Hunter Education

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
I taught another hunter education class today. I'm again reminded of the rewards of giving back. In recent years our game department has attempted to lower the entry bar to hunting in our state as much as possible without compromising safety. They started back in 2013 but reducing the class from a 2-day class to a 1-day class. In order to do that, they removed much of the "how-to-hunt" content but kept all of the safety and ethics core content. They added an on-line self-study section that students completed before coming to class that covers most of the topics removed from the classroom. Another step was to introduce a new apprentice license. This is sort of a "do I like hunting?" opportunity with no bar. The basic hunter education class is not required for this license, but the license holder is limited to hunting with an adult licensed hunter who directly take control of their firearm. The idea is for folks with a hunting background an opportunity to mentor their kids where the kids actually hunt; not just observe. The kids don't need the class to try it out. The license is only good for 2 years and after that the hunter education class is required for a regular license. While it is targeted at kids, there is no age limit. It applies to any novice hunter that has never held a license. As far as seasons go, they have created special "youth" days before the opening of the regular hunting season for specific game animals where anyone with a youth (12-15) or an apprentice license can hunt with a licensed hunter (who can not hunt only mentor).

Last year, they made a change that lowered the entry bar even further. The now provide an on-line only path to meet the basic hunter education requirement with no class room time required. They still offer the classroom version but it is no longer required. Demand for our basic hunter education class room class dropped dramatically when this happened. Good idea or bad from a safety perspective, only time will tell, but I hope it brings more folks into the sport.

Last month I taught the International Bowhunter Education Program class for the first time in many years as demand for the basic class has dwindled. The demographic of this class is generally much older. This class is now required to bowhunt on some local military bases, for Suburban Whitetail Management of Northern Virginia, many local deer reduction park hunts in the suburbs and by many western states for folks who travel to hunt. Each have their own rewards. Because of the greater experience base I get to delve into many of the technical aspects of bowhunting. The basic class gives us instructors much more exposure to kids with an early opportunity to influence them, but we are seeing more an more adults in the basic class who are considering hunting for the first time.

What does the future hold? We are now headed more an more toward hunting support (how to) classes that are not required but optional. We are seeing more demand for specific focus topics. The group of instructors I'm involved with is working on a class focused on spring gobbler hunting for next year. While safety refresher will always be part of any hunting class, the class will focus more on techniques.

Just seeing the excitement from the kids and appreciation and positive feedback from parents is a great reward for the little time it takes me to give back. I used to be the lead instructor for our group, but the coordinating and administrative aspects added up over the years, so I handed the lead off a couple years ago. It is so much fun just to show up and teach that I've fallen in love with it again.

If you have enjoyed the benefits and bounty of hunting over the years, I'd encourage you to look into becoming a volunteer hunter education instructor in your state. The pay starts out low $0, but they double it every year! :emoji_smile: The fringe benefits you receive from the participants are priceless!

Thanks,

Jack

I know what you mean I am a Kansas instructor,I didn't agree when they made the min age 11,too many kids are already lost to technology,we don't have a min age for big game so I think it's important to get them in class.I do like the class method I am using now where they study and take a test at home to qualify for the class,then they take a test to show they actually studied as soon as they get to class.If passed they get several hours of classroom then we go to the field.I usually do treestand safety where they get to climb ladder stands properly,we shoot bows,BB guns,.22s and they get to shoot like they are turkey hunting either sitting on ground or in a pop up blind with the 20 gauge.

I know what you mean I am a Kansas instructor,I didn't agree when they made the min age 11,too many kids are already lost to technology,we don't have a min age for big game so I think it's important to get them in class.I do like the class method I am using now where they study and take a test at home to qualify for the class,then they take a test to show they actually studied as soon as they get to class.If passed they get several hours of classroom then we go to the field.I usually do treestand safety where they get to climb ladder stands properly,we shoot bows,BB guns,.22s and they get to shoot like they are turkey hunting either sitting on ground or in a pop up blind with the 20 gauge.

Your service is very much appreciated! Not only by your students, but by many folks who want to see hunting have a future.

Best of luck,

Jack