bueller's blotter

you can usually tell when they are done growing by looks of the velvet and the "bulbs" like stu said. the tips get pointy, the velvet loses the "swollen" look and it starts to look tight, the nobbs, nooks, crannies, veination, pimples, dimples, etc all start to look more "detailed", and the velvet will start to look less smooth. In my area mid august is about the time i start to see that.

from what i understand antlers grow out from the bases, and consequently they start to harden and "finish" off under the velvet closest to bases first. this buck looks like a classic example of that. The velvet on the bases and brows looks tight and and the pimpling is apparent and detailed, the tips of his brows look much more pointy than the tines further out the beams. His 2's, 3's, 4's and beams above the brows all still look swollen and very bulbous.

I would say that deer should finish at every bit of 130" and probably a little more....great looking buck with some character too. hope you catch up to him this fall!
Great explanation! We don't see many like this around here, especially during the summer. Hence the reason for my lack if knowledge.

I've got to go through my pics and videos of him last year and see if I can pin down when he was must killable. If my memory serves me correct I think my best chance will be early bow season. Our season opens mid September.

Nice buck bueller.

I think those darn J.C. spikes followed me here :(
I se very few spikes where I live. I feel it is the ag in this area. Zone 1 is a different matter-lots o spikes.

With the cool and wet forecast for this coming week I shot up and got my fall plots planted. I had planted two buckwheat plots this spring. One was a brand new plot on my place and the other was on my father's land that we have been plotting for nearly 10 years. The buckwheat on the new plot was noticeably weaker and I had grass and weeds establish themselves under the buckwheat on about 75% of the plot. I sprayed this plot down with roundup and seeded rye, radish, and clover. Then I spread some 17-17-17 and scraped up the ground a little bit with the drag. The better looking buckwheat plot only had grass and weed issues in about 15% of the plot. The majority of the plot had sunshine making it's way down to the bare ground through the 36" tall now thinning buckwheat. I walked this plot and overseeded with rye, radish, and clover. I also tossed some 17-17-17 on. When I planted the buckwheat in the spring I added a small amount of turnip seed. There are turnip plants underneath so they should benefit from the fertilizer since I added very little at planting and none since. I like the standing crop as it not only provides some shelter for my droughty sand but the deer feel a sense of security in there.

I just went with medium red clover. Have had very good luck with it in the past and it's available locally and cheap. I don't intend on establishing and maintaining a perennial clover plot just yet, if ever.

So after I finished seeding, fertilizing, and cleaning equipment I walked up to the plot to snap a couple photos. This little guy was thankful I didn't till everything under. Makes it worth all the time, money, and effort planting these plots.
IMG_20150816_130349_257.jpg

Can anybody ID this weed and grass?
IMG_20150816_131043_557.jpg

IMG_20150816_131150_692.jpg

Turnip growing under the buckwheat.
IMG_20150816_131230_121.jpg

Looks like I may have lost one of my better looking pears :(. This was a Patten I planted in 2013. It grew well in '13, '14, and for several months this year. Now it looks like this. All of the leaves are gone. I'm pretty sure I checked it a couple weeks ago and all was fine. Was this bugs? Is this tree a goner?
IMG_20150816_131127_405.jpg

Typical Juneau County Forest Land bucks.
PICT1271.JPG

Even our older bucks don't sport a whole lot of tine length.
PICT0577.JPG

Now this guy stands out in our neighborhood. I posted pics of him a couple weeks ago and he added some since then but looks to be done now. Any updated thoughts on age/score?
PICT0561.JPG

PICT0101.JPG

He's a good one bueller, sure hope you get a crack at him this fall.

He's a good one bueller, sure hope you get a crack at him this fall.
I hope so too! If not me, maybe my Pop's. I'd be just as thrilled.

Not sure what weed you're talking about? If you mean the "fuzzy" looking stuff in the first pic, I think its witchgrass (one of the panicums)
Yes, that's it, witchgrass. I knew what it was as we had it on our place, I just couldn't remember the common name.

Not sure what weed you're talking about? If you mean the "fuzzy" looking stuff in the first pic, I think its witchgrass (one of the panicums)
Yes the fuzzy stuff ;). thanks

That is an exceptional northern J.C. buck. I don't think he's over 3.5...but may change that opinion with a fall pic. I'd put him in the 140's, he doesn't have great mass but beam and tine length are both good.
Thank You :D. We are stoked about him. I'm going to try and post of a pic of him from last year when he was a tall and wide 9 pointer. I figured him to be at least 3.5 last year but his body size has never looked very big.

Definitely witchgrass, I don't know what that second grass is but I hate it as well.
That buck is flirting with 140", won't make it probably but he's close. Awesome looking deer

Some pics of him from last year. The daylight one is from 11/5.