CWD and salt/mineral sites

Again..forget the requirement. They are not even REQUESTING it. A simple announcement and reminders every so often . They should have done this years ago.

BTW...I think I've thought of the only safe way to do this. Motion activated liquid salt/mineral solution dispenser hanging 8 ft above a creek. Starts dripping when triggered.

Scratch that...the deer would end up licking each other.

I understand what you are saying. Our cwd zone does not allow for minerals placed for deer. Yet if you are also a cattle rancher, you can legally place minerals for cattle - on the same ground you deer hunt. You cant supplemental feed cervids outside of deer season, yet you can fill a trough with a 1000 lbs of corn, rice bran, and nut grub for cattle - on the same ground you deer hunt. Watering troughs all over cattle ground - that are also inhabited by deer. Of the 1000’s of acres of land used for hunting around my acreage - all of it except mine is also cattle country. Not sure how reasonable it would be to prevent my use of minerals on my 300 acres when the neighbor is buying mineral blocks by the pallet and nut grub, corn, and sweet feed by the 18 wheeler.

I think too much confidence placed in government to fix much of anything is a waste of time, and frankly, unsafe if you are one interested in your own destiny. Not a ton of success stories for the crowd that bet on government to keep them safe and prosperous throughout history. Every crisis always ends up the same. We spend a ton of money, wreck a bunch of off-target sh*t, destroy freedom, and nothing is ultimately resolved.

Terrorism, housing affordability, the dollar, CWD, rona, poverty, research, healthcare, crime, education, starvation, obesity, the border, invasive species, global warming, pike abundance, pheasants, hunter access...

No CWD here close to my county, just a few cases in the state...but the state sure seems to be trying to get it they have done nothing about shutting the deer farms down.

IMG_0564.jpg masks work!!!!! check the bounty on this covid free baby

bill

IMG_0565.jpg
.........what happens when they dont wear masks.......

bill

I was just suggesting there is a balance between individual freedom and and government mandates and regulation. Many refused to follow guidelines and mandates during COVID because they felt infringed upon. So, with CWD, a lesser threat, you suggest the DNR is not serious because they have not somehow gone beyond their jurisdictional authority and required businesses to post some kind of signage.

There will always be some who think the government is using too heavy of a hand while others think it is too light. It is tough to strike the right balance. I can't speak to your DNR. Our DWR has done a very good job but stayed in their lane when it comes to CWD. Increased deer farm regulations and inspections, changes in regulations, feeding bans, and more. Yet CWD keeps marching slowly forward.

We have had anti-baiting laws for years. DWR does take it seriously here, but they have limited resources. If a hunter calls in and reports a neighbor baiting, they will address it. The problem is that they have limited game wardens and lots of other priorities.

Thanks,

Jack
I think it has less to do with an infringment on rights than it has to do with just pure stupidity. Cwd,a natural disease passed from deer to deer,we better ban feeding deer....... because you know they dont normally eat at the same place anywhere else. We better get out there and cut down every producing oak tree, apple tree, and plow under every farmers field. Its a stupid law made by stupid people.
2 years ago i scattered our Halloween pumpkins around my south field. Opening morning of gun , 7 30 am a warden comes walking in. Says they've flown the plane over and saw my "bait piles". Thos was literally 20 or so pumpkins scattered over 6 acres. I was hoping for a throw and mow type thing as most were whole pumpkins. Long story short he said because i was with the kids he wouldnt cite me, but we had to pick them all up. I asked where we should put them? He says ,you have a compost pile? I say yeah right there. He says put them there. The there was 20 yards behind the tree me and the youngest were sitting in......... Sooooooo, 20 pumpkins scattered over 6 acres dangerous and deer killing, 20 or so on the compost pile in the same field? Perfectly safe.
You are correct in one way though, cwd restrictions are a lot like the covid restrictions, both are stupid and made by stupid people.

I think it has less to do with an infringment on rights than it has to do with just pure stupidity. Cwd,a natural disease passed from deer to deer,we better ban feeding deer....... because you know they dont normally eat at the same place anywhere else. We better get out there and cut down every producing oak tree, apple tree, and plow under every farmers field. Its a stupid law made by stupid people.
2 years ago i scattered our Halloween pumpkins around my south field. Opening morning of gun , 7 30 am a warden comes walking in. Says they've flown the plane over and saw my "bait piles". Thos was literally 20 or so pumpkins scattered over 6 acres. I was hoping for a throw and mow type thing as most were whole pumpkins. Long story short he said because i was with the kids he wouldnt cite me, but we had to pick them all up. I asked where we should put them? He says ,you have a compost pile? I say yeah right there. He says put them there. The there was 20 yards behind the tree me and the youngest were sitting in......... Sooooooo, 20 pumpkins scattered over 6 acres dangerous and deer killing, 20 or so on the compost pile in the same field? Perfectly safe.
You are correct in one way though, cwd restrictions are a lot like the covid restrictions, both are stupid and made by stupid people.

I'm not sure I agree. In some sense all disease is "natural" with very few exceptions, just like invasive species. Just because something occurs naturally doesn't make it any less dangerous. As I recall, CWD was first found in a deer research facility where deer were in close quarters and spread across the nation from there, largely due to trap and transfer for deer pens. It now threatens our sport.

There are, and always will be, stupid folks on both ends of the spectrum. Most of the rules I've seen have some fairly sound science as a foundation, but a few are instantiated out of a sense of an abundance of caution. There will always be folk on the enforcement side that overinterpret the rules and act heavy-handedly out of a sense of power. There will always be folks who flout the rules and regulations out of a sense of selfishness and independence.

Thanks,

Jack

I didnt say or mean to insinuate that cwd isn't serious for deer. It is, but to think it can be controlled by limiting baiting is just utter stupidity. Wild animals are in contact with each other all day every day.
To judge everyone who questions or ignores stupid laws as selfish is pretty ignorant imho.

I didnt say or mean to insinuate that cwd isn't serious for deer. It is, but to think it can be controlled by limiting baiting is just utter stupidity. Wild animals are in contact with each other all day every day.
To judge everyone who questions or ignores stupid laws as selfish is pretty ignorant imho.

So far, there is no way to stop CWD. However, point source attractants can increase the spread. Our DWR recognizes that and is focused on slowing the spread and performing research hoping a solution can be found before much more heavy handed measures are required. None of the professionals I've talked to think any of the measures we've implemented are a long-term solution to CWD.

Last edited:
So far, there is now way to stop CWD. However, point source attractants can increase the spread. Our DWR recognizes that and is focused on slowing the spread and performing research hoping a solution can be found before much more heavy handed measures are required. None of the professionals I've talked to think any of the measures we've implemented are a long-term solution to CWD.
I remember reading that cwd 7has been out west for decades. I dont know if thats true or not, frankly i dont care either way. Point is, no one knows. The people that try to look like they do are usually the biggest fools in the room.
Fact is ypu can not control a natural disease in a wild herd, it cannot be done. Look at wisconsin, we have decimated our deer herd. Its criminal what has been done in the name of "controlling " cwd. And guess what, its still around!
Trying to control cwd is akin to trying to control deer genetics by shooting all the spikes, its stupid. Think about it, we are trying to keep cwd from killing all the deer by killing all the deer. But hey, dont let them eat anything, yeah that makes sense. Kinda like wearing underwear on your face to stop the rona, idiotic.

Just think about all those folks who refuse to follow COVID guidelines. Many folks are dead as a result yet we don't legislate wearing masks, social distancing, or vaccine shots.

There are some areas where the many will suffer the consequences of the actions of the few.

Thanks,

Jack

That's just delusional ... I'll be very happy when we find a vaccine to prevent wokeness. :emoji_grin:

Maybe if we force all the deer to get vaccinated, then get a vaccine passport then maybe we can open up the bait piles.
Nah. That would be just pure lunacy

Maybe if we force all the deer to get vaccinated, then get a vaccine passport then maybe we can open up the bait piles.
Nah. That would be just pure lunacy
What's tragically hilarious about CWD and the rona, is that you find the same guy giving doomsday scenarios on both, and always speaking in "We don't know but" statements.

Michael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH, director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), said the paper is the first attempt at a cohesive framework for understanding CWD in America.

Infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm warned Sunday of a coming “fourth wave” of coronavirus infections in the U.S. due in part to a more contagious variant that is spreading and affecting younger people.

We should get these guys working on diabetes and heart disease too. Maybe they could spread their good luck of nobody dying to that as well.

We should get these guys working on diabetes and heart disease too. Maybe they could spread their good luck of nobody dying to that as well.
Maybe an expert in infectious diseases has a relevant opinion on infectious diseases. Having them work on non-infectious diseases probably isn't a winning strategy. Just a thought.

The biggest hurdle facing out society today is lack of critical thinking skills. The above case in point.

No reasonable person is saying stopping baiting will stop CWD. Just like masks were not meant to be impenetrable to Covid. "Oh see! Why should we be forced to do these things if they don't work perfectly?!" If these measures can slow the spread while experts figure these things out, minor inconveniences to that end should be attempted until we know more. Does outlawing baiting actually slow the spread? I'm sure it's very difficult to measure. But is it really that much of an inconvenience to not bait, even if there is a moderate chance of slowing its spread? I never found wearing a mask was that much of an inconvenience. I care about other people, and about the future of hunting in this country, more than I do about mild inconveniences.

Are there anecdotes of people going too far with enforcing regulations? Absolutely. Idiots are everywhere on both sides of just about any issue. These idiots don't negate the the potential effectiveness of these control measures.

Maybe an expert in infectious diseases has a relevant opinion on infectious diseases. Having them work on non-infectious diseases probably isn't a winning strategy. Just a thought.

The biggest hurdle facing out society today is lack of critical thinking skills. The above case in point.

No reasonable person is saying stopping baiting will stop CWD. Just like masks were not meant to be impenetrable to Covid. "Oh see! Why should we be forced to do these things if they don't work perfectly?!" If these measures can slow the spread while experts figure these things out, minor inconveniences to that end should be attempted until we know more. Does outlawing baiting actually slow the spread? I'm sure it's very difficult to measure. But is it really that much of an inconvenience to not bait, even if there is a moderate chance of slowing its spread? I never found wearing a mask was that much of an inconvenience. I care about other people, and about the future of hunting in this country, more than I do about mild inconveniences.

Are there anecdotes of people going too far with enforcing regulations? Absolutely. Idiots are everywhere on both sides of just about any issue. These idiots don't negate the the potential effectiveness of these control measures.
1. Show me where baiting bans has done anything at all to slow the spread of cwd? Its not there. I dont bait, but i do plant plots and fruit. Its all the same, why is one ok but the other is not? It makes 0 sense. Its not about inconvenience at all, its more about if you are going to try something, try something that makes sense.
2. Show where masks help slow anything? Not what this thread is for but curious as to what you got. Plenty showing that they did nothing at best.
Experts? Too funny

Decent virtue signaling though! Kudos!

? I never found wearing a mask was that much of an inconvenience.
Yet when I wear one, my nose doesnt stop running, and I have a huge problem breathing, being I have asthma, and also constantly plugged sinuses. I find it hard to catch my breath just walking normally without a mask, add on a mask, and I get winded, and light headed doing much at all.

I am glad the masks dont bother you, but they bother the shit out of me.

1. Show me where baiting bans has done anything at all to slow the spread of cwd? Its not there. I dont bait, but i do plant plots and fruit. Its all the same, why is one ok but the other is not? It makes 0 sense. Its not about inconvenience at all, its more about if you are going to try something, try something that makes sense.
2. Show where masks help slow anything? Not what this thread is for but curious as to what you got. Plenty showing that they did nothing at best.
Experts? Too funny

Decent virtue signaling though! Kudos!

How much time have you spent reading peer-reviewed manuscripts on this or mask mandates? What amount of evidence would result in you changing your mind, on either subject?

In my county, they have banned baiting, because surrounding counties had deer farms that tested positive with CWD. But to be honest, baiting just attracted more problem bears, sure it brought in deer as well, but it wasnt worth the trade off since I have fruit trees.