bueller's blotter

Nice work, that's a great feeling harvesting a buck that you were going for. What did you have planted in that plot that he was killed in?

Nice work, that's a great feeling harvesting a buck that you were going for. What did you have planted in that plot that he was killed in?
I've got my eyes on a real nice one. Hopefully he makes a mistake during the rut. I have winter rye, tillage radish, medium red clover, and buckwheat planted in the field. It's receiving lots of attention right now.

I had a handful like that on camera last year and typical do every year. Seeing them while hunting is another issue. It'd be tough to pass on that when it's probably in the top 25% of deer in our area. I still have only one yearling on camera. Can't wait til the end of October.
I know the feeling. On my place the typical scrubby 6 pointer is the largest buck I've had on camera so far this year. My main target at my pop's disappeared for over a month and I was afraid he was poached or hit by a car but he returned last week, about an hour and half after sunset.

Good luck on your main target, Bueller. I hope you get him !!

Congrats to your buddy, good luck on the bigger ones.

Congrats.

I have to admit bueller, that is a very respectable bow kill for your part of JC. Nothing wrong with that buck at all. Your buddy should be dang proud! And that is coming from a guy who has hunted that area for 35+ years.

I have to admit bueller, that is a very respectable bow kill for your part of JC. Nothing wrong with that buck at all. Your buddy should be dang proud! And that is coming from a guy who has hunted that area for 35+ years.
Thank you sir. He was a frequent flyer all summer. We have pictures that I can identify him back to at least early July. I would've taken him if I had the opportunity.

He looks to be close to the same size (antler wise) as my second biggest buck. ~13" spread, 4-5" tines. A whopping 90". :)

You can't shoot what isn't there though. It's very tough to get any age on bucks in the area.
We have a hard enough catching a "big" buck on camera let alone seeing one in person during hunting season while on a stand. Hopefully this is the year one of them makes a mistake.

Last year one made a mistake. The year before, I had 2 within 15 yards but couldn't slow them down. Both were similar to what I shot last year. 10 years prior to that I had shot my biggest 2 in back to back years. I'm hoping I don't have to wait another ten years for it to happen again!
Yea, I've been waiting a long time too. Just started bow hunting a few years ago. Bucks during rifle are so far and few between by us. I've had good chances each year since I started bow hunting. Haven't connected yet and don't want to talk about it :mad:.

I've never seen a good buck rifle hunting. Biggest was the 13" 6 pointer I shot in 2013. I see them with the bow occasionally but up until a couple years ago nothing was ever in range.
I had a good one catch me snoozing a couple years ago. I wasn't actually asleep, just day dreaming. I was sitting against a fallen tree in some thick stuff when I happened to look to my right, offhand of course. He was standing still at no more than 20 yards staring right at me. Our eyes locked. I couldnt budge. I hoped for the best but after a few seconds he trotted away through the brush never giving me a shot opportunity. Although I bet if I had seen him on the approach I would have got him. This one still hurts pretty bad. Lesson learned, don't let your guard down, even midday during rifle season.

This was a spot that for years I always saw deer late afternoon, like last 1/2 before sunset. Never any other time. It got to the point were some days I wouldnt sneak in there until after 3 o'clock and would still see them. This particular day was warm and sunny. I think it was Tuesday. So I decided to get in earlier and just enjoy the sit. Hence the reason he caught me snoozing ;). For some reason now if we dont see deer by 330 or so we don't see any that afternoon. Don't know what happened to the sunset movement we saw for many years.

I think due to the yearly increased human activity throughout the whole area over there(lake folks and all) compared to years ago, the deer just wait until shortly after dark to move around. I see more deer moving while making the 20 minute drive back to Mauston in the evenings after hunting the public land up by Necedah than I ever do in the woods.

I think due to the yearly increased human activity throughout the whole area over there(lake folks and all) compared to years ago, the deer just wait until shortly after dark to move around. I see more deer moving while making the 20 minute drive back to Mauston in the evenings after hunting the public land up by Necedah than I ever do in the woods.
I agree with the shortly after dark movement but the last 4-5 years or so a consistent early afternoon (2-3) pattern has developed. We never had that before. Its nice.

Not just in your neighborhood, Whip !! The shortly-after-dark movement happens a lot here in Pa. - especially once hunting season starts and all the activity of people, quads, etc. and hunters leaving the woods basically all at the same time each day. The deer know our patterns too !!!

Finally new bucks are starting to show up on camera.
5a872e4d474c66b0eda96ad175c9c400.jpg
4c786565f6897301b4a7a34ef2531b70.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

That's not bad bueller! I finally had a new one too this last week. 2.5 year old 6 pointer about 13-14" wide. Probably the one my dad scared away last night. I'm thinking it's the 6 I had on camera back in July.
Should only get better! And the one I'm really wanting that's over by my dads place was on a waterhole only 60 minutes after close earlier in the week. I've been laying off his place waiting for just the right time.

Nice buck bueller. Moderate temps in the extended forecast. I'm off work 10/31-11/8, super stoked. I have only been out once a few weeks back for an evening set. Hoping I can punch a tag this year with my bow.

Yesterday was the one year anniversary for us and our 23 acres:). No hunting this weekend, just family time at the cabin. We took the kids to a pumpkin farm where they enjoyed all the traditional Halloween activities; hayrides, corn maze, hay bale maze, hot chocolate, petting zoo, etc...

Then we had a nice campfire last night. Listened to the coyotes. Even had our resident doe with her twin fawns join the fun. We could hear them stepping through the woods and bleating to each other a mere 30 yards from our fire:D. Then mama gave one of the blows she is quickly becoming known for. She blew at us about 10 times before trotting a bit deeper into the woods. A couple weeks ago while hunting she blew at me in both my morning and afternoon sits:eek:.

It has been a great first year on the land. Hopefully there are many many more to come! :D