Self Serving Junk

Tree Spud, the pleasure was sincerely mutual, and I'd enjoy that very much.

Sorry it's taken so long to get this info. Yesterday, I was able to order 50 copies of Adv Stand Hunting Strategies (1st book, all about where I try to setup during each phase of season and the little things I do to make stand locations work better) and another 50 of Bowhunting Tactics that Deliver Trophies (2nd book, hard cover. it was supposed to be named Details that Deliver Trophies, as I attempted to cover all the "little things" that I believe are most important to me for stacking the odds in killing bucks). As you know, the third in what's essentially a 3-part series is Big Buck Secrets (this deals more with how I strategize hunts - most chapters have an aerial photo or two of locations I killed bucks from, showing what I thought I knew about how the buck was using the location, where he came from, where the stand was, how I approached it and where the buck was when I shot him - and the most in-depth dissections of deer tendencies and how I try to apply them to hunting than I've ever written before).

I'll tell you straight up, if you do a little digging, you can get each of these books a bit cheaper than I can sell them to you for. If you buy 2-3 of them, I can come closer, as I only have to pay shipping once. Here are the prices I can give, tax and shipping included in each (CA residents need to add $5 to the total purchase price):

Adv Stand Hunting Strategies: $25
Bowhunting Tactics that Deliver Trophies: $30
Big Buck Secrets: $25

Any combo of 2 for $45, the complete series for $60.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that there is absolutely no duplication at all between books. Each was written for a different publisher (North American Whitetail, the Archery Trade Association and Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine's publishing company). Several of them insisted that I cover something that was already covered. That said, between the cumulative 41 chapters and introductions, MAYBE 4 cover the same topics and even those were completely rewritten, trying to say essentially the same things in a slightly different way, in an attempt to further clarify what I meant the 1st time. In other words, it's not 3 books rehashing the same topics over and over again. I purposefully laid out what my 1st 5 books would be before writing the first, specifically to avoid that. As mentioned, these first 3 are essentially a 3 part series that are meant to cover how I approach hunting and tie it all together.

if interested in buying any of these from me, just do the following:
1) send a check or money order written for $25, $30, $45 or $60 out to me to the address below.
2) specify which book or combo of books you want
3) specify if you want them signed and, if yes, to what name
4) include the address you would like them mailed to

Steve Bartylla
1406 Saint Joseph Ave
Marshfield, WI 54449

Steve, just curious and can't wait until my copy arrives. Do you get into hunting high pressured lands and/or public hunting areas in any of these books?

bueller, yes I do. I hunt a good share of small, hammered private grounds and public land every year (except this one, as I didn't hunt hardly at all). Since I spend about half my time on those types of ground, I try to cover that aspect in each book, particularly the 2nd and even more so on the 3rd (lot of compare and contrast stuff, explaining what approach I believe works best on high vrs low pressured grounds and how deer react differently on one vrs the other, if that makes sense).

Thanks MNFISH. Appreciate the support.

Steve - I'll have an envelope out to you tomorrow. Dad's gonna get something from Santa this year too! Usually he only visits the kids. I must have been real good this year. (Yeah, right. Haha!)

Thanks Steve. I'm not much of a book reader but have really enjoyed the few deer hunting books that I have read. I'm going to start off with your first book. Finally having a property that I have 100% control on has me thinking much differently. The restraints have been removed! Now is the time for me to step up into the next level and educating myself by reading your books will be a big component of that.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent out the last of the book orders I was sitting on today (and they were all orders for 2-3 books). Soooooooo, if you ordered the first book from me more than 1 week ago, you should have it already. If you ordered 2 or all 3 of the books, you should have them by the end of Monday at the latest. In other words, if you sent me a check and don't have the book, please send me an email, as it somehow slipped through the cracks. It doesn't happen often, but still want to play it safe with you guys and make sure everyone got what they've paid for so far.

P.S. Thanks a ton to those that did order from me or anywhere else.

I started reading your first book last night and got about half way through it. I noticed you are pretty big on using estrus scents, at least you were at the time you wrote that book. Do you still feel the same way?

I've always been hesitant to use them because many times I'm hunting for any deer, not just for a buck, and I've heard that doe will bolt if they smell the estrus when it's not quite the right time. Have you experienced a negative response from doe or bucks when using estrus?

Steve, I don't subscribe to any hunting mags and we don't have TV so I don't watch any hunting shows. After reading your posts here I picked up all 3 of your books and just finished reading them. Wow, packed with information that will definitely change how I approach things in the future. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences. I know I'll pick up more the 2nd and 3rd time I read them.

bueller, in the right situation, yes, but the situation dictates it for me. I'd say somewhere around half the time I'm hunting the downwind side of doe bedding areas I either have a scent wick, scent drag or juiced mock scrape working for me. The other situation I use it religiously is when using decoys (I've come to always use a standing buck, bedding doe decoy pair when I set out decoys, which is only 2-5 times a season and in very specific situations). Take those 2 situations away and about the only other time I can think of that I use "estrus" scent is when I'm trying to get a buck to stop in a specific location in really tight quarters.

BTW, I know all about the number of captive does it would take to produce the volume of "estrus" scent sold each yr. I also am aware of the research that says you may not be able to bottle specific chemical compounds found in estrus secretions, as their half life is so short. Frankly, all I care about is if it works or not. In my honest opinion, Special Golden Estrus (fair warning, I pro staff for Wildlife Research Center) works a high enough percent for me, in those specific situations, for me not to care what is or isn't in it. All I care is if I believe it helps tilt the odds for me, and I'm completely convinced it does, in those specific situations.

To me, the key is that the buck is already looking for and actively trying to scent an estrus doe. I can't stress that enough, as can be seen by the bolded, italic, underlined text ;) If that buck is actively searching for and desperately trying to find that smell, it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier to convince him your lie is real than when he's not. What's he doing cruising that downwind side of a doe bedding area? 95 out of 100 times, he's actively trying to locate an estrus doe. So, I have good luck with estrus scents there. Put that same scent drag across an alfalfa field, put a scent wick out in the woods, covering a trail between bedding and food or even between doe bedding areas, where he's more focused on getting from point A to point B and the positive responses I get drop like a rock off a cliff.

When it comes to any of these gadgets/gimmicks (scent, decoys, calling, mock scrapes, mock rubs and so on), I never use them because "this situation is setup great for calling/decoying, whatever. I use them because this is the location I believe I need to be in and one of those gadgets/gimmicks would work well here to help me tilt the scale. For example, if I'm hunting the downwind side of a doe bedding area on Halloween and have some feature pinching the downwind cruising to within bow range, I'm not using scent, period. I don't need to, as they're already going to give me a shot if they can smell the stuff anyway.

On the flip side, the stand I took what I is still one of my top 5 bucks from was different. There was nothing to pinch the bucks cruising the downwind side. So, I laid 100-150 yd long scent trail coming in. I shot him with his nose to the ground, grunting, as he followed the scent trail from somewhere out of sight that he picked it up.

All that said, I used scents up until about 4-5 yrs ago more than I do today. Back then, I was still experimenting, trying to find the sweet spots where scents work and don't work best for me. about that log ago, I believed I'd found that sweet spot and have pretty much stuck with that since. They probably play an active rool in 10 out of every 100 sits for me, if that helps quantify it. Also, I do think in general that deer scents are overhyped beyond ridiculousness, but that they can be helpful in specific situations.

I knowingly spooked 1 doe that I can remember with "estrus" scent. She crossed a scent trail on a food plot back in my experimental phase, tucked tail and ran for the woods. I "believe" it was because it was towards the end of the breeding phase, she'd already been bred and she didn't want to be harassed by the swarm of bucks that scent would attract. I could be wrong on all of that, but that was what it looked like to me.

PRK, thanks, bud...Every time I read something like that from hunters like you it makes me feel a bit more confident that I'm at least coming somewhat close to hitting the mark I'm aiming for: providing serious hunters with info they find somewhat useful/valuable. I'm trying to produce stuff that will benefit anyone, but serious hunters are really my target, as I strive to do stuff I'd want to consume/feel has a value, regardless of if it's TV segments, seminars, articles or books. Feedback, both good and bad, from hunters like those on this site are what I use as the gauge to judge what I need to improve on and what I'm doing that is at least somewhat right. I really do view you guys as ultimately being my bosses, as all it takes is for you guys to stop following my stuff and I'm fired.

Steve, thank you for taking time to respond in detail. I've had decent luck when I've used estrus but because I only hunt a dozen or so days each year my sample size is tiny. The stuff you learned in your experimental phase is highly valuable to guys lacking time like me.

Speaking of special golden estrus you may enjoy this story. We were seeing little deer movement this gun season and got 6" of fresh snow after opening weekend. The deer were leaving tracks after dark so I decided to hang a couple special golden estrus wicks. I probably should have but didn't take the wicks down when I left. Two mornings later my buddy is climbing into my stand at first light when a mature buck blew up and out of his bed. The bed was in a thicket in an otherwise open meadow and it was within 25 yards of my stand and both scent wicks with the special golden estrus.

Interesting story and my sincerely my pleasure. I can't promise any hunting technique will work for anyone else. All I can promise is that I believe it works for me, and most of those techniques took many glorious failures to get them refined enough to work. When I started doing things with scent, there was next to no decent info out there on it. So, I messed up a bunch figuring that if scent is sooooooooo invaluable to me fox, coon and mink trapping, there had to be something too it for hunting, as well. I figured out the need to keep applying scent to a drag while approaching a stand by watching an embarrassing number of bucks follow the trail away from my trees, instead of too them. I feel foolish it took me as long as it did to figure out on my own. No doubt others out there had figured it out well before me, but either they weren't talking about it or I wasn't looking in the right places.

Perhaps my most glorious disaster was when I decided that if a little estrus scent was good, saturating the area had to be great. I'd sit up in the stand, spraying estrous every little bit. I mean, if we're talking pure estrus scent here, bombing an area with that scent has to bring in every buck that sniffs it, no matter their frame of mind. I tried it with Spec Golden Estrus and also some estrus doe pea straight from 2 different deer farmers, fresh as it can come. Every time I saw bucks when using that technique, regardless of which source of "estrus" scent I used, they'd hit the odor stream and turn inside out. The only thing I could conclude is that it was just too strong (I'd have sprayed 3-8 ozs of scent by the time I'd see a buck....fine spray with the wind carrying it to dang near everything down wind).

I sure don't pretend to be done learning about anything, including scent. I still mess around with some stuff each season. A couple seasons ago it was using spec golden estrus with this scent preservative type product (the odor is supposed to stay the same intensity for 2 weeks....worked great in mock scrapes), then I tried Nose Jammer, the next it was Ozonics (got a couple free from D&DH TV), I messed around a bunch this season with Ever Calm. If I can get it to work on the well managed ground I then try it on the heavy pressure grounds I hunt.

Plenty of extremely successful hunters won't ever use scent, make a mock scrape, mess around with decoys, do any calling or do anything gimmicky or that involves gadgetry. I understand and respect that. I just enjoy messing around with anything that can elicit a response from a mature buck. It's fun for me and also allows me to chase adding that one more thing that could stack the odds a bit more in my favor in specific situations. That said, I it's my experience that all the gimmicks and gadgets are massively overrated/overhyped. All I'm looking for is that little edge in that one situation I need its help.

I've never been one to use scents much but the last time I used estrous for myself (2008) I was hunting in Iowa and spilled some on my boot by accident. On my way out I had a large buck downwind of my exit route charge me and fortunately I had him turn within 2ft when I threw my bow at him. I plan to pick up the book for some off season reading so I'll be attentive to this section. I haven't stopped using scents because of my incident but because it didn't make a difference in me killing the buck I shot since that time on the high pressure ground I hunt. I know guys in low pressure areas who swear by it but I'm thinking in high pressured areas guys are not using the right approach. Maybe I'll find an application here to use on my home farm or one of the more moderately pressured public places I hunt.

Shawn, you'd want the 2nd book for that. Forgive my horrific memory, but I don't recall covering scents hardly at all, if I even did a little, in the newest book. If I remember right, I covered it a bit in my first (stand hunting) and then did a full chapter on it in my second (bowhunting tactics). The 3rd (big buck secrets) is more on using deer behaviors and overall strategies to your advantage. you'll likely be extremely disappointed if you buy that one for scent type strategies.

P.S. Everything in low pressure settings work better than in higher pressure settings. That's why I use the approach I do in trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. If I stumble across something that I think may have some merit (be it one of my own brain children or something I pick up from someone else), I first try it on the low pressure grounds I hunt. If it doesn't work well there, it's pretty much a guarantee it WON'T work on real world type grounds, and I have a lot more room for error on the low pressured grounds. So, messing up a hunt or two is far from the kiss of death it can be on the real world ground.

If it does work well on low pressure, I then start using it on the higher pressure ground. If it works there, too, I start believing I may be on to something good. That said, at least half the stuff that seems like a slam dunk winner when hunting utopia becomes a glorious disaster on real world settings.

Perfect example. For me, blind calling in utopia, I go big or don't bother. I start with a couple of doe calls, then a series of rapid grunts (estrous doe, buck found her and is on her trail). I'll then snort wheeze twice (another buck has appeared and wants the girl). After spending 30-60 seconds scanning for an approaching buck, I pick up the rattling antlers and crash them together as hard as I can (they're fighting over the girl....better come in fast and steal her while you can). I keep that going for 60ish seconds, head on a swivel the entire time. As soon as I'm done, I grab my bow and wait another 60-90 seconds. If nothing is coming, I do another doe call or two and then follow that with 4-5 grunts again 9the doe is still here, the winner is back on her, but he is also weak from fighting and it's not too late to steal her).

I have had by far the most success using that method of blind calling when hunting utopia. When I try scaling it down, I get pitifully few if any positive results. Going all out, I've blind called in several of the biggest bucks I've ever seen while hunting.

Now, take that exact same approach and try to apply it to more real world hunting pressure situations. Without fail, they have been glorious disasters for me. In fact, I'd have been every bit as successful jumping up and down in my stand, waving my arms and screaming "COME HERE DEER SO I CAN KILL YOU," at the top of my lungs...And I don't think doing that would have hurt one bit more than all those failed, balls to the wall calling attempts I've done in those settings. In fact, I no longer ever do any blind calling or rattling in real world situations. The only time I'll try is when I see a buck that is out of range and showing every indication he won't be coming in. If it's the last little bit of light and there is no time for him to eventually circle back, I'll give it a shot, as I feel I have nothing left to lose...It's never worked out as a kill for me, in real world settings, though...ever.

I've still had pretty good luck blind calling in these areas but my 95% of my success has been limited to calling midweek when less hunters are around or have yet to take vacation.

Just finished your first book Steve. Lots of good information and very easy to read. I will be passing it down to my buddies who I've recruited into the world of deer hunting in recent years. My favorite quote is from the chapter on stand adjustments:

"Dig a little deeper, and you'll find that consistently lucky hunters make their own luck. One of the ways they do it is by realizing when an adjustment needs to be made and then taking the initiative to make it."

I feel that this if one of the major things that differentiates me from the rest of my hunting group, although I sometimes still make the mistake of waiting to long before making needed adjustments.

Shawn, that's a perfect example of different things working better for different people. Toss out 1.5 yr olds, as they don't count in my book, and I've never blind called in a buck in what I consider real world situations, and I've tried it a bunch. You have success doing it, so keep on doing it and don't let anyone, including me, convince you not to. Ultimately, it either works for someone or it doesn't. That works very well for me on utopia (the more I think of it, I'd saw I've blind called in close to half of the biggest bucks I've ever seen while hunting), but is a glorious disaster for me on grounds with significant hunting pressure. Heck, the last public land buck I shot (2012) was going directly away from someone rattling in the distance and sure appeared to be in "I'm sneaking away from that" mode, when I shot him.

Thanks, bueller. I've moved stands the last day of season to kill a doe before. Heck, in a couple of days, I'll be shifting a couple around, hoping to get a crack at a buck I want yet this season, and I'll only be hunting a couple more days. I'm not saying people should constantly be moving stands, as that's not good either. However, when you know you need a break to kill a buck out of the stand location, but can make that break simply by shifting it 50-100 yds, I go for making that break myself in many situations, unless the stand is there because it offers such lower impact at that location.