bueller's blotter

Buckwheat is now 9 weeks old. The leaves are still green while the white flowers are fading as more of the seed hardens up.

IMG_20150726_120819_904_zpsspbnw5lh.jpg

IMG_20150726_113051_935_zpsxirzfkys.jpg

IMG_20150726_113101_077_zpsgucyell6.jpg

I plan to overseed with some rye and radish in a couple weeks but right now these plots are still going strong. Snapshot of a typical midday out from the tower stand.

PICT0838_zps0zm5wsmg.jpg

PICT0842_zps02hjkcpv.jpg

PICT0871_zpsursvqkcp.jpg

I had to throw that Juneau County spike in there ;). Better buck pics to come tomorrow...

The storm 2 weeks ago took down a lot of trees. Large oaks were snapped off anywhere from 5' - 30' up. Pines were snapped off and up rooted. Nothing like foggy's place that night, but not good either. We were lucky enough to avoid any real property damage. Some photos from around the yard. Many more in the woods but they will have to wait for cleanup, maybe a long time ;)

IMG_0028.jpg IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0040.jpg IMG_0058.jpg

Looks to be a good year for acorns on the black oaks

IMG_20150726_113823_398.jpg

We've got the 3 point "spike" on our place again. Seeing a lot of those the last few years. I don't have any better ones yet unless you count a scrub 6 point. Pretty typical of our place though. Better ones don't show up til the fall usually.
I got this place last fall and had some nice bucks on camera during the fall and winter. But so far this spring and summer I'm only seeing 6 points and under :(. Less than a mile away at my Pop's we have some good ones on camera. The year round food plot program over there really has the bucks frequenting not just during the fall but all summer long. Now I just have to figure out how to kill one of them :confused:.

I'm going to put my sand pit food plots in this weekend. 3# Ground Hog Radishs, 2# PTT, 50# Winter Rye, and 10# of watersorb.

I'm going to put my sand pit food plots in this weekend. 3# Ground Hog Radishs, 2# PTT, 50# Winter Rye, and 10# of watersorb.
It's been hot and it's starting to get pretty dry, doesn't take long as you know. Forecast doesn't look so good either. Seems like we always get a prolonged dry spell sometime in August and/or September. I hope this year is different.

I hope this year is different.
Good luck with that! :(35 years in that sand pit and it was always the same. The only thing that will save you is if you have enough OM both in and on top of the soil to trap enough moisture to make it from rainfall to rainfall, which could potentially be many weeks apart, as you already know. Once that sand heats up and the top 3" or 4" inches gets dry, it takes even more rain to keep it from getting back to that state after a rain event. That standing BW in your pics could help to keep the soil a bit cooler, but once the soil temp is up, the evaporation rate and the plant moisture transpiration rate on that sand is incredibly fast.

Good luck with that! :(35 years in that sand pit and it was always the same. The only thing that will save you is if you have enough OM both in and on top of the soil to trap enough moisture to make it from rainfall to rainfall, which could potentially be many weeks apart, as you already know. Once that sand heats up and the top 3" or 4" inches gets dry, it takes even more rain to keep it from getting back to that state after a rain event. That standing BW in your pics could help to keep the soil a bit cooler, but once the soil temp is up, the evaporation rate and the plant moisture transpiration rate on that sand is incredibly fast.
That's why I choose to keep my buckwheat standing when I was there a couple weeks ago instead of killing it to plant something else, or better said try to plant something else. I've learned not to kill something on my plots that is still feeding the deer, especially during the summer. And trail cams confirm they are still pounding the buckwheat.

Thankfully you didn't put in something like soys, the deer would have killed them for you!:mad:

IMO, having a consistent food source in my plots as close to 365 days a year as possible fits MY plan better than just having nice plots in the fall. For people with a higher dpsm your plan may differ greatly.

I must thank both of you, I was wondering about rolling flat the buckwheat and oats I have a few weeks ago and planting turnips and you talked me out of it for the very reason you state. There has been zero rain since I "thought" about it. It looks like we may get a chance for some tomorrow...but those storms usually divert and go north or south of Waushara County.

No problem Cuervo. Sometimes it is good experience to make one's own mistakes, but in some situations it is better to use other peoples experiences to keep from beating a dead horse. My guess is that you are sitting on either Plainfield sand or Richford loamy sand over there and they both have excessive rates of drainage, so you're likely better off to let it ride until at least the middle of August for your fall brassica plots. Both August and September have higher average rainfalls than July in your area as well.

I've had very good success planting brassicas prior to the hot and dry pattern setting in, July 15th being about the latest I will even attempt anymore. I usually shoot for sometime between Memorial Day and the 4th of July. When planted after mid-July I just don't get the bulb growth I desire and the risk of a burned up planting is very high. I've got some cherry tomato sized turnips growing under my buckwheat right now.

For cereal grains anytime mid-August through early September seems to be the sweet spot. I lean towards mid August so that it's up and growing well before the bow opener. I've never tried earlier than mid-August.

Again for my situation I strongly believe that having something for the deer to eat everyday, even if it's not on the top of their preference list, is key.

I would agree with bueller on the early planted brassicas, especially in that sand, but since that time has passed your choice now would be something short season like GFR(daikon) radish or dwarf Essex rape. If planted around mid-August, with good rain, you should see some green leafy forage by the time bow season gets into swing. You will likely not see much in the way of bulb development on the radishes though unless we have a very mild fall. Any later than about August 18th and I wouldn't bother at all with the brassicas, just go with rye and maybe oats, but remember the oats will die at the first few good frosts. For something like turnips, we always tried to get them in right after my birthday around mid-June, well before the July 4th holiday, because within a week or 2 after that our plots turned into the Sahara until about mid to late August. One other thing to consider is that if you are planting brassicas this late, you better plan on feeding them copious amounts of N if you want to see good growth.

I planted some brassica June 20th this year. That strip is looking pretty good now and should be established enough to fend off this mini dry spell. I also planted two other times since then, July 4th and July 11th I believe. Both of those have germinated but we have had little rain in the last couple weeks so I don't know if they'll make it unless we get some rain quick. We're planning a long work weekend this weekend. Will be planting a mix of brassica, winter rye, and clover in a few spots. Should have a bunch of thatch to mow onto it so I'm hoping for a repeat of last year's august with a bunch of rain!
Where do you get your rye from?

No problem Cuervo. Sometimes it is good experience to make one's own mistakes, but in some situations it is better to use other peoples experiences to keep from beating a dead horse. My guess is that you are sitting on either Plainfield sand or Richford loamy sand over there and they both have excessive rates of drainage, so you're likely better off to let it ride until at least the middle of August for your fall brassica plots. Both August and September have higher average rainfalls than July in your area as well.

This is year 3 planting in the sand (it's Plainfield sand), and the first year I've really had a successful spring planted plot ( with all the rain, kind of hard to mess it up). Although I attribute it mostly to reading what you guys have done in similar soil. I planted Oats, Buckwheat, Sunflowers and soybeans...they were so thick I figured that broadcasting turnips would be a waste because they wouldn't see any daylight....or was I wrong? I can see know that as the hot weather is here and the buckwheat and oats are seeding out that everything is getting thinner allowing more light to the soil now.
Regardless I'll be throwing rye out there in 3 weeks as I'll be out until then returning from my annual Boundary Waters canoe trip. Bueller....I buy Rye either from Kester's in Omro or Jay-Mar up up in Plainfield. Kester's always has it regardless of the time of year...but they are about $5.00 more per bag, which doesn't concern me as I'm only getting one bag at a time.

This is year 3 planting in the sand (it's Plainfield sand), and the first year I've really had a successful spring planted plot ( with all the rain, kind of hard to mess it up). Although I attribute it mostly to reading what you guys have done in similar soil. I planted Oats, Buckwheat, Sunflowers and soybeans...they were so thick I figured that broadcasting turnips would be a waste because they wouldn't see any daylight....or was I wrong? I can see know that as the hot weather is here and the buckwheat and oats are seeding out that everything is getting thinner allowing more light to the soil now.
Regardless I'll be throwing rye out there in 3 weeks as I'll be out until then returning from my annual Boundary Waters canoe trip. Bueller....I buy Rye either from Kester's in Omro or Jay-Mar up up in Plainfield. Kester's always has it regardless of the time of year...but they are about $5.00 more per bag, which doesn't concern me as I'm only getting one bag at a time.
IMO, broadcasting turnips into that jungle will not give you a thick and perfect looking turnip plot. However some of it will grow and the other plants will provide additional forage and even cover for the deer. With their heads down in my buckwheat they are invisible from the ground level. I like to toss some turnips in at the time of planting. They grow slow under the canopy and benefit from the protection. Then as late summer early fall rolls around they take off as the other plants thin out. At the same time I'll overseed with rye and radish.

I've been to jay mar, never kesters. My local coop likely won't have rye yet. I've heard deer creek seed in Madison just off the interstate sells from their warehouse and may have rye earlier.