Cleth Spring Spraying Questions

This weather is making me really want to frost seed...lows in the 20s for the next couple days then up close to 60 next week...but at least the beginning of March looks cold so that will halt my mad seeding urges for the time being. I get like this EVERY SPRING and should definitely NOT order my seed until at least the 2nd week in March, but now that I have it I want it to be in the ground!!!

3 bushels in a half acre? Over 300 lbs/acre.....

3 bushels in a half acre? Over 300 lbs/acre.....
Yeah we planted that much because we just laid it out as a buffet for the turkeys..it still has a ton of bare dirt even after all that seed..(it was broadcast and we didn’t get enough rain to get it to germinate quickly enough before the turkeys pounced)..lesson learned

My father in law always frost seeded clover in the dark of the moon in February. I have many times even with snow on the ground. Most places that sell clover seed sell a lot in February.

so I am now approaching decision time and have one last question...I plan to spray my "bad" plot with cleth at 2 oz/gal (I know this is high but I want it to kill the grasses)...the plot has not really bounced back or shot up like i expected, but there is some good clover under the hay/grass...to note I did end up frost seeding this field in the end of March with clover.....some clumps are approaching a foot tall while most of it is in the 4-8" range...should I mow the plot down and let it grow a little before spraying or just spray as is?

Last edited:
so I am now approaching decision time and have one last question...I plan to spray my "bad" plot with cleth at 2 oz/gal (I know this is high but I want it to kill the grasses)...the plot has not really bounced back or shot up like i expected, but there is some good clover under the hay/grass...to note I did end up frost seeding this field in the end of March with clover.....some clumps are approaching a foot tall while most of it is in the 4-8" range...should I mow the plot down and let it grow a little before spraying or just spray as is?
That’s age old question. Depends how thick it is. If not too thick I would spray first then mow 2 weeks later.

Always use AMS and surfactant/crop oil also.

That’s age old question. Depends how thick it is. If not too thick I would spray first then mow 2 weeks later.

Always use AMS and surfactant/crop oil also.

Agree with @omicron1792 that you should spray first and mow later....and unlike Gly, Clethodim takes a while longer to do its magic so you need to be patient.

Here are some pics of an alfalfa/clover plot I planted a few years ago with a nurse crop of oats. I wanted to terminate the oats and I also had some pigweed come up so I tank-mixed Clethodim (1 pint/acre & 1 qt/acre crop oil) and Butyrac 200 - 2-4,DB @ 1 qt/acre). I sprayed the plot on July 8th although I probably should have sprayed sooner.

July 15th - 1 week later....was this really sprayed??
IMG_3420.jpg

July 19th - OK, now we are seeing a little progress...
IMG_3456.jpeg

July 26th - 18 days after spraying
IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

I finally mowed it on August 6th - about 1 month after spraying. I don't have a flail mower so I just mowed this with my brush hog and the wind rows were really not an issue.
IMG_3620.jpg

September 8th - All is good
IMG_3975 (1).jpeg

so went and checked last night after about a week straight of rain/showers...that grass/hay is now about a foot tall ...still gonna give it a go soon with cleth at 2oz/gal and see what happens...

so went and checked last night after about a week straight of rain/showers...that grass/hay is now about a foot tall ...still gonna give it a go soon with cleth at 2oz/gal and see what happens...
Don't forget to add the crop oil...

I use AMS supreme from rural king.

I have access to raw ammonium sulfate in the solid form..wonder what % w/w or w/v I should use in about 15 gallons of water...hmmmm
also I have very non-hard water with a higher pH..I think it was 7.5 when it was tested not long ago..

AMS is most often recommended at rates from 8.5 to 17 lb/100 gal spray volume on herbicide labels.

Still helps. Makes grass draw in the herbicide. Dual action of not letting water affect herbicide and causing weeds to grow quick and pull in death. Ha

from what I could tell, it looks like a 34% solution and I am spraying about 15 gallons, so I need .0375 gallons or right about 5 ounces...I may need to mix something up at work today...
cant tell if thats w/w or w/v but now I have to do math....

So take 10lbs/100 gallon. That’s 1.5lbs in 15 gallons of water.

Do AMS then cleth. Then crop oil. Shake in between each.

Update: looks like any of the smaller grasses are totally smoked, while the more mature rye and taller grasses are just starting to yellow..this is far better than I was expecting and the clover underneath is starting to be more visible!
0FCA2FFF-9356-4279-AA27-1A7640CFEBA8.jpeg

More yellowing occurring and the clover is way more evident (and we haven’t even gotten any rain!) added the pic down the dividing line between my “good” plot and the one I hit with cleth..quite an impressive difference 1255A624-6BB2-43C8-9375-14A943F5191A.jpeg
B5D3AA52-BD9C-4582-AD16-AB214AB6AB7C.jpeg

So are most of you guys mixing liquid AMS with cleth? I have always mix crop oil only with cleth.