All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All you MN boat owners and those who go there, ready to go to class?

willy

5 year old buck +
http://www.trailers.mndnr.gov/

"Invasive education for all boaters in MN by July 15 required"

Too bad they wouldn't make all deer hunters take a class put together by your MDDI if they think this is the way to make a difference in the invasives fight.

That won't be a mess!
I hope they still have the old guy with the manicured lawn all the way to the waters edge and all the weeds pulled out the water waiting at the public boat launches on the holiday weekends. I could use a good lake protection speech.

Interesting. How are they going to enforce on all the guys traveling to Canada with boats.

How about all of the folks coming from out of state mn pulling a boat to come fish our 10,000 lakes...this is going to be a headache! Why don't they care about all of the invasives taking over our woods and prairies?

Interesting. How are they going to enforce on all the guys traveling to Canada with boats.

Looks like if you don't have a sticker on your trailer and get caught then you get a ticket.

That is so stupid! Unreal

I know I'll be taking my chances when I pull my boat two times a year, once to the cabin and once home in the fall. My lake is the only lake my boat has ever been in. Ridiculous

What will they think of next.

Just a guess but its all about revenue. Keep one fee for owning the boat and just raise it.

How about all of the folks coming from out of state mn pulling a boat to come fish our 10,000 lakes...this is going to be a headache! Why don't they care about all of the invasives taking over our woods and prairies?
Because they put them there (wolves), and don't do enough management to stop the monospeciation after logging.

I wonder about being able to buy a boat in MN and just pull it outta state. I've been keeping an eye out for a boat, but there aren't the quantities in the dakotas like there are in MN. What if I buy one in St Cloud and just try to get back to SD without the sticker?

The way I understand this, there will be no tickets issued THIS SUMMER, but there will be enforcement in subsequent years after the learning curve. The state is still developing the 10 question test to be taken online. With the state writing the test, it could take a while to write. You see, their legal dept has to review it to make sure it has been "dumbed down" to a fifth grade reading level before they will approve it. Then they will determine the fee for it as well.

I think there are too many instances where this should not be required and enforcement would be a nightmare.

Our three boats have never seen another body of water either, but we'd still get nailed driving around the lake from the public landing if there was a single weed hanging off.

Ya know, I'm pretty sure there's real crimes to bust people on. :rolleyes:

What a bunch of plsssstt!!!!!!

I'm just traveling through Minnesota from another state with my boat and trailer. Do I still need a decal?
Yes, Minnesota law states that anyone transporting watercraft or water-related equipment in Minnesota needs to complete training and display the decal on their trailer.

I just found out about this and can't take the class before I transport my boat. What can I do?
You can register for the class and get a temporary pass that gives you 7 days to complete the training.

How often do I need to renew?
Every three years you need to complete training and get a new trailer decal.

How long does the trailer training take?
The online training takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete. There are a few optional sections that add a little more time but aren’t required to complete the course.

Looks like a nice revenue stream for your state.

This new law is a great tool to raise people's awareness of AIS. For the first year of the law there is no fine, only a warning. After the first year and all the people talking about it the law will get repealed............for being stupid.

Yup...The People's Republic of Minnesota. Can you imagine how many boats/trailers from other states go through MN on the way to Ontario every year (and are never launched in MN)? This has nothing to do with invasive aquatics...just some politicians figured out a way to tax Minnesotans and non-residents who trailer their boats through MN. It also now gives law enforcement a reason to pull anyone trailering a boat over...and look for other violations/tickets to issue/more of a revenue stream. Pretty sickening IMHO

You hit it right on the head Stu. Just another money making rule.

To have more traffic backed up North of Two Harbors will be wonderful as I head to the boundary waters.

I erased a long rant about all the BS with MN and their AIS laws. I have never been ticketed but hardly fish anymore because of all the hoops you have to jump through. I might just say screw it altogether and spend more time on food plots and deer stands all summer.

ive read what i can about the law and its still unclear for my purposes. i do a canada trip every year (for the last 9 years). some years when there are 2-4 of us i just toss one or 2 canoes on top the suv. by my interpretation, this would make the law not apply to me as there is no 'trailer.' some years where weve had more than 4, we bring another car and trailer one or 2 of the canoes. i would then need this permit even though the trailer never enters the water. the permit is to be displayed on the tongue of the trailer.

either way, i will probably take the course and just pay the fee as i would rather not cause any trouble. minnesota is probably just hoping for a bunch of people like me who just pay it and dont ask questions.

the part i find the most strange about this law is the 7 days after a warning to get the certificate. how many people would get their warning on the way in and have a chance to take an online course while on a trip?

i will be planning in extra travel time in case of being pulled over. we drive through the night to hit the ranger station as it opens so we can get on the water asap.