Big change coming to parts of WI

If people are claiming that baiting is causing a higher risk of CWD, then why doesn't northern WI have tons of positive test? All I hear is tons of people bait in northern WI, yet the majority of positive test are coming from southern WI where ag land is around.

Just so people know I am against baiting as well but just curious as to why this is.

Much evidence points that CWD in WI originated west of Madison and is related to sites that were associated with deer research, therefore it is only logical that CWD is more prevalent in those areas by association with the introduction point and the longevity that it has been present in those areas.

I'd also speculate that it has a lot to do with deer densities, as well. Where CWD first was found, there were many pockets that had deer numbers over 125 per square mile (directly from a biologist I trust completely). when deer numbers are stupid high, transition rates of communicable diseases are likely going to be much greater. In N WI, the dpsm is generally MUCH lower.

I look at it this way. If there was a nasty cold sweeping the nation, are your odds of being spared better if you are on a packed plane or if you limit your contact with others? Many areas of the epicenter was essentially that packed plane, where as years of surplus doe tags and natural predation has made N WI deer more like shut ins.

Steve - I'm not in the loop enough anymore to know, how worried are the magazines and manufactures that rely on deer hunters that they won't have enough consumers anymore because as the deer go from this disease so will the hunters.

Worse yet....

"Records show that since CWD was discovered in the state in 2002, the DNR has tested 651 wild deer in the 17 towns within 10 miles of the deer farm and has not found a CWD-positive animal, said Tami Ryan, chief of the DNR’s Wildlife Health Section."

The DNR also is concerned that three bucks that escaped from the deer farm in May and still at large could be infected or exposed to CWD.

Those deer were among 20 bucks that got loose in mid-May when a falling tree knocked over a portion of fence. Seventeen have been returned or shot, but three have not been found, Ryan said."

Worse yet....

"Records show that since CWD was discovered in the state in 2002, the DNR has tested 651 wild deer in the 17 towns within 10 miles of the deer farm and has not found a CWD-positive animal, said Tami Ryan, chief of the DNR’s Wildlife Health Section."

The DNR also is concerned that three bucks that escaped from the deer farm in May and still at large could be infected or exposed to CWD.

Those deer were among 20 bucks that got loose in mid-May when a falling tree knocked over a portion of fence. Seventeen have been returned or shot, but three have not been found, Ryan said."

I found this part interesting

A sickly wild deer shot near Shell Lake in Washburn County in 2012 tested positive for CWD, but intensive sampling in the area since then has not found another case. Genetic testing of that deer confirmed that it was a northern deer, not a southern animal from a known CWD-infected area that wandered up to Shell Lake.

Seems like game farms are the main source of moving the disease, is there a reason these have not been banned yet?

Kennel shoot operations fall under USDA/ag farming. Good luck messin with po farmers just trying to make a living selling freak bucks for $20k. FYI, birds can fly out of a high fence with pirons.
Or even stuck in the mud in some tire treads or boot soles. Lots of ways to get both inside and outside the fence. Not that I'm defending the high fence, can't really say I personally feel any sympathy for them, but it is a valid argument that they would rightfully use.

That's the problem with science. It starts with a theory, becomes relevant with correlation, accepted via publication until it is proven incorrect.

The science with the best publicist wins.

Anyone know if milk is good or bad for you?

Anyone know if milk is good or bad for you?[/QUOTE]

It's toxic, just like water. Try drinking 8 gallons at once.

Air is also toxic, breathe enough of it for long periods of time and you eventually die.;)

In this particular case...isn't the guy saying it was a close herd...no deer imported from other herds....

Which would mean they can also fly in with prions. I'm no fan of high fence/game farm operations, but I'm not quite ready to totally buy into them being the villains QDMA wants us to believe either. There is zero proof CWD was brought to WI from a farmed deer...plenty of conjecture, but no proof. I'd put my money on CWD+ carcasses of western deer/elk being the culprit.
For years, my family brought deer and elk back from out west. We would cut them up at home and dispose of the bones as we had for generations-on the back 40.

Steve - I'm not in the loop enough anymore to know, how worried are the magazines and manufactures that rely on deer hunters that they won't have enough consumers anymore because as the deer go from this disease so will the hunters.

Sorry I missed this.

From what I can tell, they aren't worried at all anymore. When it hit WI, for the 1st 5-6 years, every editor I worked with wanted an CWD piece from me each year. I haven't had a request since, and they have their fingers more on the pulse of what their readers and advertisers are concerned about better than most anyone else.

I don't think CWD will be the kiss of death to hunting (unless it ever makes the jump to humans and then deer hunting becomes a dead sport soon after). I do think QDMA and trophy deer management in general is in trouble, though. Talking in generalities, bucks are the biggest spreaders and they generally live to 3.5 before CWD kills them. All the somewhat recent research I've seen almost screams that we should be killing bucks young to slow the spread. When southern states start experiencing CWD at similar levels to the WI hot zone, QDMA is in big time trouble...And it sure just seems like a matter of time to me. At worst, they'll be blamed. At best, they'll have to give up their motto of "let `em go so he can grow," and almost no one is going to join QDMA in order to better manage their does.

The state of Virginia has banned the use of natural urine based deer scents/lures in an attempt to prevent the spread of CWD. Highly unlikely that it will have much of an effect at all, but it is starting and will continue to build.

Maybe that's why CWD isn't in MN. No 3.5 year old bucks here.

Sorry I missed this.

From what I can tell, they aren't worried at all anymore. When it hit WI, for the 1st 5-6 years, every editor I worked with wanted an CWD piece from me each year. I haven't had a request since, and they have their fingers more on the pulse of what their readers and advertisers are concerned about better than most anyone else.

I don't think CWD will be the kiss of death to hunting (unless it ever makes the jump to humans and then deer hunting becomes a dead sport soon after). I do think QDMA and trophy deer management in general is in trouble, though. Talking in generalities, bucks are the biggest spreaders and they generally live to 3.5 before CWD kills them. All the somewhat recent research I've seen almost screams that we should be killing bucks young to slow the spread. When southern states start experiencing CWD at similar levels to the WI hot zone, QDMA is in big time trouble...And it sure just seems like a matter of time to me. At worst, they'll be blamed. At best, they'll have to give up their motto of "let `em go so he can grow," and almost no one is going to join QDMA in order to better manage their does.
I completely agree.

Stu, I think it does. I don't mean to start WWIII here, but I think deer farmers and even high fence hunts get a worse rap than they deserve. Because it would destroy my credibility in much of my audiences' eyes, I never have and never will hunt behind a fence. That said, I also never understood why so many care if others do. Is it really hunting? That can be debated on either side, and a lot has to do with how large the area is, deer densities and a bunch of other factors in my mind. That said, some of the free range areas I/I've hunt/hunted/manage/managed are/have been easier to kill a P&Y buck than some of the high fences I know of. Even on what I'd consider kill pens, if someone wants to sell livestock for others to kill, would we care at all if they were beef cattle they were shooting? I have never seen the difference, but that's just me and this isn't something I'm trying to change opinions over.

I've often pondered if I'll ever shoot a wild elk. I want to get one in my lifetime, but don't know if I can swing multiple trips to take a crack at it. I probably could, but I don't want to work that long either.

Big change, ha, possible Cwd deer now on the loose out of this pen. $$$
The only reason I saw this was from terry on qdma forum. The deer have been out since May and this coming out now. Shady, shady
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. -- The state Department of Natural Resources is requesting the help of residents of Fairchild and Augusta and the surrounding areas to be on the lookout for two escaped ear-tagged captive white-tailed deer from a local captive deer facility.

On June 24 the Department of Agriculture, Trade, & Consumer Protection [PDF] (exit DNR ) announced a captive white-tailed deer from a breeding farm in Eau Claire County has tested positive for chronic wasting disease.

In early May, the farm owner reported that multiple captive bucks escaped the facility when a tree fell on the fence causing a breach. Most of the escaped bucks were recovered with two still remaining out on the landscape.

"We need landowners and the public to be on the lookout for any deer that appear to have an ear tag. These captive escapes are a potential health risk to the local wild deer herd and should be removed from the landscape," said DNR wildlife biologist Bill Hogseth.

Ear tag Yellow plastic ear-tags are likely to be on these two bucks. WDNR Photo

Landowners are asked to check trail camera images for any ear-tagged deer. The DNR would like to be notified if you record any images of ear-tagged deer or if you observe any. While yellow plastic ear-tags like the one pictured are most common and likely to be on these two bucks, please report any deer tagged with any size, shape or color of ear-tag.

If it is after hours, or a biologist isn't available please contact the department's hotline at 1-800-847-9367. The information will be forwarded to the local conservation warden