MN bills introduced to allow crossbows during archery season.

I get wanting privacy and all but there aint much of anything but random deer, turkeys, and squirrels for the man to glean from my cell cams.
It's a lifestyle thing. All this data gathering isn't being used for anything good. I choose to not help any more than I have to.

I had initially typed out a list of mysteries we should have been able to solve with this elaborate surveillance state that's been built, but that would derail from the thread.

It's a lifestyle thing. All this data gathering isn't being used for anything good. I choose to not help any more than I have to.

I had initially typed out a list of mysteries we should have been able to solve with this elaborate surveillance state that's been built, but that would derail from the thread.
If you want to start a new thread, I'd be very interested in what they might be doing with trail camera pictures. I didn't even realize big brother had access to them.

If you want to start a new thread, I'd be very interested in what they might be doing with trail camera pictures. I didn't even realize big brother had access to them.
I was wondering about this the other day. I was wondering if a group like Seek One or Hunting Public guys could be getting access to certain companies to put them on deer.

*im not accusing, just a random musing of a guy wondering who could use that info and monetize off it. Cause at the end of the day those groups and the like are just click whores who need content.

The onx guy used his info to lease ground with exclusive access to public land to run and outfitting business so o guess anything’s possible

Last edited:
I was wondering about this the other day. I was wondering if a group like Seek One or Hunting Public guys could be getting access to certain companies to put them on deer.

*im not accusing, just a random musing of a guy wondering who could use that info and monetize off it. Cause at the end of the day those groups and the like are just click whores who need content.

The onx guy used his info to lease ground with exclusive access to public land to run and outfitting business so o guess anything’s possible
Can you send me a link to an article for that OnX guy? I have heard that from a few different people. I totally believe you, so much so that I am considering cancelling my subscription, but I like to verify.

Can you send me a link to an article for that OnX guy? I have heard that from a few different people. I totally believe you, so much so that I am considering cancelling my subscription, but I like to verify.
I just called my buddy in Idaho, he’s friends with one of Matt Rinellas best buds and they are all pushing the Hunt Quietly movement. His buddy started the thread on Rockslide forum for western hunting. They believe it’s been taken down because OnX is a sponsor and it created quite a stir. Unfortunately I can’t produce more than that right now.

I just called my buddy in Idaho, he’s friends with one of Matt Rinellas best buds and they are all pushing the Hunt Quietly movement. His buddy started the thread on Rockslide forum for western hunting. They believe it’s been taken down because OnX is a sponsor and it created quite a stir. Unfortunately I can’t produce more than that right now.
It wouldn't surprise me at all. I feel like if you run a business like OnX, you have to be very very careful how you handle that data. It doesn't take much to erode trust in your organization. These whispers are enough for me. I'm pretty sure I am dropping them.

I talked to a few guys hunting public in Iowa. They said it’s never been so busy on public land and the quality is going down big time.

The one guy said he used to see or even shoot an occasional 140 to 150 inch buck …, a 160 inch buck or even a Booner was not out of the question.

Now it’s slim pickings! The public land publicity is interesting, but it’s also added pressure and harvest to those public blocks of land !

It's still up, and looks like it's open. Just hasn't been any action since June.

It's still up, and looks like it's open. Just hasn't been any action since June.

I think they are referring to this one about onx?

It seems like an over-accusation to say the OnX founder used the data to lease private and block the public from public ground to me. Chances are the prior lessee's didn't let the public on either so just because he is the current lessee doesn't mean he found some opportunity to take something away from the public.

I generally like the hunt quietly movement. I think it's great for people to question their motivations for hunting. I'd be lying if there wasn't a point in my life where I was thinking about all the positive attention and likes i was going to get on the book while killing a pile of birds or an elk. It's clear that ego can cause some ugly things in relation to hunting. Any progress in keeping the bros from competing to hammer the hardest so they can brag for social media glory is good in my book.

Last edited:
C51EC027-FAED-45D2-9E1E-AFB1BF7AA5CF.jpeg

159FAE57-C342-4C9F-9DAB-8764DAE2355D.jpeg

Year 1, doesn’t seem like the crossbow had much change on the archery harvest number.

Interesting catch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the same thing that happened in WI. Initial harvest report differences were minimal and as the years went on, harvest increased as well as percentage of xbow.

The general attitude in my neighborhood is that there are plenty of opportunities to harvest deer and we don’t need expanded seasons. Most were not in favor of the expanded crossbow use and were not in favor of the early antlerless hunts.

Early antlerless season( and maybe even the youth hunt) seriously impede the bow season and the firearm harvest. We don’t like having early antlerless and youth at the same time. Just cancel the early antlerless all together.

The general attitude in my neighborhood is that there are plenty of opportunities to harvest deer and we don’t need expanded seasons. Most were not in favor of the expanded crossbow use and were not in favor of the early antlerless hunts.

Early antlerless season( and maybe even the youth hunt) seriously impede the bow season and the firearm harvest. We don’t like having early antlerless and youth at the same time. Just cancel the early antlerless all together.

Has there been any data that suggests the early antlerless results in more deer harvested than just having bonus doe tags available for other seasons?

I’d think it would move the needle a little just from parents shooting does while hunting with their kids on youth season but wonder how much it’s just a shift from deer that would have been harvested in the existing seasons.

Year 1, doesn’t seem like the crossbow had much change on the archery harvest number.
In a year where firearm harvest was down 8.7% archery harvest was down 1.4%.

I don’t think anyone expected earth shattering numbers to come out [Edit: i take that back, lots of people have lots of bad takes. I don't think anyone with a reasonable grasp on various regs and impacts thought there would be a big swing in #s]. The archery harvest as a portion of total harvest and % of archery harvest from crossbows will go up like it has in WI. More bucks will be killed than would have been without xbow for all. More deer will experience pressure earlier in the season than they would without xbow for all. Those things add up to some archery and gun hunters having lesser hunting quality than they would have. I don’t think the crossbow season impacted my hunting at all this year but I also don’t know what is happening with all my neighbors.

Last edited:
This is the same thing that happened in WI. Initial harvest report differences were minimal and as the years went on, harvest increased as well as percentage of xbow.
From what I saw in PA, it makes experienced archery hunters a lot more lethal. But there is a learning curve for the rifle hunters

What I see with crossbow use is a fair bit of switching from compound to crossbow by experienced hunters for a number of reasons. I have not really seen an increase in the number of deer these folks kill with a crossbow - in fact - most end up killing fewer deer - as in my group of hunters. But, where I see a big increase in harvest is from new “bow hunters” - as in my grand daughters and wives who have not previously bow hunted. My grand daughters typically are killing deer with a crossbow before they are ten years old. New wives to the family are killing deer with a crossbow that they would have never even hunted if they had to use a compound. It is the new to archery that I see adding potentially an increase to total archery harvest. That said, in my state, there are still more compound deer kills than crossbow deer killed.

Between this thread and Dawgs' thread about season regrets, it occurred to me crossbows could eventually help with herd management, and actually make some hunting better. There were several comments (myself included) that made the comment about not taking enough does in the early archery season or at all. If you watch a number of interviews with deer biologists, they unanimously recommend taking does early in the season for many of the reasons mentioned in the regrets thread. If crossbows are getting more people into early archery that would otherwise just be firearm hunting during the rut, maybe that means more does will be killed and the herd dynamics will be improved or maintained. This is certainly something we and our neighbors need to do a better job of in MO where we have too many deer. I know with the deer numbers being way down in MN this isn't quite as relevant, but I would think it might be in a year or two after this mild winter.