Cuddelink L series Q & A

Adding another three L Black-Flash cameras to the Cuddelink system. What is the battery life users are getting Lithium vs Alkaline? While I may add solar down the road, these will be the first non-solar on my system so I’m looking at insights as to battery life.
I am getting upwards of 9 months or more out of a set of batteries and no solar on low traffic cameras.

I think temperatures play a big role in battery life. I noticed this spring one was giving me low battery warnings, but once it warmed up it stopped. I like that, it gives me plenty of time to get to it before it dies completely.

Last edited:
planning on upgrading my J cams with 3 new L's

Giddy up

I am getting upwards of 9 months or more out of a set of batteries and no solar on low traffic cameras.

I think temperatures play a big role in battery life. I noticed this spring one was giving me low battery warnings, but once it warmed up it stopped. I like that, it gives me plenty of time to get to it before it dies completely.
yeah, pretty much the exact same battery results for me, which I think is decent compared to all the other cams I've used. My cell unit, with the bigger battery pack, is a battery hog, and so is the one repeater I still use. I only run my network from about August thru end of January, and I pull everything. Reupping 60+ d cells does cost some ching ching.
Finally bought a couple of the solar panels last month, so I'll get them installed and see how everything works. Judging by what everyone is saying, I expect it to work fine, and will likely buy a bunch more.

yeah, pretty much the exact same battery results for me, which I think is decent compared to all the other cams I've used. My cell unit, with the bigger battery pack, is a battery hog, and so is the one repeater I still use. I only run my network from about August thru end of January, and I pull everything. Reupping 60+ d cells does cost some ching ching.
Finally bought a couple of the solar panels last month, so I'll get them installed and see how everything works. Judging by what everyone is saying, I expect it to work fine, and will likely buy a bunch more.
The one question I have with the solar panels is how long do you leave a set of D cells in the camera before we need to start worrying about battery leakage and corrosion? It does seem that Cuddeback has design features to make it not a worry, but has anyone had problems with leaky batteries? The way things are going, I may be running some sets of D cells for multiple years.

that's a great question, but I doubt anyone would be able to answer it with any certainty. I know you're wondering about this because like me, you've experienced batteries leak when you didn't expect them to. Since I leave my cams out only around 6 months, I think I'll be fine leaving them in. But, I'll likely apply some di-electric grease on all the terminals/contacts in the units, so at least if it happens it won't corrode them beyond repair.

The one question I have with the solar panels is how long do you leave a set of D cells in the camera before we need to start worrying about battery leakage and corrosion? It does seem that Cuddeback has design features to make it not a worry, but has anyone had problems with leaky batteries? The way things are going, I may be running some sets of D cells for multiple years.
We've had a total of +/-60 cuddelink cameras on 3 systems (700 acres total now) for several years. We leave them all out year round. Over a year ago we purchased the new shade solar panels for all of them - quite the investment. Most of the cameras are run with the battery compartment empty, but we do keep batteries in the home cameras, and those in what we consider more important or extra shady areas. This setup has been a game changer, as we seldom have to visit a camera and disturb the area.

Have yet to experience batteries leaking since switching to solar, but if I'm not mistaken, batteries typically don't leak unless they are drawn down VERY low. And I'm not sure they get used at all with the new solar panels.

We are now learning that we still need to visit cameras at least once a year, to clean spider webs from the lenses and check for ant infestation (mostly the J cameras). Also to check straps and mounts. Why do those only break when the water is up enough to ruin the camera? They never break and drop the cameras on dry ground.😖

Last edited:
I am satisfied with the battery life in my cameras as well. Thought I might invest in solar panels when I 1st got the cameras, now I don't really feel like I have the need to. Mine are all relatively easy to access so battery replacement is not really an issue. If I was concerned about human intrusion in a location I would just replace batteries in late Summer and know I would be good to go through season.

Cuddeback really needs to adjust this. It’s simply not true. I forgot how frustrating it can be to find an SD card to pair with my new cameras…
4ecb129c95bb6120918eeb8bed00cd4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuddeback really needs to adjust this. It’s simply not true. I forgot how frustrating it can be to find an SD card to pair with my new cameras…

what size and which model are you having an issue with? i tell people 16gb is plenty big for any cuddelink camera since you can remotely clear the card

SD cards only go to 32. Anything 64GB or higher is technically SDXC. I'm using these (64GB) in some L series cams with no issue.

SanDisk 64GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K, UHD, SD Card - SDSDXV2-064G-GNCIN https://a.co/d/0cmSmBAe

what size and which model are you having an issue with? i tell people 16gb is plenty big for any cuddelink camera since you can remotely clear the card

L series IR. Like Grizz said, 32 is realistically as high as you can go. I have a couple 64’s that took in my black flashes last summer, but most wouldn’t. I don’t see why they leave their website saying 256. Ain’t happening.

I've found 8s to be too small. 16 is plenty, but 32s are cost effective enough that they are my new standard.

L series IR. Like Grizz said, 32 is realistically as high as you can go. I have a couple 64’s that took in my black flashes last summer, but most wouldn’t. I don’t see why they leave their website saying 256. Ain’t happening.

we definitely have people running 64GB in L series but i have them testing a few at the office to see if there is any issue. What brand did you try? we have seen issues on the GSM cards of all sizes.

we definitely have people running 64GB in L series but i have them testing a few at the office to see if there is any issue. What brand did you try? we have seen issues on the GSM cards of all sizes.

Don’t take my criticisms too hard. I LOVE the Cuddelink. It’s just the SD cards drive me mad.
e60560ff16d7572a318c22b70ccd97e8.jpg

Don’t take my criticisms too hard. I LOVE the Cuddelink. It’s just the SD cards drive me mad.
e60560ff16d7572a318c22b70ccd97e8.jpg

im not , sandisk are typically solid and what we recommend.

im not , sandisk are typically solid and what we recommend.
The Extreme series cards are usually more reliable.

Over time, I've had SD card issues with almost all the different camera brands I've used. Personally, I'd like to see that taken out of the equation, and cams come with some builtin storage, with a port for expansion.

I had issues with 64g too, and I posted something about that.....
"I just pulled fresh from the package a L cam and a sandisk 64g card. Card test returned check sd. Clear sd returned check sd.
I pulled it, checked and the file sysytem was NTSF and then reformatted to exFAT file system. Inserted in to camera and card passes test and the camera successfully cleared it.
It appears they do not like NTSF file system which was already loaded on the cards I bought.

Also, it will not load firmware from a card using NTSF file system from what I just tested."

Also, it will not load firmware from a card using NTSF file system from what I just tested."
NTSF is for Windows. Pretty much everything else uses some version of FAT.

@john volkman, is this still accurate? (For L series)
1720459980091.png

Last edited:
aspect is fixed in the L series and cant be changed , it may let you in the controls online but it wont do anything
Good to know. I think it lets me choose in Camp, but not the app. Honestly, the config experience should be camera specific.