Big change coming to parts of WI

shawnv

5 year old buck +
A deer on an Eau Claire County deer farm has tested positive for CWD so I guess by rule that means no baiting in the following counties: Eau Claire, Clark, Jackson.

Last edited:
Yeaaaaa! One step closer to a statewide ban!:D

I think the baiting ban on neighboring counties only occurs if the county line is within a certain distance from the positive test, but I'm not sure what that distance is. I sure hope this give us a statewide baiting ban, that would be great.

I think the baiting ban on neighboring counties only occurs if the county line is within a certain distance from the positive test, but I'm not sure what that distance is. I sure hope this give us a statewide baiting ban, that would be great.

"A county is included if a wild or captive animal has been tested and confirmed to be positive for CWD in the county or portion of the county is within a 10-mile radius of a wild or captive animal that has been tested and confirmed to be positive for CWD."

You're right so depending on where is EC County it is, it will probably be 3-4 of the counties listed from the 10-mile rule.

The outright statewide ban can only come from Legislative action in Madison, and many of them won't touch the subject with a 10' pole. So, no statewide ban in our immediate future, but at the rate we are going, the emergency disease bans by the DNR will eventually cover the whole state in just a few more years anyway.

I live on 11 acres and I can't imagine having that many deer on a property of that size...

If I have the right deer farm in Fairchild,WI (per news report) it would include just Clark and Jackson counties besides EC.

Last edited:
Nothing for me to celebrate, I own land 6.5 miles away and my home farm is in the same county. I knew it was coming and is why I've been trying to get as much habitat work done as possible. I should attract even more deer with the neighbors not baiting based on my work but alas, I hate that the disease is here.

Last edited:
Give it ten years and it will be outside the fence, like almond. 10 more years and it's widespread like Madison.
http://dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/2011/december/12-11-2b2.pdf
The dnr couldn't control contamination outside the fence with all these precautions. Oh-forget ever knowing the real story because our governor squashed dnr research!
America gotta love it!

Baiting means that much to u, u are celebrating Cwd in the heart of wis herd? Everybody has to have an agenda I guess.
Baiting doesn't mean $h!t to me, banning baiting does however, so you might want to get that straight first of all! Also, I am celebrating nothing but the fact that we can now add multiple new counties to the baiting ban area, and I for one am ecstatic to see more counties closed to baiting, by whatever means necessary. I think your vision is very, very skewed, banning baiting should mean a lot to everyone that deer hunts in this state and every other state. If this is the ONLY method available right now for producing a statewide ban on baiting deer(which has been shown many times over to be a highly likely transmission mode for CWD) then your d#mn right I am for finding CWD on a deer farm in an area that affects many counties. Great for the counties that it was not found in to be able to capitalize on the rule that the DNR uses to do the best they can without action from our spineless Legislators in Madison. Honestly dipper, you had better remove the rose-colored glasses and quit snorting the fairy dust, this disease is on everyone's doorstep, they likely just haven't verified it...YET!

Reactions: kl9
Deer farm map
farmmap.pdf

Nobody says they ever say a Cwd deer, but these pics look damn real to me

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/sickdeer.html

Baiting doesn't mean $h!t to me, banning baiting does however, so you might want to get that straight first of all! Also, I am celebrating nothing but the fact that we can now add multiple new counties to the baiting ban area, and I for one am ecstatic to see more counties closed to baiting, by whatever means necessary. I think your vision is very, very skewed, banning baiting should mean a lot to everyone that deer hunts in this state and every other state. If this is the ONLY method available right now for producing a statewide ban on baiting deer(which has been shown many times over to be a highly likely transmission mode for CWD) then your d#mn right I am for finding CWD on a deer farm in an area that affects many counties. Great for the counties that it was not found in to be able to capitalize on the rule that the DNR uses to do the best they can without action from our spineless Legislators in Madison. Honestly dipper, you had better remove the rose-colored glasses and quit snorting the fairy dust, this disease is on everyone's doorstep, they likely just haven't verified it...YET!
I've got Cwd a couple miles north west of me and Cwd 10 miles south west of me and it ain't because of baiting. Rose colored glasses? Just because I'm not drinking the baiting is destroying us band wagon, doesn't mean I have my head in the sand. Hell I've had 30 deer concentrated on a 1.5 acre food plot,how is that any different than 3 deer on a pile of corn?

I've got Cwd a couple miles north west of me and Cwd 10 miles south west of me and it ain't because of baiting. Rose colored glasses? Just because I'm not drinking the baiting is destroying us band wagon, doesn't mean I have my head in the sand. Hell I've had 30 deer concentrated on a 1.5 acre food plot,how is that any different than 3 deer on a pile of corn?
Then you most likely have CWD in deer that are visiting your land, sorry about your luck. :(So, since we all know that baiting isn't destroying us, by your post you sound like you are for continuing baiting in the face of scientific data that shows otherwise, it sure sounds like your the one the baiting means that much too? Again, I'm not on any bandwagon, other than the one that says baiting is an unnecessary method for harvesting deer and is generally a transmission point for diseases of many types, not just CWD, so it needs to just go away. It does nothing at all to benefit the health of the deer herd, unless of course you have some previously unknown data to show otherwise that you would like to share with us?

Reactions: kl9
It's a hunting ("shooting/venison shopping") ranch they run too, they must have more than 12 acres so maybe this is where the stock comes from? Still, the owners I assume ran a legit business and I'm sure they feel terrible and I feel bad for them. It's for sure not a business I would want to be in right now.

Last edited:
Article said they import some of the stock for the hunting farm from out of state, but that farm is not under the quarantine.

That's not a food plot, it's a small time production ag field to feed your chickens. ;):D