All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the glory days of deer hunting coming to a close?

I would argue no it won't. A new buck will just move in. Short term maybe but long term no.
Look all I'm saying is think about things outside your own world. Just because your goal is to kill the oldest deer doesn't mean that automatically means that has to be everyone's goal. Some only have a couple days or limited opportunities in some way. Some are happy just getting a deer, some any buck. So be it.
Ok well I live in my world, not someone else’s, so forgive me if my enthusiasm doesn’t ooze out of me for a grown adult to come to the Midwest and shoot a 2.5 year old buck.

Goose down vest and let the back hair grow out for late season.
The HBS has saved my ass a few times. Especially during gun season though. Haven’t experienced anything too cold for that yet. Including 0 temps.

I would argue no it won't. A new buck will just move in. Short term maybe but long term no.
I'd agree if its one property shooting one buck a year but that's not how it works. Multiply that by most every 20, 40, 80 acre property in an area every year and all of a sudden a 4 YO buck is a unicorn.

Ok well I live in my world, not someone else’s, so forgive me if my enthusiasm doesn’t ooze out of me for a grown adult to come to the Midwest and shoot a 2.5 year old buck.
Not saying it should, I don't get exited when people shoot every deer they see. Pisses me off to a point but I accept it because there isn't much I can do about it. What I can't or won't do Is try to tell others they can't shoot it because I don't think they should.

The thing I never see in the crossbow distraction is a discussion about cold weather. It gets so damn cold in my area that you have to have 5” of layers on after November 15th to be able to sit outside. I got one because I can’t shoot a compound bow with that much clothing on.

Maybe I’m not trying hard enough.

Some of the more intentionally designed (read: usually expensive) late season jackets are made with sleeves that are thin on the inside of the forearm for exactly this. I use first lite sanctuary parka and its a bulky bitch but can still shoot a bow with it. Pair that with an electric heated vest and you dont need that many layers with it even below zero.

The other thing ive done in warmer weather when wearing a ghillie to keep the ghillie from getting in the string is use a little forearm guard to pull it tight to inside of my bow arm. I imagine a guy could do the same to compress some insulation tight to their forearm.

I'd agree if its one property shooting one buck a year but that's not how it works. Multiply that by most every 20, 40, 80 acre property in an area every year and all of a sudden a 4 YO buck is a unicorn.
Not true. I know in our square spot of young bucks get shot every year. Every year there are more real big bucks that show up. I know the argument " but there could be more". I've seen at least 4 really big bucks this year. Yeah their cool to see, would be cool to get one but I don't put as much stock into it as some. I just don't care that much about it.

Not true. I know in our square spot of young bucks get shot every year. Every year there are more real big bucks that show up. I know the argument " but there could be more". I've seen at least 4 really big bucks this year. Yeah their cool to see, would be cool to get one but I don't put as much stock into it as some. I just don't care that much about it.
Good for you buddy. I do care that much about it

Well it is true in certain neighborhoods and not true in others. It is 100% true in mine. In others, there are terrain features or members of a neighborhood that always seem to let a few get to maturity even if most properties are hammering them young. In cases where one member of the neighborhood protects enough bucks for mature ones to exist, all the neighbors who enjoy seeing a buck live to half of it's natural life span are benefited by that neighbor.

This topic sure brings allot of comments. grin

This topic sure brings allot of comments. grin
Just think, there's probably some photography forum where people are complaining the giant bucks they only get a rare chance to see and photograph are being killed by "trophy hunters".

Just think, there's probably some photography forum where people are complaining the giant bucks they only get a rare chance to see and photograph are being killed by "trophy hunters".
No they argue over lens quality and light exposure.

Perhaps you don't understand it because you're putting words into peoples mouths. I said "a whole bunch of" not every, all, or most even. Also never said anything about spiting someone else. To the contrary, I don't think many people who shoot young bucks every year think their one buck has any impact on someone else.

Be honest - do you believe that SOME hunters are motivated to kill a deer because it helps their ego to not eat a tag? Do you believe that SOME hunters feel better about themselves because they shot a 1 YO buck than a doe? You seem to take these comments personally, i'm not asking about you, i'm asking about hunters in general.
I would answer with a question, do you feel better about yourself when you shoot the buck you are after? Don't you think it's the same thing?

Not putting any words in anyone's mouth. Just reacting to what's there. It seems like most feel like anyone else shooting a buck they passed on is a direct threat to their deer herd. A whole bunch insinuates many or most.

Perhaps you don't understand it because you're putting words into peoples mouths. I said "a whole bunch of" not every, all, or most even. Also never said anything about spiting someone else. To the contrary, I don't think many people who shoot young bucks every year think their one buck has any impact on someone else.

Be honest - do you believe that SOME hunters are motivated to kill a deer because it helps their ego to not eat a tag? Do you believe that SOME hunters feel better about themselves because they shot a 1 YO buck than a doe? You seem to take these comments personally, i'm not asking about you, i'm asking about hunters in general.
I would say that some of you take all this personally. I'm just stating the other side. That just because it's what you want doesn't mean everyone else must want the same. It's how some act or talk, if someone shoots a smaller buck or worse, one I passed they must be uneducated, or lazy, or a bad hunter. I'm saying some people just don't care about it. Some don't have the time to put in some of us do. Some are totally Happy with a 2 year old 8. To each their own. There will be more deer.

Good for you buddy. I do care that much about it
Boy howdy, do I have good news for you! Money can always buy better deer hunting. Just move or buy more land.

Eta: Having said that, every time I poke my lip out about my hunting land neighbors, a buddy usually whacks a stud on public land. That usually recalibrates me. Money and time. Money and time.

Last edited:
I have a good friend who is big into trophy hunting. He's the guy that looks at every deer killed and says "would have been real nice in a couple years" So now literally every deer he kills I say the same to him. He's starting to get it.

Some of my most satisfying hunts have been tagging a dink.

But it’s been still hunting/ tracking in snow.

Hunting in a stand reminds me of ice fishing.

Its fun but it’s more passive

so meowing about poor stand hunting seems
to me …. passive aggressive behavior

u don’t like it …… fine ….go find em….it’s fun!

Last edited:
I have a good friend who is big into trophy hunting. He's the guy that looks at every deer killed and says "would have been real nice in a couple years" So now literally every deer he kills I say the same to him. He's starting to get it.
That's just the thing. Guys like Baker and a few others won't shoot lowly 5.5 yr olds. They could have this same thread except substitute 3.5 for 5.5 and most of us would have to tuck tail and run. Haha

That's just the thing. Guys like Baker and a few others won't shoot lowly 5.5 yr olds. They could have this same thread except substitute 3.5 for 5.5 and most of us would have to tuck tail and run. Haha
With all due respect if I had a high fence too I could pass on 5.5 all day long