Best cellular cam?

Garrett2006

5 year old buck +
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the best cellular trail cam? I have 3 SPYPOINT Evo, but here lately they have been hit & miss sense the new app came out. Customer service is also hit and miss although they have been helpful if you can get them on the phone. Looking to find another brand to switch to that others have had great success with. I’m on Verizon’s network, with phones around here no other network has good service.

What is your budget?

Don’t mind spend 300-500$. Reconyx I believe is 500, but USA made & I like that part.

I’ve been running Spartans continuously for 20 months nonstop. Few little nuances you will learn but I can’t complain. Customer service usually never answers right away but always calls you back. That can be an issue when you are in the field and live 6 hours away but only once have I had to leave a camera not sending pics. Still took them, just didn’t sent. Was a simple antenna issue.

Last edited:
Spartan does look good although I wish their data plans were cheaper. I had planned to get their white flash model but their non-cellular white flash(which I also was interested in) was taken off their website and when I inquired as to why I was told because they're switching to strobes. So I wonder if they will eventually be changing the cellular ones to strobes as well.

I have a Cuddeback strobe which I'm pleased with even with the bugs they're still working on with the updates etc. You can then link numerous other Cuddebacks to the home-base one so you only purchase one plan..which I have yet to do. They don't allow for video to be sent like Spartan does.

Tactacam's Reveal for the price looks good- reviews and other forums' posts on it are mostly positive. Data plans are reasonable and you actually get 500 pics in the 500 pics plan, unlimited is unlimited etc. I'm waiting for them to be back in stock..

Little back story, I bought my first Spartan GoCam back in May. Tried setting it up, came up with an error "cannot connect to network". Emailed customer service and had a reply back within a half hour. This lead to them calling me shortly after and they sent me a new antenna and SIM card. Great, got it in the mail a week later. Same issue, cannot connect to network. Got a hold of customer service again, they wanted me to send the camera in. $35 to ship plus a check for $12 to have them send it back. They called me and said its the camera not the SIM or antenna so they're sending me a brand new camera. Got the new camera, SAME ISSUE. At this point im a little irritated. I got assigned one specific customer service rep that went above and beyond with helping me. Sent me a shipping label and covered the new shipping cost with the 3rd camera. Third times the charm, connected to the network right away.

I've had it out for 2 weeks now and I'm impressed with the picture quality. I have AT&T in northern Wisconsin and i usually get 3 bars on my phone. The camera gets full bars and sends the pictures instantly with a very user friendly APP.

Last edited:
It's the picture quality that got me interested in Spartan. Night videos with their white flash/leds as well. I'm sure someday I'll own one.

Ive had 2 Spartan GoCams for over a year out constantly. Its about $12 per camera, per month. I want to get another but have no real reason too... trying to decide how many i can really justify having. I cant say anything but good about them. The pics, the videos, the sound... the CS. Everything has been top notch for me!

I wish I knew how to post videos on here. The quality is unreal.

I wish I knew how to post videos on here. The quality is unreal.

Upload them to YouTube or Vimeo and post the link to them here.

I have the spartans as stand alones, and a cuddelink system. There's a thread on the cuddelinks that is so far over my head I can't even click into it. But they serve the purpose.

I like the spartan interface better, and I just set 3 of them up an hour ago without having to talk to Verizon or Spartan.

Just looked over on the Spartan website. Lots to look at. Any preference on a particular carrier? My signal for Verizon and ATT are very similar (shared tower I'm sure). The data plans mention data in MB or GB. How does that translate to pics? Swiffy, what are you getting for your $12 / month.

I've got two Spypoint micros that are ok. They work most of the time and take pretty good pics. They'll occasionally have gaps in transmission but that might have to do with the semi weak signal from camera. At their price they're hard to beat. I do $15 / month unlimited and I have them set up over food plots so the number of pics is high. An external 12v battery with solar panel and they'll hold up for a long time.

Best is in the eye of the beholder. Some want cheap, some want reliability, some want longevity, some want high resolution and picture quality, some want long battery life, some want fast trigger times, some want to be sure not to miss triggers, some want long flash range, some want true black flash....the list goes on. The key is a matter of finding the one that matches your specific application the best.

Just looked over on the Spartan website. Lots to look at. Any preference on a particular carrier? My signal for Verizon and ATT are very similar (shared tower I'm sure). The data plans mention data in MB or GB. How does that translate to pics? Swiffy, what are you getting for your $12 / month.

I've got two Spypoint micros that are ok. They work most of the time and take pretty good pics. They'll occasionally have gaps in transmission but that might have to do with the semi weak signal from camera. At their price they're hard to beat. I do $15 / month unlimited and I have them set up over food plots so the number of pics is high. An external 12v battery with solar panel and they'll hold up for a long time.

I pay the same, actually $11 fwiw. I have two AT&T and one Verizon. Both work fine even though my Verizon cell service sucks at my farm. I have run out of mb in a month before and all it does is automatically start the next month earlier, I do auto renewal every month so I don’t have to mess with it. The times it has run out has been times where I have done a lot of videos.
Another really awesome feature about spartan is a photo/video setting. It will send you photos just like normal but if you see something you like you can request a video and it will send you one. So it’s the best of both worlds without being on a straight video setting and eating data.

Breddick I have mine through Verizon... I have been told that I can get about 8000 pictures per camera in the 3 month period. I have never hit that limit so i dont know? Its plenty for what I do. They have a fast trigger. Even Alkaline batteries last months in the cold here in MN.

I have the GoCams. I prefer black flash but I cant see the red flash in my GoCams so Im happy with them. All the mature bucks im getting dont seem to mind them? I think one of my favorite features is what Howabouththemdawgs said, you get pictures to you phone (or app) but then you can request a video at anytime! Then when you go pull your card all the videos are available. It is the best of both worlds. I get some pictures where a buck is walking into the frame with his head down... then request the video and I can see him walk in and then turn his head side to side, all while you can hear them chewing and breathing. Its slick.

Not sure if you guys expect commission or not but I just ordered at GoCam. Anxious to see how it performs.

On my spypoints I use a 12v solar battery pack so I don't ever have to mess with batteries. Hoping the Spartan will accept a comparable 12v solar battery pack.

I’ve never done the YouTube thing before but maybe I figured it out... let me know it this works? A couple videos from the Spartan GoCam.

Awesome! We have a spartan as well, have yet to try in video mode though.

I’ve never done the YouTube thing before but maybe I figured it out... let me know it this works? A couple videos from the Spartan GoCam.

Do they always react to the camera that way? They must have heard something unless you were there recently.

In wooded areas, I always get photos of the biggest bucks within the first week of setting up a camera. Once they figure out that it's there, they walk behind it. I've switched a camera to the opposite side of a tree and watched them do it! Crazy.

Like YJ said, it's a matter of preference on makes and models. Spartan has incredible pictures and longevity. Moultrie and Spypoint are cheap, but Moultrie has issues with false positives and Spycam with false negatives. I've owned both and played with the trigger sensitivity to no avail. Nevertheless, they serve a purpose, albeit with some limitations, and in my hands perform reliably. I expect longevity to be an issue, given their price and build quality.

Most of my non-cell cameras are Browning, and I've yet to have one fail over five years, two properties, and fifteen or so cameras. I wish I could get a dozen BTC-5HD models - the original version (2016?) is by far the best in my arsenal. But I have not tried the Defender series of Browning cell cams yet. I'd love to hear from someone with experience using them.

Ahhh... Ive got 100's pictures of these bucks since then. I have the camera on a steel fence post so it sticks out like a sore thumb. Im guessing thats the issue. I have them react the same to my blackflash cameras as well when they are out in the open like this. I have had some older bucks walk by where I have the camera hidden and theyve never looked.

I will share this... I have a have a Cuddeback White flash camera 100 yards down the fenceline on mineral and i only had about 5%as many pictures as this cam! Also, the 7 and the 8 point here are both 4 1/2+ in age and I didnt have a single picture of either of them on the white flash camera. So that camera may have made them cautious of this one?

If any of them spooked from it or didnt come back id be concerned...but that has yet to happen.

Last edited: