Are the glory days of deer hunting coming to a close?

People need that hero pic for social media. Before the hero pics were a thing, guys in my state needed that pin for their hat. IL has always given out pins for a deer harvest. A different color each year. When CWD counties became a thing, the colors for those pins are only black n white. They said those were more collectable and valuable... yeah right. I'm not sure I ever see a scenario where the majority is passing up 3.5 yr old bucks. Most guys can't even tell what that is. They see a rack, they shoot.
Before the internet, the hero shot was the open tailgate 4 point parade in the back of the ford Ranger through town!

Before the internet, the hero shot was the open tailgate 4 point parade in the back of the ford Ranger through town!
Haha, hey we take pics and celebrate every deer we shoot. For as long as there will be tailgates and beer, I will be taking tailgate pics with beer.

20201204_173705.jpg20201204_201154.jpg

Like I said, if they are not breaking any laws then what's the problem? People hunt for many different reasons, your goals are not necessarily someone else's goals. For instance I'm a meat first hunter. I would rather take a 2 or 3 yearold than a 5 year old because in my opinion the meats better. If a big 5 yo came out would I shoot it? You bet your life I would, but if it came out alongside a good 2 or 3 yo? Now I have a decision to make. I'm not saying you are wrong, if how you do it makes you happy then I am happy, what I don't like is judging others because their goals aren't the same as ours.
Not being a smart azz or anything, but if you're a meat hunter primarily, whats wrong with shooting a doe or 7?

Our DNR gives us plenty of doe tags. If you wanna eat, kill all the does you want. Why shoot that buck that has something in 2 years that'd be a lot of fun to chase?

Not being a smart azz or anything, but if you're a meat hunter primarily, whats wrong with shooting a doe or 7?

Our DNR gives us plenty of doe tags. If you wanna eat, kill all the does you want. Why shoot that buck that has something in 2 years that'd be a lot of fun to chase?
Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting a doe. I highly advocate for it. What I'm saying is if I choose to shoot a smaller buck or a younger buck, that's my choice my decision. I will be proud of whatever I decide to shoot. My first bull buck was also the smallest buck I've ever shot. I was proud as hell of that dear. Just because of the work I put in to get what I'm saying is if it's legal and it makes you happy then do it. Who am I to judge? If you want to take every spike buck you see? Who am I to judge? If you want to take every 5-year-old deer you see?

Every year in my area there are countless one, two and three-year-old bucks taken. But yet oddly enough, every year there's countless four five sometimes even maybe a 6-year-old deer taken. Weird how that works
I don't mean this to be disrespectful to anyone. But really it's just the age old argument that if everyone else would just do everything exactly the way I do it everyone will be happier. Just doesn't work that way.

I will agree with the hunter restraint aspect of things though. I mean this in terms of the number of deer taken around here. It's like a badge of honor to take as many deer as possible. I posted on here last year about a guy that lives on the outskirts of town. Not far from me the last I heard this group of. I think 8 guys mostly family and friends had 26 to 30 deer hanging in their barn. Now I know that's legal and I'm not advocating for anything other than a little bit of restraint. When is enough enough? That would be my question.

Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting a doe. I highly advocate for it. What I'm saying is if I choose to shoot a smaller buck or a younger buck, that's my choice my decision. I will be proud of whatever I decide to shoot. My first bull buck was also the smallest buck I've ever shot. I was proud as hell of that dear. Just because of the work I put in to get what I'm saying is if it's legal and it makes you happy then do it. Who am I to judge? If you want to take every spike buck you see? Who am I to judge? If you want to take every 5-year-old deer you see?

There's where the money's at. I have zero problems with "climbing the ladder".

But when you have conquered a couple of those deer, maybe aspire to more. shooting the same fork horn 9 years in a row isn't necessary. If you have to kill one, and you have a stack of small racks at home, kill a doe for food.

I'm in no way knocking a kid or a hunter early in his career killing smaller deer. THat's awesome. My son's first buck was one of the finest moments I've ever had in the woods. But, when he's 19 and has killed 6 of those small basket racks, I want him to reach for more. And that's a life lesson, not just a deer hunting lesson.

It was supposed to say bow buck. Stupid voice to text

. a 3.5 year old deer is a pretty deer, to the untrained eye

I think this is an often overlooked point. People just aren't aware. It's difficult to make a good decision if you don't have good information. Maybe hunters ed classes should focus more on QDM.

I think this is an often overlooked point. People just aren't aware. It's difficult to make a good decision if you don't have good information. Maybe hunters ed classes should focus more on QDM.
I think I would much rather have Hunter's education classes focus more on ways to not shoot each other.

I think I would much rather have Hunter's education classes focus more on ways to not shoot each other.
how many dudes do you know who've been shot?

if you chopped off my arms, i could still count the number on the fingers on one hand

It was supposed to say bow buck. Stupid voice to text
I got your drift. And hunters mature. There was a time I wanted to kill as many deer as I could. And I don't want to take that away from younger hunters. I'm talking about the guys who've been there, done that, and continue to not aspire to more.

This weekend is our opener. Bow season was a single 3 hour hunt this year due to work. My dream is to be with my son as he hopefully gets any deer that will put a smile on his face as big as Swampcat's granddaughter's. If that's not the good old days then I'm not sure what is. Anyone who is struggling I'd suggest to maybe start by shutting off their computers, tvs and cell phones. Detach from it maybe even for a couple years. Might not cure it all but I think it would help.
I haven’t read all of the posts on this discussion, but you make a good point. All of us need to put a smile on our face and congratulate a hunter who makes a legal kill and is happy with the deer. I see TOO much emphasis on what deer the next hunter should or shouldn’t have shot. Sorry guys, but I blame ‘quality management’ and one organization for much of this.

I belonged for over 20 years and constantly struggle to change my attitude. Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable. Don’t ruin the enjoyable part for yourself or anyone else.

My wife pointed out to me about 15 years ago that I need to change my attitude instead of complaining about what other hunters shoot.

It is hard to do, but I keep trying.

how many dudes do you know who've been shot?

if you chopped off my arms, i could still count the number on the fingers on one hand
Wow. You're right because not many guys get shot every year. We should just not worry about it anymore and focus solely on making sure every hunter only shoots the buck We want them to shoot. Where does it end? Do we put tags on the deer that we're allowed to shoot .
The reason that not many get shot during hunting seasons is due in a large part because of the great hunter education systems that we have.
I should amend this a bit. I don't mean it to sound the way that it does. I just feel pretty strongly about the safety aspect in the woods and field.

Education is not either/or. You don't have to remove safety education in order to add QDM education.

Wow. You're right because not many guys get shot every year. We should just not worry about it anymore and focus solely on making sure every hunter only shoots the buck We want them to shoot. Where does it end? Do we put tags on the deer that we're allowed to shoot .
The reason that not many get shot during hunting seasons is due in a large part because of the great hunter education systems that we have.
I'm speaking in generalities on the deer being shot. The first 40 hour paycheck you pulled, I bet you were pumped! You wanna keep making that same amount the rest of your life? No. You're trying to better yourself and be worth more. Same concept, IMO.

Good diversion of the topic tho taking it to hunter safety. Is Not Shooting Someone and Aging A Deer mutually exclusive in hunter ed? Your argument makes it sound like you can have one or the other, not both.

I got your drift. And hunters mature. There was a time I wanted to kill as many deer as I could. And I don't want to take that away from younger hunters. I'm talking about the guys who've been there, done that, and continue to not aspire to more.
To be honest, I really don't even worry all that much about the guys that kill a lot of deer. When I do have an issue with it is when those same guys are complaining about the numbers of deer we have in the area. How can we have numbers if you kill them all? I was once one of those guys too. If multiple deer came in. My goal was to shoot every one of them. I grew out of it now. I'm happy to take one. Maybe two deer a year. Most years I don't take any. I let my son shoot whatever makes him happy. My younger son. He has goals then he wants to shoot a bigger buck every year. That's great. I'm all for it if that's what makes him happy. But I also tell him if you see it and you feel like it and it makes you happy, go for it.

Education is not either/or. You don't have to remove safety education in order to add QDM education.
The question is what does QDM have to do with Hunter's safety? I'll answer absolutely nothing

We should just not worry about it anymore and focus solely on making sure every hunter only shoots the buck We want them to shoot.

That's a logical fallacy. Education is purely to inform, so that hunters can make better decisions. Only a policy change would restrict what deer a hunter can shoot.

Since you admit that hunter education is effective at increasing hunter safety, why can't you admit that hunter education could be effective at improving wildlife quality management?

My desire to hunt safely does not decrease as my desire for hunt quality increases. I would presume that is true for the vast majority of hunters.

To be honest, I really don't even worry all that much about the guys that kill a lot of deer. When I do have an issue with it is when those same guys are complaining about the numbers of deer we have in the area. How can we have numbers if you kill them all? I was once one of those guys too. If multiple deer came in. My goal was to shoot every one of them. I grew out of it now. I'm happy to take one. Maybe two deer a year. Most years I don't take any. I let my son shoot whatever makes him happy. My younger son. He has goals then he wants to shoot a bigger buck every year. That's great. I'm all for it if that's what makes him happy. But I also tell him if you see it and you feel like it and it makes you happy, go for it.
Shoot a legal deer that makes you happy( it does need to match the landowners goals) and stop criticizing someone for what makes them happy.

Discussion is warranted if they complain about the numbers or size of their deer.