bueller's blotter

I've got a some doe trying to show dominance over each other on the food plot.

Round #2

Any rain last night bueller?
Yes we did get some late last night but I was already back at home so I'm not sure exactly how much. Looks to be between 1/4" and 1/3" with more in the forecast today and tomorrow :D.

Good deal. I heard the storm last night here in LaValle. Figured it was heading that way. Tomorrow looks promising. Hopefully nothing too severe though.

calling for large hail over by us tomorrow afternoon. hope that isn't the case.

Bueller-how often are those pups showing up? Are they just hanging around the den or are they using it? How long have you had your camera on the den? How big is the den? I have alot of coyote "holes", not sure if they are dens or not. They are basically just 12" circular holes. I'm always interested in learning more about how coyotes actually live.

Bueller-how often are those pups showing up? Are they just hanging around the den or are they using it? How long have you had your camera on the den? How big is the den? I have alot of coyote "holes", not sure if they are dens or not. They are basically just 12" circular holes. I'm always interested in learning more about how coyotes actually live.
I've had the camera on that den since early April. We also have lots of "holes" but I choose to put the camera on this one because it had the most fresh sand dug out. The entrance is probably between 12" and 18". We've been seeing a lone coyote on camera for a while now and even from the tree stand a couple times in the two years, no shot presented. I thought I would find him or her "living" in this den, in for the day and out for the night. Instead what I found was a lone coyote that would frequent the den at various hours of the day. Sometimes he/she would go in and stay for hours, other times he/she would go in and come back out 5 minutes later. Sometimes he/she would be there back to back days, other times there wouldn't be a sighting for a week or two. The pups showed up on the camera in mid June. They appear to be staying in this den as I have a bunch of videos of them from the past two weeks. Yet I haven't seen a mature one on this camera for over a month now. I'm thinking coyotes "stash" their pups in a den different than the one they stay in, which is probably very nearby. I also think after watching this den for almost three months now that coyotes do not sleep in the exact same bed day after day. This would explain why we have so many coyote holes/dens scattered around.

BTW, I have no idea how far this den goes in and I'm not about to reach in to check it out :eek:

Finally made it back up to check on things. 5 week old brassica plot needs some rain but looks pretty darn good. I'll be broadcasting urea if a storm approaches before I leave, if not I'll broadcast before I pull out and hope for some in the near future.

Coyotes pups were so active at the den that they filled the memory card with videos in less than a week.

Does and fawns dominated the pics and videos on the other cameras.

Posting from my cell right now, I'll post some photos when I get back to a computer in a couple days.

Just pulled up on a doe feeding on the turnip greens. She continued eating and didn't mind the ATV noise at all. The deer here don't wait for a frost to start hitting brassicsas.

Pretty dry up that way or what? I dont think we saw much rain at all in July over by us.

Coyotes will have multiple den locations prepared. They will move the pups if they feel like they are in danger. The bitch will nurse the pups when they are very young, gradually the pups transition to "vomit" that the adults will regurgitate for them, finally the pups transition to chunks of prey and eventually start hunting on their own. Pups tend to disperse in early fall as only the dominant pair in an area breed. Most of the time adult coyotes will bed above ground.

Pretty dry up that way or what? I dont think we saw much rain at all in July over by us.
Yep. The July rains were spotty. We only got about 2" while areas nearby did much better. I just broadcast some radish on the bare spots of my brassica plot and its starting to thunder :D.

Coyotes will have multiple den locations prepared. They will move the pups if they feel like they are in danger. The bitch will nurse the pups when they are very young, gradually the pups transition to "vomit" that the adults will regurgitate for them, finally the pups transition to chunks of prey and eventually start hunting on their own. Pups tend to disperse in early fall as only the dominant pair in an area breed. Most of the time adult coyotes will bed above ground.

I haven't seen an adult on camera at the den for months but the pups are there everyday. Is this normal?

Do you have it focused right at the den opening? No way the pups have survived without an adult present. They are probably staying just off camera. You can often times coax pups to the den entrance with just some lip squeaks.

Do you have it focused right at the den opening? No way the pups have survived without an adult present. They are probably staying just off camera. You can often times coax pups to the den entrance with just some lip squeaks.
Camera is centered on den opening and has been for the last two months. I'll post a couple videos when I get back.

Yee Haw!!! Saw a thunderstorm cell headed this way and got my urea down. An hour later now and at least a 1/2" fell :D:D:D. Smartphone data package money well spent this month. Hell of a vacation day!!!!!:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

I'm missing these storms by a couple miles! Anything falling at your place?
I caught one cell that dropped at least a 1/2". Otherwise just sprinkles. Urea is soaked in :D!!!

It looked like you should've gotten something around 7 or so.

Cell went through the Black River area about 8:20 but it might track just north of you badger, beuller you have a chance! Calling for possible pea sized hail.

Black River had a good rain and hail (pea size) from what I was told. Driving up today to check out the farm.

Black River had a good rain and hail (pea size) from what I was told. Driving up today to check out the farm.
They showed some quarter size hail on the news the other night, it looked like it snowed in one photo I saw. Hopefully your place wasnt hard hit.

They showed some quarter size hail on the news the other night, it looked like it snowed in one photo I saw. Hopefully your place wasnt hard hit.

Hey Kabic, No hail at my place and no rain either. The soybeans on the hill tops are getting bad. Hope to get rain this morning.