Cover crop/bedding mix

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
I have a 1 acre area I’m considering trying to make a cover crop bedding area. I have Egyptian wheat and sunflower seed on hand and want it to be talll but also offer food into fall.

Currently the area is a 1st year plot containing a mix of rye, red clover, sunflower, soybean, radish, turnip and rape. Also a decent amount of cool season grass and weeds.

Not sure how I should approach this in spring exactly and wanted to see what advice I could get on what else to possibly add and timing of planting/procedure for planting to attempt to throw and mow something like this.

Are you wanting forage or grain? I think corn would fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaning towards forage but cover above all. Hoping it will be able to hold deer after corn and bean harvest in the area as it’s in a pretty low cover area

I do a mix of e-wheat, sorghum, millet, sunflowers kind of a whatever I have left from the previous year but this is the base. I usually get too impatient and want to plant something so the middle to the end of May I start looking to get it in the ground so I lightly disc it and cultipack it in. This next year I'm going to try and wait a little longer and do a throw and mow/roll if there is enough thatch otherwise I'll disc it lightly again. The deer really like it and it acts as a screen but I can't really say I've ever seen them bed in it. Here's some pics from this last year.

Planting
Ko6SExJ.jpg

A little over a month's growth.
ht9JPI0.jpg

xKOBYdP.jpg

Mid Aug. some ragweed and grasses in there but they don't seem to care.
BiXVCE3.jpg

12CYwfY.jpg

6JbqLRR.jpg

2oH4ZN3.jpg

Oct. / Nov.
QnsD1Y2.jpg

dvyHpUC.jpg

Any particular rates on what you put in that mix? I expect some foxtail and ragweed for sure and that’s fine. Another patch on this land was fallow and grew 10’ tall ragweed which looked awesome in summer but thinned our a lot once frost hit, but they did bed in it some in summer anyway.

Any particular rates on what you put in that mix? I expect some foxtail and ragweed for sure and that’s fine. Another patch on this land was fallow and grew 10’ tall ragweed which looked awesome in summer but thinned our a lot once frost hit, but they did bed in it some in summer anyway.
I was shooting for 40#/acre of seed which was a little on the heavy side. Someone else on here showed the smart mix seed calculator on Green coverseed.com. It seems to give good results
https://smartmix.greencoverseed.com/

results look good!