MN bills introduced to allow crossbows during archery season.

Or if you're hunting a specific buck...you go to a stand before daybreak, 15 minutes after daylight the bucks pic gets taken at another stand or location. So now your hunt is done for the day?

What if you hunt in area like a few of my properties where some areas have cell service and other parts are in a valley without service. Deer's pic is taken on cell camera on bluff top and you're in the valley and harvest him two hours later but never saw the image due to no signal, then what?
You'd need to turn them off during season or the cell companies could easily come up with a 24 hour delay setting.

You'd need to turn them off during season or the cell companies could easily come up with a 24 hour delay setting.
Is it just cell cams or all cameras. Walk into your stand and pull a card out of non cell cam and see the buck you were after. How is anyone going to know?

Cuddelink sends batches of pictures. You get in stand at four in afternoon and kill your buck at five oclock. Field dressing buck and phone dings and you get several pics of buck that were taken before noon. This will be a cluster

I'd love to see how they plan to get your pics to prove that deer was on your camera the same day it was shot.

That makes a lot of sense. So if you saw a doe on your trail cam that day - can you not shoot any doe - or are they all named and you can identify each and every one?

Haha good point. Going to be hard/impossible to enforce in many cases. That said, it'd be easy to avoid breaking the law - dont look at any pics on a day you're hunting.

I'd love to see how they plan to get your pics to prove that deer was on your camera the same day it was shot.
I was thinking about that too. At what point is a warden legally entitled to look at your phone to try to prove something? Even then, it'd be awful hard to prove one had seen any pictures on an app from a cell phone just by looking at said app.

I could get away with breaking most hunting laws on the books if I wanted to. There isn't much I couldn't get away with on my own property. I don't see how this one would be much different. Most people who abused the law would get away with it. A few who don't know how to keep their mouths shut would get caught and made an example of. That would ultimately deter most hunters from doing it. A few would continue using cell cams for hunting and there likely isn't much anyone can do about it if they are smart.

I like cell cams, but I understand they could help a hunter get a deer. I just hope we don’t get to the point of a game warden walking around looking at your trees for cameras. You want to save deer cut back on the seasons or eliminate seasons.

The same group that added every season under the sun (early Muzzy, Youth, antlerless, late Muzzy, crossbow, long rifle seasons)are now worried about cell cams ?

THe list is growing longer. I did not know about Kansas. I know a few folks still using them there. Anyone confirm this? Edit - kansas ban on public land

in Nevada and Arizona, trail cameras are banned for hunting purposes. In Montana, Utah, Kansas, New Hampshire and Alaska, the use of wireless or cellular cameras is prohibited during the hunting season.

In whitetail country it seems like the concern with cell cams is more of an ethical "fair chase" angle issue than it is a deer population management issue as far as game agencies are concerned.

In UT, NV, AZ, etc where a huge percentage of hunting/land is on public and animals have very limited places to get water, something was done because having 20 hunters set up cameras on a single water hole comes with associated problems.

Last edited:
To my knowledge KS banned camera's on public land only. Anything goes on private land.

As to the "same day" laws and does... We all know they aren't going to care unless it's a big buck and questions or accusals arise.

My guess to phone searches. IF there is enough evidence to pursue the case maybe they can acquire a court order to confiscate the phone and do a search?

There are literally fish locators so good you can catch an individual fish by casting to it 100+ feet away and 50+ feet below the water's surface, and we are going to talk about the ethics of a cell camera and searches?

What's next? I feel like I've seen it all now.

There are literally fish locators so good you can catch an individual fish by casting to it 100+ feet away and 50+ feet below the water's surface, and we are going to talk about the ethics of a cell camera and searches?

What's next? I feel like I've seen it all now.
You didn't hear? Fish don't have feelings like mammals. :emoji_wink:

My state will probably eventually make cell cams mandatory, give free ones to every hunter, force their registration, label them property and heavily tax them. Don't trust these mother-weffers.

Only models the state can access/monitor pictures on though..

To my knowledge KS banned camera's on public land only. Anything goes on private land.

As to the "same day" laws and does... We all know they aren't going to care unless it's a big buck and questions or accusals arise.

My guess to phone searches. IF there is enough evidence to pursue the case maybe they can acquire a court order to confiscate the phone and do a search?
This is where the user agreement is so important. I'd venture to guess most cell cam user agreements read the same way, but Tactacam for example has it right in there terms of service that you're signing up for them to hand your info over to the authorities when they want it, and without your consent. I would imagine the states that are going after this have the back channels opened up with the major cam companies already to simply give them a geo fence, identify all cams within the fence, and then pull all the pictures they want.

From the tactacam user agreement page 4, section 3, section E, bullet point iv:

1704227734004.png

I think I'm sending my cam back. I just don't want any part of this system.

I think I'm sending my cam back. I just don't want any part of this system.

I get wanting privacy and all but there aint much of anything but random deer, turkeys, and squirrels for the man to glean from my cell cams.