Cleth Spring Spraying Questions

Not a drop in the 10 day for me still.. Might have gotten a few hundredths this morning but not a drop in the 10 day still. Glad my plots weren't tilled and there's a bunch of duff on the surface!

So....I was re-reading about the Nitrosurf product I have on my shelf at my land. AND it seems they are saying you do NOT Need to add any more. AMS when using this product.

This seems contrary to what was said above. Who is right....Keystone Pest or this forum? (see post # 61 above.) Maybe I read it wrong? grin

Here is info on Nitrosurf:
index.php

I have used this a couple times now with very good success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found this thread. I bought some liquid AMS from the co-op this summer, rate was 13 oz/ac, used it with 53% gly at 1 qt/acre and one pint of 2,4-D. Stuff was solid on everything. Guy at the co-op said I could reduce gly rate from 2 Qt down to 1 Qt by going to the 53% w/AMS (had been using 41% previously).

Not a drop in the 10 day for me still.. Might have gotten a few hundredths this morning but not a drop in the 10 day still. Glad my plots weren't tilled and there's a bunch of duff on the surface!
Last year the faucet shut off around the 4th week of August and we didn't get a drop until mid October. Sat on several hundred lbs of rye because of it.

This year it shut off a few weeks earlier which likely spells the end for most of our brassica plantings. Going to be a rough fall at this rate.

I couldn't even get granular AMS at the coop this year. But I've had foggy's issue of it not dissolving in the past. Actually think it was responsible for the impeller pump exploding inside my hydraulic powered sprayer pump. After that I tried to pre dissolve it. About a pound in a 5 gallon bucket of water and stir forever.

Never tried hot water but I will now.

I couldn't even get granular AMS at the coop this year. But I've had foggy's issue of it not dissolving in the past. Actually think it was responsible for the impeller pump exploding inside my hydraulic powered sprayer pump. After that I tried to pre dissolve it. About a pound in a 5 gallon bucket of water and stir forever.

Use hot water for sure Bill. I have never had the sprayable not fully dissolve quickly when mixed with hot water. None of my sprayers have ever been clogged while using it…but then again, I have never added anything but liquids in them.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one Bill. That experience kinda soured me on dissolving AMS. Never considered hot water.....but I had let some of those granolas in cold water for a long time....and still had issues. Thanks for the hot water info here......always something to learn. The other thing is some AMS is made to dissolve.....and not sure the "regular" AMS will do the same as easily as the former. So much to learn.....so little time. Grin.

I think I found some liquid AMS around here about 15-20 years ago....but I haven't seen it since.

I use Sprayable AMS and dissolve it in hot water. It readily dissolves in hot water. I put it in a 1 gallon pail and stir it while adding the hot water and it dissolves quickly.

View attachment 56433

17# of Sprayable AMS per 100 gallons of water. For many of us that means 1.7#/10 gallons of water as we seldom mix up 100 gallons of spray solution. 1 Solo cup full is about a pound. Add the AMS to the water first as you are filling the sprayer and then add the herbicide only AFTER the AMS has been added. I used to only use it with Gly as well but nowadays I find myself using it for all herbicides I use.

View attachment 56434

As AMS is ~15% nitrogen, can it be used alone in a spray tank as a foliar fertilizer?

Thanks, what mix rate per gallon would you recommend?
That I don’t know. I don’t use granular AMS.

I would look up some stuff on foliar fertilizer and make a guesstimate.

The only place ive bought AMS is the Runnings fleet and farm store near me. They've been out since I bought the last jug months ago so I'd be interested in the best place to buy a bunch online as well!

Edit: this is the stuff i have and with free shipping it doesn't seem like a bad buy. https://www.domyown.com/drexel-ams-supreme-p-10342.html

@Foggy47 - ordered some on Friday after making this post, it was delivered (with free shipping) already this morning. Thumbs up! Might have been a hair more expensive than in store price but not enough to exceed the time/gas saved picking it up.

@Foggy47 - ordered some on Friday after making this post, it was delivered (with free shipping) already this morning. Thumbs up! Might have been a hair more expensive than in store price but not enough to exceed the time/gas saved picking it up.
I ordered some yesterday too. Figured I better have it on the shelf the next time I spray. My Nitro-surf is supposed to have some nitrogen in the mix.....but not sure it's enough in some cases. I do not see any harm in adding some to my tank.

Does the hot water trick work on granular atrazine, anyone? I've had problems with atrazine on my Fimco sprayer clogging the pump diaphragm in the past. Thought maybe the warm water would help dissolve it similar to the granular AMS.

If asked I would tell the questioner - an amateur (no offense intended) using an economical sprayer - to AVOID using dry pesticides. Find a comparable liquid. Make your life easy(ier). Dry pesticides are created to reduce logistics expense. Some or much of that expense is transferred to the user. "Professional" level sprayers have agitators and re-circulation pumps to overcome the problem. Most cheap stuff does not and even if it does most are inadequate.

Just off the top of my head I would stop to think of the possible outcomes of using warm or hot water. Symbols for chemical reactions are dancing in my head - and I don't recognize any of them.

There are some dry products manufactured with the problem in mind. The word escapes me at the moment.

But that's just my advice....

Ok so I’m starting to plan for the spring (going to be really busy) and want to know for frost seeding into existing, sparse clover plot..can I frost seed (or even overseed depending on your lingo) in about mid-late April or so and then Spray with cleth like I would with brassica seeds in the fall with RU or do I have to wait a bit after hitting the grass with cleth..I know that cleth won’t hurt the existing clover but will it hurt the new clover that is just starting to pop if they are spread at the same time..thanks everyone!

Ok so I’m starting to plan for the spring (going to be really busy) and want to know for frost seeding into existing, sparse clover plot..can I frost seed (or even overseed depending on your lingo) in about mid-late April or so and then Spray with cleth like I would with brassica seeds in the fall with RU or do I have to wait a bit after hitting the grass with cleth..I know that cleth won’t hurt the existing clover but will it hurt the new clover that is just starting to pop if they are spread at the same time..thanks everyone!
I think you’ll read different things.

It might yellow the clover a little, but I would spray cleth anytime over clover.

New plan, as there are a few more/thicker weeds than I had thought…spot spray as soon as I see greening up with gly then quick seed the clover and some chicory into that part of the field and also all around..have a ton of gly sitting around and no cleth and those weeds are more broadleaf than grass…

Will clethoderm kill swamp grass that can get 4 feet tall.