unlimited for the highest. It’s usually higher than the number advertised. I only get the lowest and it’s always over the 750 pictures before the overage kicks in. The daily total is in the Home camera Details.
Are you sure that's true? I got cut off a few MB above 100MB. I flipped on the extra pics option, and it started sending pics again. I still want to know the monthly reset date.

@john volkman Where can I see how many pics of my monthly allowance I've used and when my plan kicks back to zero? I upped our plan a few months ago, and recently I've played with the frequency at which pictures are taken. I can't find anywhere in CAMP or the app that tells me when my monthly pic total resets to zero.

It took me half a day to figure out that I was over my allotment. It would be ideal to give me an app alert/notification and some sort of banner in CAMP that I hit the overage. I only accidentally saw it when I was trying to figure out why pics stopped coming through.
For data usage, if the cam is a K or G, the user clicks on Device Details and you will see MB’s used. The 750 pic is 40MB. 2000 is 100MB. If you have an L HOME, then it is not tracking pics or MB’s right now. A firmware update has to happen to fix that. And that update isnt ready yet. They can see it on cuddebacks end if you want them to look it up for you. You can usually get close by looking at the number of pics in the Photo Plan. This issue is recorded as something that will be addressed and ill pass on the request to have a notification in the app when the new app rolls out but i cant promise that will happen.

In regards to when it rolls over for the month, you can go into the DEVICE DETAILS, then BILLING PLAN. you'll see a BILLING PLAN NEXT BILL DATE. The day listed in the NEXT BILL DATE will be the day of each month that your plan rolls over.
I suggest checking the overage box for $5, as it ensures non interrupted images and nothing gets someone running cameras more agitated than the images not coming thru for even a couple hours. If you would rather not , then you will need to go into camp with the steps above until the new app versions is launched next year.

@john volkman and anyone else who would like to comment:

I've read all 21 pages of this thread and copy/pasted 4 pages of notes to a word document for the important things like start up and trouble shooting (mostly sd card issues).

There are just a couple of questions as I try to decide which cameras to get. Land description: 6 fields, pond, long year round creek, large beaver dam, and a lot of great deer habitat (200 acres with 70% wooded/30% hay field and house/out buildings. Our cell service is iffy at best so I'm considering the dual sim card home base.

First, what difference have you seen between running ir and L series black flash regarding mature bucks? I don't want to put ir's out in important mature buck areas if it's going to cause them to take a detour.

Second, what I'm currently thinking. (I'm very open to changing the camera plan):
- use 4 cameras for catching trespassers so these need to be black flash.
- use at least 6-10 over fields so a mix of ir and black flash depending on whether it's mainly a doe/fawn area or a known mature buck route
- use the rest, currently thinking 10 black flash, in mature buck areas to track them backwards/forwards from pictures in the dark until we get close enough to where they're preferred bedding areas are and we can get pictures of them in the daylight so I know where to sit to put them in the freezer.

The current plan is to have them out year round on mostly low light solar with the open field cams on the normal solar panels. I do have some doubts on the normal panels in the open field/south facing solar due to being in an area where the sun disappears for 5-14 days in a row several times a year. Thoughts on this?

I am thinking of starting the home camera as cell and moving to sd card in the off season.

Are there any suggestions, corrections, or thoughts/ideas that could improve what I'm thinking? Are there any camera changes/improvements that I should wait for for any part of the above?

Feel free to pm a short list of retailers that have items in stock for immediate shipping.

Thanks in advance!

I’m running about 60 cams on 3 home units year round. I don’t care for the black flash night time pictures and don’t plan to buy any more of those. I’ve not seen evidence that bucks get any more pics on black flash vs the long range IR. And while I have a few older solar in full sun that work fine, if starting from scratch, I’d only buy the new shade tolerant solar for all locations.

IR flash night pics appear to be better illuminated than black flash in my opinion.

With the solar panels, you can leave D batteries in the cams if you're worried about the smaller panels and lack of sun. I'm coming up on a year in PA, where you can have gray days for a week or so, and haven't had an issue. We have batteries in the cameras.

Reasoning for black flash for some of the cams:
1- not allow trespassers an easy way to see the flash of the cameras
2- not push mature bucks to make a permanent detour around the cameras while I'm trying to use the cams to track them to bedding areas so I can figure out where to set up on them to catch them in day light

Do those two reasons outweigh the reasons for doing everything in IR?
Will trespassers see the ir and will mature bucks detour around the ir?

Do those two reasons outweigh the reasons for doing everything in IR?
Will trespassers see the ir and will mature bucks detour around the ir?
I'm not sure there is conclusive proof of IR vs BF. Any feedback here is likely anecdotal. Choose what you believe.

Regarding trespassers, I think the solar panels will make the cams noticeable, depending how close anyone would get to me the cam/panel. Which cam mount are you going to use? Some of them stick out off the tree, which will also make them more visible.

I'm not sure there is conclusive proof of IR vs BF. Any feedback here is likely anecdotal. Choose what you believe.

Regarding trespassers, I think the solar panels will make the cams noticeable, depending how close anyone would get to me the cam/panel. Which cam mount are you going to use? Some of them stick out off the tree, which will also make them more visible.
For the trespassing I'll put the solar on the opposite side of the tree...they're coming in from the north.
Several anecdotals on ir vs black flash add up to reality, but it would be nice if someone could show some actual research on it. Will look around more on line for a study or two.

Hi, My friend purchased new L series as well and we have the FW updated and changed settings to narrow and we are still getting all the cameras taking very granular and now getting more blurry pictures even during the day with zero fog or low dew points. I called in about this for the second time and they know about the issue and have no fix they said. I find this hard to believe as you think they would of tested the cameras for a year. When I compared the J series camera pictures in the same spot and time to L series and its not even close to same quality. Wish I would of kept my J series now as its getting hard to tell how many points a decent buck has from 15 ft away not moving. Plus the CS is very poor as I sent in a camera that stopped linking up and they were suppose to refund my shipping cost as I followed their instructions and now after 3 week of my camera coming back, they said they "lost " the receipt copy. I'm sorry but that never should happen in the first place as a email prepaid label should be sent to us. Either CL straighten this company out or we are done, poor cameras now, and basically zero CS online or by call.