Cuddelink L series Q & A

I just lost (as in terminal) my third J camera to ants. It seems inherent to the design that they can get in. While I've liked the protection and security of CuddeSafes they seem to invite insect infestation, at least in my location.

The L design seems more resistant to ants due to the way it seals. Anyone have any experience/comments on this?

I just lost (as in terminal) my third J camera to ants. It seems inherent to the design that they can get in. While I've liked the protection and security of CuddeSafes they seem to invite insect infestation, at least in my location.

The L design seems more resistant to ants due to the way it seals. Anyone have any experience/comments on this?

Exact same. I've lost about 6 so far and feel it's just a matter of time until all the J cameras succumb to ants or water intrusion. That being said, a few select locations have lasted a really long time. The new L cameras seem the most ant resistant, and the G cameras have been fairly reliable.

Spaniel,
My L was full of ants the other day. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the camera malfunctioning, but it looks about 1000 pictures on a time-lapse mode....not sure if it was an electrical gremlin from that or from connecting a solar panel.

I do agree the cuddebacks seem far more attractive to ants than my other cameras, although I have had ants in some older Moultrie's and one SpyPoint. I am moving away from mounting on trees in favor of T-Post mounts with permethrin soaked material at the base. If T-posts are not possible, consider a fence post and do a similar soaking with Permethrin. If you use trees, try hanging a some bay leaves around your camera. This will repel ants and serve as a form of camouflage. This was a trick I learned from Moultrie when I was having issues with their cameras. It did seem to work, and this thread reminded me of this fix.

I am looking for clarification to something I think I know. I deployed two BF L series cameras yesterday and forgot to update the firmware, they are running 1.6. It seems like they are working, but I just wanted to clarify that things will still function until I get them updated?
I had not idea we had so many updates since last year. Most my units are running 1.4 and have been fine other than some stuck filters on two of them.

Spaniel,
My L was full of ants the other day.
Ants get in either a little slit on each side of the J cameras where the battery back attaches to the camera, or through the front door and in the SD card slot. But I have not seen accessible entry points on the L cameras. Was the L camera itself full of ants, or were ants between it and a cuddysafe? If the camera itself, could you find the point of entry?

I am looking for clarification to something I think I know. I deployed two BF L series cameras yesterday and forgot to update the firmware, they are running 1.6. It seems like they are working, but I just wanted to clarify that things will still function until I get them updated?
I had not idea we had so many updates since last year. Most my units are running 1.4 and have been fine other than some stuck filters on two of them.
yes it will function fine, one update has to do with color correction on daytime images and another helps with external power surge that was affecting the ir filter on IR models on about 1% of the cameras.

Thank you John. I am glad they identified the filter issue. It has been a very hit and miss problem affecting less than 20% of my units. I imagine it was tough to figure out.

Thank you John. I am glad they identified the filter issue. It has been a very hit and miss problem affecting less than 20% of my units. I imagine it was tough to figure out.
ti typically only affected the cameras it did in cold temps, again it was a very low percentage , an even lower percentage arent corrected by the update , if that is the case the camera needs to go back and it will be replaced.

@john volkman is there anyway currently to set up a system to which you can hardwire a cuddeback directly to a computer and get pictures straight to a PC. I’m currently building on my hunting property and was wondering if these capabilities. In some of the old manuals they showed this to be possible. I figured they never pursued it cause they would lose money without the need for purchasing cell plans but let me know thanks

@john volkman is there anyway currently to set up a system to which you can hardwire a cuddeback directly to a computer and get pictures straight to a PC. I’m currently building on my hunting property and was wondering if these capabilities. In some of the old manuals they showed this to be possible. I figured they never pursued it cause they would lose money without the need for purchasing cell plans but let me know thanks
there isnt and there likely wont be, there have been people who figured it out on their own utlilizing a wireless SD card.

there isnt and there likely wont be, there have been people who figured it out on their own utlilizing a wireless SD card.

I have used the Spypoint cable to connect a Home unit in the house window to my laptop/computer with USB 2.0 male to usb b mini female. Used Synctoy to copy pictures from this "cable/sd card" to my Onedrive. Set up Task Manager to run Synctoy between the 2 folders every 5 minutes. You need to keep up with deleting the pictures that you don't want. This keeps space on the cable/sd card. Works for me.... https://www.spypoint.com/en/products/cell-link-cable/cl-cbl

Adding another three L Black-Flash cameras to the Cuddelink system. What is the battery life users are getting Lithium vs Alkaline? While I may add solar down the road, these will be the first non-solar on my system so I’m looking at insights as to battery life.

Adding another three L Black-Flash cameras to the Cuddelink system. What is the battery life users are getting Lithium vs Alkaline? While I may add solar down the road, these will be the first non-solar on my system so I’m looking at insights as to battery life.
L series are D cell cameras, you cant get lithium d cell, use Rayovac high energy alkaline in them , i would always suggest using an external power source in addition to the internals , if you just run the 4 d internals- i wouldn't expect much more than 60 days

Thanks, John. I went ahead and ordered the solar panels for them. I’ve gotten spoiled with solar cams that don’t need battery replacements every two months!

Thanks, John. I went ahead and ordered the solar panels for them. I’ve gotten spoiled with solar cams that don’t need battery replacements every two months!
thats a good call, solar is a difference maker on this system, i leave mine out year round and dont touch them

thats a good call, solar is a difference maker on this system, i leave mine out year round and dont touch them
When you do solar.....do you also need to have a rechargeable battery pack for each camera to store the power?

When you do solar.....do you also need to have a rechargeable battery pack for each camera to store the power?
no, the panel has its own battery and that is what runs the camera, the 4d internal camera alkaline batteries are just back up and rarely get used. There are people running them with solar and the camera empty but that leaves the camera without power if the panel is comprised somehow .

Two low glow IR with sun and shade panels headed my way…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 356