Cleth Spring Spraying Questions

This one has all of them combined too.

Where do you buy that? I have been buying most of my chemical from Keystone unless I have a local source (like for Glyphosate). I would like an alternate source.....no co-ops and little ag sources unless I drive a fair distance. Mills Fleet does have a few things......and we have a TSC store opening a few miles up the road now......so maybe they will carry more of these products(?) or maybe not. Sourcing many things is difficult for me. The internet and UPS are my friends. Problem is.....you gotta plan ahead.

Where do you buy that? I have been buying most of my chemical from Keystone unless I have a local source (like for Glyphosate). I would like an alternate source.....no co-ops and little ag sources unless I drive a fair distance. Mills Fleet does have a few things......and we have a TSC store opening a few miles up the road now......so maybe they will carry more of these products(?) or maybe not. Sourcing many things is difficult for me. The internet and UPS are my friends. Problem is.....you gotta plan ahead.
The reason I use AMS supreme (no surfactant) is I found at tractor supply and bought a ton of it. Surfactant is only a small amount per tanks, so bought a 2.5 gallon of alligare 90 surfactant what will last a couple of years.

would crop oil work for that? I dont have any AMS (but could maybe get ahold of some if it will make the cleth perform better)

Does anyone know why nitrosurf is not supposed to be used with glyphosate? Says as much on the keystone site and I can't figure out the reasoning.

Does anyone know why nitrosurf is not supposed to be used with glyphosate? Says as much on the keystone site and I can't figure out the reasoning.
Weak acid herbicide. Also gly binds to calcium I’m soil and inactivates. So prevents that with hard water. Also causes uptake in plants with shot of N

Most Glyphosate already has a surfacant included. All that I see does.

would crop oil work for that? I dont have any AMS (but could maybe get ahold of some if it will make the cleth perform better)
Short answer is yes.

Long is some herbicides and plants do better with crop oil and some with NIS. If doing for a living I would use each for specifics situation. For food plot I always use NIS if surfactant needed. Sometimes you don’t want to use surfactant (because could cause damage to a crop you are trying to keep)

Most Glyphosate already has a surfacing included. All that I see does.
You pay a lot more for one that already has it. But it is fine to use as long as you want to be using a surfactant. If trying to “set back” clover but not kill it you would not want to use a surfactant

I want to make sure the cleth "sticks" as I am using such a small amount, but am really not sure how to do it in my spray on exit sprayer....would I just put the appropriate amount into the "clean" tank (I would probably use ~10 gallons for the spraying I am doing..or risk mixing it with the cleth itself?...not too worried about crop oil being left over in the tank

I want to make sure the cleth "sticks" as I am using such a small amount, but am really not sure how to do it in my spray on exit sprayer....would I just put the appropriate amount into the "clean" tank (I would probably use ~10 gallons for the spraying I am doing..or risk mixing it with the cleth itself?...not too worried about crop oil being left over in the tank
Mix in cleth tank. I use it with cleth also.

Is there any chance what you think is pasture grass in that pic could the tricticale and WR you seeded?

Is there any chance what you think is pasture grass in that pic could the tricticale and WR you seeded?
it is possible, but I dont have a great idea of what triticale looks like (I had good WR close by last year so I know what that looks like and alot of what is in that field is in big well-established looking clumps) and I probably won't know until I see it start to grow pretty well..one of my larger concerns was not seeing as much clover pop up in the fall as I did the year before, but I planted a different variety of more perennial (ladino, alsike, aberlasting some WI stuff and mammoth red).

it is possible, but I dont have a great idea of what triticale looks like (I had good WR close by last year so I know what that looks like and alot of what is in that field is in big well-established looking clumps) and I probably won't know until I see it start to grow pretty well..one of my larger concerns was not seeing as much clover pop up in the fall as I did the year before, but I planted a different variety of more perennial (ladino, alsike, aberlasting some WI stuff and mammoth red).

I only ask because that second picture looks like it could be rye. If I planted it that’s what I would be calling it. (Even though I might be very wrong) Because it wouldn’t be established clumps
like you describe. I just don’t know if I’d be ready to call it a failure until green up.

I only ask because that second picture looks like it could be rye. If I planted it that’s what I would be calling it. (Even though I might be very wrong) Because it wouldn’t be established clumps
like you describe. I just don’t know if I’d be ready to call it a failure until green up.
yeah I'm gonna give it a while later this spring and if it isn't what I think rye or triticale SHOULD look like, I'll hit it with cleth and overseed heavy (probably like late april into May. I know this isn't a great time to get clover going, but I think it could still work.

If you go that route there is nothing wrong with scratching the ground a bit and getting some oats in the as well. Plenty of real farms spring plant Alfalfa with oats as a nurse crop.

If you go that route there is nothing wrong with scratching the ground a bit and getting some oats in the as well. Plenty of real farms spring plant Alfalfa with oats as a nurse crop.
I like that idea a lot I know when I have planted clover and oats later in the spring they just take off very quickly with some rain and there’s a flock of turkeys across the road that I’ve been trying for years to get to come across to my place. A fresh green plot of oats and clover might just do the trick.

Turkeys can backfire with grains, the rain has to get ot them first.

Clethodim is very oily and needs a decent dose of surfactant. I would use the non-ionic over the crop oil. I'd use tank lceaner after using clethodim. I only bulk sprayed it once or twice. Now I just use clethodim in a 3 gal one for apple trees, fence lines, and stuff like that.

You can fill up the tank part of the way and use the wand to hose down the tank inside. Think one run of tank cleaner with a garden hose flush would be neough to switch to another herbicide. A little residual won't kill you there. Cleth is very pungent and will have some residue no matter how well you clean it. I'd remove the nozzles after cleaning and soak them in soapy water for awhile.

I like the smell of clethodim. Reminds me of being a kid around my family's grape vineyards.

Turkeys can backfire with grains, the rain has to get ot them first.

Clethodim is very oily and needs a decent dose of surfactant. I would use the non-ionic over the crop oil. I'd use tank lceaner after using clethodim. I only bulk sprayed it once or twice. Now I just use clethodim in a 3 gal one for apple trees, fence lines, and stuff like that.

You can fill up the tank part of the way and use the wand to hose down the tank inside. Think one run of tank cleaner with a garden hose flush would be neough to switch to another herbicide. A little residual won't kill you there. Cleth is very pungent and will have some residue no matter how well you clean it. I'd remove the nozzles after cleaning and soak them in soapy water for awhile.

I like the smell of clethodim. Reminds me of being a kid around my family's grape vineyards.
Agree with you on the turks getting to the grains..a friend had a 1/2 acre field that was real spotty after putting down 3 bushels of WR on it last fall..turkeys seemed to appear out of nowhere to eat the seed..

I pretty much think there's never a bad time to put clover down. If you don't have any plans of significantly disturbing the soil in may, I'd frost seed a chunk of that clover.

I pretty much think there's never a bad time to put clover down. If you don't have any plans of significantly disturbing the soil in may, I'd frost seed a chunk of that clover.
Oh that clover is going down it’s just a question of when…I like to have nice green plots early in the spring but if there is a month and a half delay it’s not going to be that big of a deal..