All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bueller's blotter

this water hole was a great attractant until it froze. they are ice fishing local lakes already.

0945 friday morning this guy was on his feet at my new place

All of these have the green light as they are about the best we get on camera any given year. Hell we aren't any good at harvesting them anyways so it's not like we put a hurtin on the 2.5-3.5's :p. The orange army mobilizes Friday night and is being deployed at sunrise Saturday morning.

Some crappy cell phone pics I took during the first days of gun season. This turnip grew inside of a cage I had for a pear tree so it was never browsed upon.

IMG_20141123_114147_225.jpg

The rest of them look like this.

IMG_20141123_115536_113.jpg

IMG_20141123_115543_564.jpg

This is from a stand I put up on the new place. Before and after the 6" snowfall. Photos taken facing north. Not shown is the thick presumably bedding area directly south of the stand. To the west is the where the powerline easement runs which will be a food plot next year.

IMG_20141123_150915_682.jpg

IMG_20141125_082340_588.jpg

There was a nice buck bedded within 20 yards of this stand yesterday morning. My buddy went in just after daylight and once he hit the second step of the ladder the buck busted out.

That afternoon I put him on my turnip plot and he whiffed 3 times on a group of does as they entered the plot.

I hunted at my new place this morning. I sat on a stand until around 10. I'd been wanting to take a stroll around my perimeter trails now that snow has been on the ground for about a week. I was curious to see about any trespassing concerns and see where the deer were crossing the trails and creek. Conditions were perfect. The wind was right. The snow on the ground was getting softer and quieter with the rising temps. The snow on the oak and pine branches was falling making noise and movement which I would use to help conceal my own movements. After almost an hour of creeping along I was now on the thickest portion of the trail, looking into my sanctuary. I saw what appeared to be a bedded deer a mere 15 yards or so off the trail in the thick stuff. I thought, it can't be. I hadn't seen a deer all season. I scoped the body and confirmed it was indeed a deer. I moved to its head and saw it was a baldie and it was looking right at me. She was making no signs that she was getting ready to get up and moving. I put the crosshairs back on the body and the rest is history. 1st deer off the new place. And to get it the way I did, I'll never forget this one.

Congrats!

Well done, congrats!

That's great bueller! I've killed a few from the ground. Always exciting!

Finally got back up to the properties for a quick day and a half. First time there in nearly two full months. Only a couple inches of snow on the ground and the deer are still digging in my turnip plot :D.

Spent most of my time at the new place. There is a ditch running along our entire west border. I was able to identity a major crossing. Now I can focus efforts to improve the trail leading up to it and find a spot to get a stand up to cover it :cool:.

There is a fence, single cable, on our north border. One of my priorities after we bought the place was to cut away all the fallen timber on this fence to get it off the ground and hung back up. I was able to accomplish this but not without the neighbor saying hello, with 60 rapid fire shots from his assault rifle :eek:. I guess I know where we stand now :mad:.

You must be way back in the bush then huh? That's crazy. Any bets on year round deer hunter?

You must be way back in the bush then huh? That's crazy. Any bets on year round deer hunter?
No, I'm only a couple miles out of town. I think this dude just doesn't want anybody near his "compound". When the first 20 or so shots rang out I had just began cutting and had started where my fence meets his. He could easily see me, I was maybe 50 yards from his house where I believe the shots came from. No way he thought trespasser. I stopped, walked even closer to the house and yelled for a bit. Nobody even poked there head out. I resumed cutting and a minute later off goes another 20. A couple minutes later, 20 more. Ok I thought, message received you want people to stay the hell away from you. No problem, why do you think I'm out there fixing the fence anyways.

Sounds like you may have to add a couple strands to that north fence.

Sounds like you may have to add a couple strands to that north fence.
And order a whole bunch of stuff to plant a thick screen

Yup, I know some guys. I steer clear of them most of the time as well.

On the plus side, as long as they don't trespass I can't envision anybody else wandering through their land to get to mine ;)