Knife build thread for the trail cam Best of the Best Contest Prize.

Looks really nice!

Here's an update on the prize knife. I've got the pattern cut out and glued down to the 1095 blank. I also have the pins and tube cut for the mosaic pin that I'll be making. It will have a brass tube filled with a brass rod and stainless rods. There will also be a brass and stainless pin. Don't forget to enter the monthly contest for your chance to win.
https://habitat-talk.com/threads/habitat-talks-august-2022-trail-cam-contest.14792/#post-288989
Stay tuned for future updates on this build.

20220812_154056.jpg

Been a fan of Forged in Fire for awhile so wondering about the material of 1095. Not that I know much about this stuff but just curious about the benefits and tradeoffs in fabbing with that selection. Can guess that being so high carbon can be honed wicked sharp and the lucky recipient will need to treat with care to prevent rust.

1095 is one of the best steels to use. Any high carbon knife will rust if not cared for. Like any other knife you need to take care of it and it will last a life time. One more thing, I also enjoy forged in fire but it's a reality show. Remember you can't believe everything you see on TV. To date I have over 50 knives all over the country. Never had a complaint on any of them.

Sorry if you read my question the wrong way, not trying to be critical in any way. Just genuinely curious about the selection process. Back in the day when I started my career on a drafting board did a bit of work modifying others designs on rotary cutting modules that had dies that would go tens of millions of cuts before needing sharpening. But my experience with steel selections was limited to 1045 and 1060 for the cast forgings to make the knife rolls and typically D2 for the rotary dies. Later on think they might have switched to CPM 10V. Again this was over 35 yrs ago.

No I didn't take it the wrong way. Every Smith has their favorite steel to work with. I just like the qualities of 1095.

Last edited:
A couple of his knives have been in KS for a while and they have held their edges perfectly. Do need to dry them after washing if you don't want the metal to stain but that's easy enough.

No I didn't take it the wrong way. Every Smith has their favorite steel to work with. I just like the qualities of 1095.

1095 is a good hardenable steel, stands up well to heat treating, that will hold an edge. In order to achieve the high level of hardness in heat treating you need enough carbon steel so that the knife does not become too brittle.

Here's the weekly update on the prize knife build. The blade pattern has been cut out & holes drilled for the pins. The mosaic pin has been made & is all epoxied together. It consist of a brass tube filled with brass and stainless steel rods of various sizes. Stay tuned for future updates and don't forget to enter as this knife could be yours.
20220813_132532.jpg

Here's the weekly update on the prize knife build. The blade pattern has been cut out & holes drilled for the pins. The mosaic pin has been made & is all epoxied together. It consist of a brass tube filled with brass and stainless steel rods of various sizes. Stay tuned for future updates and don't forget to enter as this knife could be yours.
View attachment 45507

Looking good. I like the mosaic handle pins.

Here's this weeks update on the prize knife build. White Oak handle scale rough cut, brass, stainless & mosaic pin cut. Don't forget to enter as you could be the owner of this knife.

20220814_102206.jpg

Last edited:
Would it look funny if I won. 🤣
That's why I as the maker have no part of this contest other than making the knife. But if you do win it Bill it's not as suspenseful watching the updates since you have already seen the finished knife.