CWD and salt/mineral sites

Yet when I wear one, my nose doesnt stop running, and I have a huge problem breathing, being I have asthma, and also constantly plugged sinuses. I find it hard to catch my breath just walking normally without a mask, add on a mask, and I get winded, and light headed doing much at all.

I am glad the masks dont bother you, but they bother the shit out of me.
I get that it's uncomfortable for many people. And my nose tends to run if I've had a mask on for more than 20-30 minutes. The problem with these types of issues is that people who are only mildly inconvenienced (being the VAST majority of individuals), and who don't wear masks or still bait, increase the amount of time we have to put up with these diseases. If it's too uncomfortable to wear a mask and shop just ask the store to grab the items for you. If it's a government building or healthcare facility they are nearly always willing to work with you.

I could possibly see some positive effect in the far north woods where there is no ag or cattle. I dont see any positive benefit to ban minerals for deer, but allow cattle ranchers to put out minerals on the same ground

I live in an area that has a ban on baiting which also includes salt/minerals. Yet every store that normally did sell it still does. Some by the tons. Same for where our land is further north. It's such a serious issue that anyone can buy it. No warning signs where it's sold or on the packages. Just load up and pretend it's for way up north where there are no restrictions, I guess.

I actually asked the DNR about this awhile back. Nothing they can do about it, they said. Are you pressuring the state or local gov'ts to do so?, I asked. That's not for them, the DNR, to do they said. So it's not really that big of deal- the CWD, is it?, I asked. Crickets.

I'm neutral on the issue. Don't really need the minerals for the antlers imo, just loved setting up cameras at such sites. I see a couple of companies adding humic acid to their products which can supposedly help degrade the prions. I guess they're free to say that as well as sell it anywhere, too.

Anyone here saying screw them, I'm taking my chances(getting caught, too) and putting the stuff out?
Ha I always laugh about this when I go into Tractor Supply or Walmart and they have stacks and stacks of "deer" corn and attractants. My area recently became a CWD area, so there is no feeding any time of the year, and we've never been allowed to bait, yet those stacks of deer corn sell out all fall during season. They even had an attractant called dirtbag that is supposed to look like dirt so it's not easily found. Can't imagine what that gets used for. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

How much time have you spent reading peer-reviewed manuscripts on this or mask mandates? What amount of evidence would result in you changing your mind, on either subject?
0.... 0 would be the answer to your question. I dont have to read the gibberish from the so called experts to know what my eyes tell me.
The masks have repeatedly been shown to not do anything other than look incredibly stupid.
Back to the baiting now, taking one food source away from a wild herd of deer could only do nothing, think about it. Do you really think these deer see no bait piles and say to themselves " well i wanted to eat with all the other deer, but now i guess i will just not ever go near another deer again" . Its lunacy to think banning a bait pile would do anything at all. Especially if you also plant food plots or grow fruit trees, or just have a mast producing tree on your property. What the only place a deer ever comes in contact with anything another deer has touched is at a bait pile? It makes 0 sense.
Again, i dont bait usually. Not because im against it but because i dont beleive it does much to attract deer during daylight. I do plant plots and trees though. Maybe i should just till it all under? You know, to protect the deer!

Maybe an expert in infectious diseases has a relevant opinion on infectious diseases. Having them work on non-infectious diseases probably isn't a winning strategy. Just a thought.

The biggest hurdle facing out society today is lack of critical thinking skills. The above case in point.

No reasonable person is saying stopping baiting will stop CWD. Just like masks were not meant to be impenetrable to Covid. "Oh see! Why should we be forced to do these things if they don't work perfectly?!" If these measures can slow the spread while experts figure these things out, minor inconveniences to that end should be attempted until we know more. Does outlawing baiting actually slow the spread? I'm sure it's very difficult to measure. But is it really that much of an inconvenience to not bait, even if there is a moderate chance of slowing its spread? I never found wearing a mask was that much of an inconvenience. I care about other people, and about the future of hunting in this country, more than I do about mild inconveniences.

Are there anecdotes of people going too far with enforcing regulations? Absolutely. Idiots are everywhere on both sides of just about any issue. These idiots don't negate the the potential effectiveness of these control measures.
Yeah, cause doubling down on stuff that's shown no effectiveness is solid path to resolution. Writing pen15 on your forehead while not baiting during deer season will also slow the spread of CWD.

I get that it's uncomfortable for many people. And my nose tends to run if I've had a mask on for more than 20-30 minutes. The problem with these types of issues is that people who are only mildly inconvenienced (being the VAST majority of individuals), and who don't wear masks or still bait, increase the amount of time we have to put up with these diseases. If it's too uncomfortable to wear a mask and shop just ask the store to grab the items for you. If it's a government building or healthcare facility they are nearly always willing to work with you.

How is banning baiting shortening the duration of cwd?
In wisconsin we have gone as far as killing every deer seen to "contain" cwd. It didnt do anything.
Can you tell me how long cwd has actually been around? Probably not , not with any real accuracy. My bet is its been around for ever.

Yeah, cause doubling down on stuff that's shown no effectiveness is solid path to resolution. Writing pen15 on your forehead while not baiting during deer season will also slow the spread of CWD.
And covid i bet!

Think about the kids! What will they have to hunt if you bait and kill all the deer by CWD!
Now everyone will need to go out and shoot all the deer, so they can save the deer.

Because it has never been proven to increase the spread of CWD,much like it has never been proven that killing every deer in the county saves any deers lives.Many biologist believe CWD has been around for years and you will never get rid of it.Much like anthrax in deer in texas.Saw a show awhile back where they said on their ranch the deer got anthrax from buffalo wallows and would dir from it and they would burn the carcass.

I think its stupid, there is a licking branch I have a camera on. Every deer around hits it.

That's what's lost in the irony of all this. In Missouri (MDC) is so delusional to think we are stopping CWD by ditching the mineral sites but yet deer scrape, paw and lick on all the same trees (and each other!) daily. Give me a break, Deer are social animals..

Maybe make deer wear the stupid masks if you want to stop it.. Oh wait - The CDC say masks don't work anymore anyway, so that's also a waste of time. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited: