bueller's blotter

Torrential downpour here for the last 20 minutes or so with no signs of letting up yet, looks to be tracking straight east down I-90. Hopefully there will still be some rain left in the clouds after it travel 60 miles east for you guys.

I ended up with right around .75" from Friday - Monday. Not a great total considering all the storms in the area but the timing was very nice. It rained 4 afternoons in a row so the plants stayed wet for 12+ hours each day. I'll take that anytime over a 2" downpour followed by dry and sunny days.

Turnips at 5 weeks, before I hit them with urea at a rate of 150 lbs/acre.
DSCF1088_zps04863f61.jpg

DSCF1090_zpsf6a26bdd.jpg

DSCF1123_zps8f0f5b1b.jpg

Elderberries planted 4 years ago are loaded with berries.
DSCF1091_zpsa8805f2e.jpg

Pops planted this crab apple about 10 years ago and then pretty much "forgot" about it. Even without any weed control it is flourishing. Any guesses on the variety?
DSCF1038_zpsf5a088d0.jpg

DSCF1101_zps28a1bbb8.jpg

DSCF1103_zpseef86cea.jpg

DSCF1102_zps73ce902f.jpg

I pretty sure at least one of these is a choke cherry. Can anybody ID them based on my crappy photos? Oval leaves = black berries, long leaves = red berries.
DSCF1117_zpsc2bc6fa9.jpg

DSCF1118_zps210a631e.jpg

DSCF1115_zps7084e240.jpg

DSCF1119_zpsb0e2c70a.jpg

DSCF1120_zps5deed85a.jpg

Here is the coyote den where the pups have been living.
DSCF1104_zps1d72de91.jpg

DSCF1106_zpse5c188e8.jpg

DSCF1105_zps182f7d4d.jpg

DSCF1107_zpsf3e754a4.jpg

No sign of the adults for several months, just these little guys. I imagine as Turkey Creek said that the adults are staying nearby.

I was afraid that the coyote camera was going to catch them with a fawn or two. Thankfully all the fawns are still around and getting big fast.
PICT0033_zps66e3ca5c.jpg

We don't usually get many bucks on camera during the summertime so I was very happy to capture this bachelor group stopping by for a drink.
PICT0056_zps7a72479a.jpg

PICT0061_zpsa41c25d3.jpg

PICT0070_zpsaffacd5b.jpg

I pretty sure at least one of these is a choke cherry. Can anybody ID them based on my crappy photos? Oval leaves = black berries, long leaves = red berries.
DSCF1117_zpsc2bc6fa9.jpg

DSCF1118_zps210a631e.jpg

DSCF1115_zps7084e240.jpg

DSCF1119_zpsb0e2c70a.jpg

DSCF1120_zps5deed85a.jpg

I think the second one is a choke cherry, longer leaves and the beeries will turn dark

Those are great photo's bueller!..:);):cool:...looks like the water hole has been a great success. How often do you have to fill, or is it rain water only? How deep?

I think the second one is a choke cherry, longer leaves and the beeries will turn dark
Any idea on the other one?

Those are great photo's bueller!..:);):cool:...looks like the water hole has been a great success. How often do you have to fill, or is it rain water only? How deep?
Thanks! I never have to add water to it. Even during droughts it only goes down a couple inches. I think it's only around 16" deep. I also get lots of photos of turkeys, raccoons, coyotes, squirrels, and birds using the water.

Quality pics though out thread. Water holes are magic.

I don't know what kind of crab that is, but it sure looks like a dandy producer. A couple of our un-named crabs have had weeds around them for some years also and it never slowed them down. Lots of crabapples each year on 'em & they're about 18 ft. tall. I guess they're just tougher trees than regular apple trees.

Those pups are certainly big enough to be eating critters now. I am almost wondering if the pups are living in that den or are just visiting it while making the rounds. Do you have pictures of them exiting the den in the mornings? Looks clean around the den, almost too clean. Though fox are a lot messier house keepers.

I don't know what kind of crab that is, but it sure looks like a dandy producer. A couple of our un-named crabs have had weeds around them for some years also and it never slowed them down. Lots of crabapples each year on 'em & they're about 18 ft. tall. I guess they're just tougher trees than regular apple trees.
Most fruit trees struggle in our sand which is also prone to late frosts. That is why I really wish I knew what kind this one is as it has been neglected over the years yet it is LOADED with apples.

Those pups are certainly big enough to be eating critters now. I am almost wondering if the pups are living in that den or are just visiting it while making the rounds. Do you have pictures of them exiting the den in the mornings? Looks clean around the den, almost too clean. Though fox are a lot messier house keepers.
The pups have been there since sometime in June. Below is one of the earlier videos I captured of them. Since the pups arrived I have not seen a single adult yote here. I've had the camera set up here since March or April and prior to the pups showing up I had a couple different adults frequenting the den, but they were not everyday visitors. The den itself has been there for a couple years now although the hole has gotten a bigger over time. I have a ton of videos of the pups at all times of day and night. Everyday they are coming and going and hanging out within camera view. They have to be living there.

Turkey Creek, I just did a little reading about yotes. Sounds like they were probably born sometime in April and by June when I first saw them they would have been weaned off of their mother. This could explain why I haven't seen her at the den lately. Also the den where the pups are born is abandoned after about 8 weeks, about the time the pups showed up at this den.