bueller's blotter

My brassica plot exploded in the last two weeks following a urea application. If we get decent rain for the next month this plot could be one of the best I've grown to date. That is if the deer let it mature. They are in there day and night already.

DSCF1128_zpsbee94d5f.jpg

Red clover is bouncing back after being sprayed with gly when the brassicas were seeded.

DSCF1130_zps7cc8e1f7.jpg

Bulbs just starting to form.

DSCF1129_zps99497359.jpg

DSCF1131_zps441803fd.jpg

Good looking brassicas Bueller!

Looks great Bueller! I can only hope to have brassicas like that some day.

I think I really need to go nuts with the winter rye to build up a nice layer of thatch. Right now i've been planing at a rate of about 40lbs per 1/3 acre. I think i'll have to double it. It's just not coming in very thick. I think if I can get that going better it will probably help my brassica plantings.

I think I really need to go nuts with the winter rye to build up a nice layer of thatch. Right now i've been planing at a rate of about 40lbs per 1/3 acre. I think i'll have to double it. It's just not coming in very thick. I think if I can get that going better it will probably help my brassica plantings.
I use right about that rate, maybe slightly higher but not much. I've let it mature a couple times in the past and that really adds to the organic matter compared to terminating it in the spring and planting something else. I like rye but i think the years of buckwheat did more for my soil than anything else.

What rate of ghlyphosate did you use on that clover? I've seen some pretty impressive results suppressing alfalfa with ghlyphosate and seeding snap beans and sweet corn.
My early July planted brassicas are just starting to grow. You must have gotten a couple timely rains, because this summer was as dry as a bone for me. Things are getting better, we just got another .25 this morning.
Ed you need to try planting your rye in June or May. That is a great way to establish it before the summer dry season.

What rate of ghlyphosate did you use on that clover? I've seen some pretty impressive results suppressing alfalfa with ghlyphosate and seeding snap beans and sweet corn.
My early July planted brassicas are just starting to grow. You must have gotten a couple timely rains, because this summer was as dry as a bone for me. Things are getting better, we just got another .25 this morning.
Ed you need to try planting your rye in June or May. That is a great way to establish it before the summer dry season.
1.5 qts per acre. Planted this plot on the 27th of June. It was up and growing by the time it got dry. I know the dry weather slowed it down but the rye, clover, and weeds that I rolled down at planting helped conserve moisture keeping the brassicas alive. The cool nights and lack of "hot" days has also been a gift.

Brassicas that look like that in Juneau Cty. are truly impressive bueller....nicely done :)
You got to grow them the right way. Plotting like this is the best insurance you can get. Bueller doesn't play by the rules of conventional farming, and this is just another example you don't need bare soil to get great results. In fact, it's exceptional results in poor soil.
Kinda funny a couple years back I was in pissing matches trying to convey this type of management. The smart guys are already catching on, and well on their way.

Is this your sprinkler plot bueller? Looks great!
It is but the sprinklers covered less than half the area and I turned them off a couple weeks ago. I got better germination in the watered areas but that also resulted in the plants being too close together. This is going to have a negative effect on bulb growth which is what I was really aiming for. I also didn't like the "look" of the irrigated plants. They were kinda lime green/yellow compared to the dark green leaves on the non-irrigated portions. The areas of the plot that received nothing but rain have more space in between the plants and will likely have much bigger bulbs. And the plants look healthier and are roughly the same size as the irrigated ones.

Irrigated. IMO too thick and competing with each other for nutrients and space. Likely to have poor bulb growth.
DSCF1128_zpsbee94d5f.jpg

Non-irrigated. Much better spacing, looks healthier, and likely to have huge bulb growth.

DSCF1131_zps441803fd.jpg

You can see the color and coverage difference in this photo taken a couple weeks ago before I turned over the irrigation. Today the plot is one uniform color and the best looking plants are just out of reach of the irrigation. I use the irrigation as an insurance policy to get some of the plot up and running. It works, but sometimes too well.

DSCF1123_zps8f0f5b1b.jpg

Last week our new addition arrived 3 weeks early. The ride was pretty scary for the last couple months but as of now everything looks to be just fine! Deer camp will be extra special this year :).
  • IMG_20140910_214418_705.jpg

Congrats to you and the Mrs. Combination of pink and blue, Boy or Girl?

Congrats to both of you!

Awesome, congrats!

Congrats on the new hunting partner!