Trailer coupler wont close. Help?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
I have a 16 foot PJ Tandem Car Trailer that I plan to sell. I just never use it anymore.....and my truck (Honda Ridgeline) is not up to specs for hauling my tractor......thus it's been sitting for 4 years. I went to hook it up as I thought I would take it to my house to sell it on-line. The stupid coupler will not close. Never had an issue before with the coupler.

I have been perusing the internet trying to find a solution.....but nothing yet. It's a Cequent cast coupler as shown in the pic (this is made under several different brands including Bulldog and Reese). The side closure swings free.....but it will not swing closed to allow the sleeve to lock it in place. I have wacked it pretty good with a 5 lb hammer.....but it will not close. Looked at it every way to Sunday......and cannot figure it out. Anyone know what is wrong? TIA.tempImageKFDplu.jpgtempImageEV5Get.jpg

I found this on the trailer forum I am a member of: “Between moving the jack up and down and wiggling the truck slightly up and back it finally popped out.”

The rub points on the coupler cause bare metal to really rust…Since you don’t have a load, you might want to connect it (with chains) and drive it slowly on a private road. I’ve never had one as bad as you are describing—but I have has some really lock up that required a sledge hammer to break lose.

Maybe some heat at the pivot point? I looked at mine and there’s really nothing to it. Hmm…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe some heat at the pivot point? I looked at mine and there’s really nothing to it. Hmm…

That is what is so hard for me to understand. Like said....it's a simple design. I oiled it up really good.....and the sleeve operates freely.....and the coupler "swings" freely until it just hit's a hard stop. And I do not see what is providing the "stop". One of those real head scratchers. I am afraid to whack it any harder with a hammer.....and things seem as free as ever. I think I will try as 356 says and drive it down a dirt road a bit to see if that loosens it up. I am missing a compression spring that is supposed to open the coupler.....but that has never prevented it from working in the past. It opens fine....but will not close.....even tho it closes 1/2 the way then seems to hit a hard stop point.

I'm wondering if that spring has rusted away and a chunk of it got stuck into the operational space of that "swinging" action of that coupler. I've been digging around in there with a flat screw driver and washing it out pretty good. I'll give it another go when its not so hot.

Thanks for the inputs. Baffling. I suppose I can buy a replacement hitch......but I need to go through more motions before doing that.

That is what is so hard for me to understand. Like said....it's a simple design. I oiled it up really good.....and the sleeve operates freely.....and the coupler "swings" freely until it just hit's a hard stop. And I do not see what is providing the "stop". One of those real head scratchers. I am afraid to whack it any harder with a hammer.....and things seem as free as ever. I think I will try as 356 says and drive it down a dirt road a bit to see if that loosens it up. I am missing a compression spring that is supposed to open the coupler.....but that has never prevented it from working in the past. It opens fine....but will not close.....even tho it closes 1/2 the way then seems to hit a hard stop point.

I'm wondering if that spring has rusted away and a chunk of it got stuck into the operational space of that "swinging" action of that coupler. I've been digging around in there with a flat screw driver and washing it out pretty good. I'll give it another go when its not so hot.

Thanks for the inputs. Baffling. I suppose I can buy a replacement hitch......but I need to go through more motions before doing that.

My spring has never worked either. My guess is a small piece of something is caught near the hinge point. Something very small there would keep it open quite a ways.

MAYBE A BUSHING IN THERE WITH A FLAT SPOT?

Foggy,

Have you tried profanity?

.......always try that first

thanks

bill

Foggy,

Have you tried profanity?

.......always try that first

thanks

bill
Hmmm, I’ve tried that but it doesn’t work too well for me Bill. It does help after I’ve pinched my finger with that cussed sleeve though !😬

At the risk of highjacking this thread, I’ll relate a scary experience with my trailer. It’s a 20’ heavy duty tandem axle that weighs 2900 lb. empty. It has a Bulldog hitch as pictured in the OP. Last year I moved my tractor to the deer lease and back and as I looked over the hitch to unlatch it I saw that it was cracked from bottom to top on the right side. I immediately imagined the carnage that could have ensued had it completely broken when I was going down the road loaded at 60/65 mph. Lesson learned: check your stuff regularly !