Neighboring land for sale

I've owned 3 small (40 to 47 acre) hunting farms in different parts of the county since 2006. There are lots of neighbors touching these 3 places combined. There hasn't been a single acre of any neighbor that has been for sale in the time I've owned them. And I see nothing in the near future.

If your wife is good with it - buy the land.

I think material costs are still high. In a couple of years inflation and interest rates should come down. May be worthwhile to hold of on building.

I was thinking this as well.

One thing seems certain....is that if you NEED to get your money back.....selling the land will do so PDQ. Always a market for land if the price is not crazy. Your not "spending" the money....just putting it into a tangible asset. Also, can usually borrow money on land when you need to.

Buy baby, BUY!

Good point.

I don’t own any land I regret buying. But there is a piece next door I did not think I could afford at the time, and I deeply regret not buying it when I had the chance.

I don’t own any land I regret buying. But there is a piece next door I did not think I could afford at the time, and I deeply regret not buying it when I had the chance.
IMO.....Almost without a doubt....unless you are paying a crazy high price......if you have 10+ years to let the land appreciate.....you will be glad you bought (as long as you can afford the purchase).

The problem for me becomes....that you get too damn old to get the appreciation AND do the work on the land. At 77.....who wants to clear land or plant trees? Not many. FORE!

Sell what u were gonna put in the shed, cancel the shed, buy the land, and add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for buying it, and quick.
You can always do the build in a few years you can’t buy the land in a few years.

Like in Trading Places, "buy, buy, buy, buy" They aren't making anymore land next to you, you can always build a shed and add on if so desired.

You've been waiting for it for 15 years and now that it's coming up for sale your going to take a pass! That would be like the cute girl you never asked out in high school, you'll be thinking about that non-move for a long time... I do agree that the wife needs to be on board though, with the land not the high school sweetheart!

A for sale sign just appeared on the 19.5 acres of farmland across the road from me a couple of days ago. I walked down the driveway yesterday to take a closer look to see if the price was listed. It only had a phone number on it. Looked out the window a couple hours later and the sign was gone!

But it quickly, it doesn't last long.......

A for sale sign just appeared on the 19.5 acres of farmland across the road from me a couple of days ago. I walked down the driveway yesterday to take a closer look to see if the price was listed. It only had a phone number on it. Looked out the window a couple hours later and the sign was gone!

But it quickly, it doesn't last long.......
Slightly different track to the same issue. We are good friends with a mother and daughter who have been relators in the area for a fairly long time. When we were starting to get a little desperate for buying a farm that met our wants they told us to find the land we wanted and they would go make an offer to the owner to see if they would sell. They said a lot of transactions happen that way. Point being a "For Sale" sign doesnt always have to be present to buy something. Sure a realtor might cost you a little, but if you want to stay anonymous until the offer is on paper that is a legitimate way to go. We all dream of being good neighbors and having neighbors offer us the opportunity to buy first if they choose to sell, but that cant always be the case.

Sell what u were gonna put in the shed, cancel the shed, buy the land, and add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had built a 50x60 shop, but then I started working out of it, and I need more space for the shop, and now that is putting my boat, atv, tractor, ice fishing stuff outside. The garage will be built this spring. The house can wait a couple years. What we have is nice, but we just want to get away from the stairs as we age. We can still handle them, but we don’t want to wait until we can’t handle them to plan it.

Slightly different track to the same issue. We are good friends with a mother and daughter who have been relators in the area for a fairly long time. When we were starting to get a little desperate for buying a farm that met our wants they told us to find the land we wanted and they would go make an offer to the owner to see if they would sell. They said a lot of transactions happen that way. Point being a "For Sale" sign doesnt always have to be present to buy something. Sure a realtor might cost you a little, but if you want to stay anonymous until the offer is on paper that is a legitimate way to go. We all dream of being good neighbors and having neighbors offer us the opportunity to buy first if they choose to sell, but that cant always be the case.

I know the neighbors well, and I ask if they are ready to sell me the land pretty much every time I talk to them. Friday they came to me and said they discussed it and are going to sell it this summer. I doubt they will post it, other than checking market value, because they know I want it.

In 2017 the land went for sale, but at that exact time, we literally just decided to build on our land and move here. Like the week before. At that time the previous neighbor came to me and gave me his high price he hoped to get, so I passed. A month later it sold for almost half of what he told me he wanted. I kicked myself for not making a smaller offer, but no way was I going to give what they asked. But today, I know I will pay more than the previous owner asked, but this owner built a shed, and fixed the well that was on it. I won’t let it go if the price is within reason.

This morning my son asked if he can go in on it with me, and split it. Which would be nice, being when we are gone, he is the only one of our kids that want our land. I haven’t ever purchased with co-owners, so I am not sure how to go about it. But I am sure the bank and title place does.

My wife asked, what happens if he decides to build on it, being we do have other children, and will have to divide equally in the will. But we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Is there any timber value on the land? Have it logged to help offset some of the purchase price?

I say buy it!

Stair are a thing as we age! We built our "forever house" 9yrs ago. It's got a full basement but the master bedroom, bathrooms, laundry, living room, and kitchen are all on the ground level. The basement will be for future family and friend visits.

I know the neighbors well, and I ask if they are ready to sell me the land pretty much every time I talk to them. Friday they came to me and said they discussed it and are going to sell it this summer. I doubt they will post it, other than checking market value, because they know I want it.

In 2017 the land went for sale, but at that exact time, we literally just decided to build on our land and move here. Like the week before. At that time the previous neighbor came to me and gave me his high price he hoped to get, so I passed. A month later it sold for almost half of what he told me he wanted. I kicked myself for not making a smaller offer, but no way was I going to give what they asked. But today, I know I will pay more than the previous owner asked, but this owner built a shed, and fixed the well that was on it. I won’t let it go if the price is within reason.
So this is a 40 with a newer shed and a functional well. Does that mean it has grid power also? And you mentioned about hoping to be under $150k so have funds to use elsewhere. My first two thoughts. 1. Be ready for some sticker shock... seriously. 2. Hold nose and buy anyway if does not jeopardize retirement finances or plans and wifey on board.

I’d buy the land.
Then sell to relatives under your conditions to finance your editions.

Attachments

• A4C665B5-D4E6-4E27-993F-EBE0F51A07C5.gif
    A4C665B5-D4E6-4E27-993F-EBE0F51A07C5.gif
    183.4 KB · Views: 13