building soil

Thank you for posting

bill

Good stuff. For the most part, this is what I'm doing on our property. The only time I do any tillage is to develop a fire break around areas I want to burn. The tilled area is immediately seeded down once I'm done burning.

I've touched on this subject in the past but this may help explain why some of our pest problems happen in food plots as well as deer preference or the lac of.

I've thought plenty about this topic and investing in a no till drill.
My biggest problem is my tractor is a JD4105 with no rear hydraulics, so I'd have to run a drill on my 3 pt. Plus we have a fair amount of hills around here that I don't want to hassle with a whole bunch.
Sure would be nice though.
It's been on my mind since I fall broadcasted some rye grain last year and saw this moisture difference in the soil a day after a .5" rain this spring after terminating the rye.

Attachments

• 20210526_204206.jpg
    20210526_204206.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 27
I don't own a drill and have a plot that I haven't tilled in 5+ years. Your cereal thatch is all that you need to establish your spring planting.

I don't own a drill and have a plot that I haven't tilled in 5+ years. Your cereal thatch is all that you need to establish your spring planting.
And, often times, the best conditions to be planting (broadcasting) are when the conditions are least fit for heavy equipment. When I see the snow melting and the water starting to run, that's when I'm out putting on all my cool season seeds. So long as they aren't landing in standing water, that's go time.

I know some guys with drills and after a few years, it is almost like they cant plant anymore if they dont use a drill

And, often times, the best conditions to be planting (broadcasting) are when the conditions are least fit for heavy equipment. When I see the snow melting and the water starting to run, that's when I'm out putting on all my cool season seeds. So long as they aren't landing in standing water, that's go time.

If you can plant during that time when you have spring and re-freeze because of fluctuating temps, bare ground will suck the seed in during this repeating freeze/thaw process.

I know some guys with drills and after a few years, it is almost like they cant plant anymore if they dont use a drill
I'd say this matches my observations in the organic and regenerative Ag space. People first get into it with a no-till drill but eventually realize they need some cultivation.

So you guys don't believe the Buffalo system for no till works over long periods of time? Is this due to compaction of the soil or a variety of other factors?

I haven't tried it but the theory of it is intriguing to me. Mostly in hopes of saving time and input costs by utilizing less equipment and fertilizer.

So you guys don't believe the Buffalo system for no till works over long periods of time? Is this due to compaction of the soil or a variety of other factors?

I haven't tried it but the theory of it is intriguing to me. Mostly in hopes of saving time and input costs by utilizing less equipment and fertilizer.
I think it works fine, but it's not practical for joe six packs like me. You need thousands (and likely tens of thousands) of dollars in equipment and sheds to do it as described (tractor, drill, roller). As far as soil building goes, you can do the same thing with a leaf blower, a rental mower, and clover.