All Things Cider

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
I am interested in creating a small apple orchard on my farm next year for cider and eating (about 1+ acres). For starters, I am looking for assistance with what variety of apples I should purchase for making cider?

My property is in Jackson County, WI (zone 4), the soil is a mix of dirt and sand (certain areas have a high percentage of sand). I live 2 hours away, so I thought the B118 root stock would probably be the best viable option for soil type and limited care I will be able to provide. I purchased Claude Jolicoeur's book, The New Cider Maker's Handbook and have identified the following as possible varieties for cider making:

Ashmead's Kernel
Belle de Boskoop
Yarlington Mill
Golden Russet
Roxbury Russet
Hewe's crab
Honey Gold
Liberty
Empire

What do you suggest? Your thoughts please! I will probably limit my first year planting to about 30 trees (since I will be planting mostly by myself). I am hoping to place my 2015 order next month. More questions to follow...

Thank you!

I personally would cut that order in half. It takes lots of time and work to plant these trees correctly. And with that time, effort, and money invested 15 trees properly planted and cared for will yield more better results than 30 trees half a$$ed for lack of a better term.

I personally would cut that order in half. It takes lots of time and work to plant these trees correctly. And with that time, effort, and money invested 15 trees properly planted and cared for will yield more better results than 30 trees half a$$ed for lack of a better term.

Hello Bueller, I already have three 150 ft. rolls of concrete wire and a 300 ft. roll of Lumite for ground cover purchased. Not planning on doing a half a$$ planting. I will prep the site, so I don't think 30 is going to be difficult - I'm sure I will be able to recruit the wife and son..:D

Having all the cages cut prior to taking delivery of the trees would help immensely whatever amount of trees you are planting. Maybe order from 2 or 3 sources to spread the delivery/planting dates a bit?

Having all the cages cut prior to taking delivery of the trees would help immensely whatever amount of trees you are planting. Maybe order from 2 or 3 sources to spread the delivery/planting dates a bit?

One reason I would like to go with a higher number is to get a better price per tree. I may drop the order to 20 - 25. I'm tempted to see if others in the area (Madison or near Black River Falls) would be interested in a group order from Cummins.

Thanks!

Get the lumite cut too. If you're adding soil amendments to the planting holes, have those closely laid out too. Sandy soil makes digging the holes much easier than when digging in gravel/glacial till/clay.

I agree - pushing in all the staples gets to be a pain too! I learned from CrazyEd prior posting, and purchased bags of topsoil and manure from Menards for last year's plantings - much easier to haul with ATV to planting site.

If I lived up there I would be in for a group buy, but being 3 hours away with an unpredictable work schedule does not lend itself to planning things out very well.

I wouldn't worry about the effort required to plant 30+ trees, especially if you've done your prep work. I've planted over 30 apple trees in a weekend working alone. Than includes planting, mulching, fencing, staking and watering, planted in rocky clay. You may be a little sore afterwards but its not that bad.

I am at the point where about 10 or 12 apple trees is enough for me. I carry everything by back-no ATV. I've got a lawnmower and cart if I can get it started.

I am interested in creating a small apple orchard on my farm next year for cider and eating (about 1+ acres). For starters, I am looking for assistance with what variety of apples I should purchase for making cider?

My property is in Jackson County, WI (zone 4), the soil is a mix of dirt and sand (certain areas have a high percentage of sand). I live 2 hours away, so I thought the B118 root stock would probably be the best viable option for soil type and limited care I will be able to provide. I purchased Claude Jolicoeur's book, The New Cider Maker's Handbook and have identified the following as possible varieties for cider making:

Ashmead's Kernel
Belle de Boskoop
Yarlington Mill
Golden Russet
Roxbury Russet
Hewe's crab
Honey Gold
Liberty
Empire

What do you suggest? Your thoughts please! I will probably limit my first year planting to about 30 trees (since I will be planting mostly by myself). I am hoping to place my 2015 order next month. More questions to follow...

Thank you!

Chisel Jersey, Grimes Golden, Cox's Orange Pippin, Kingston Black, Medaille Dor, Black Oxford, Cortland, Brown Snout. I also bought the book and I just planted 50 trees but chose dwarf rootstocks since these are for cider not deer. I grafted Belle de Boskoop, Yarlington Mill, Golden and Roxbury Russet and already have Honeygold.

I don't think it takes a lot of time to plant that many trees also. My brother andd I planted 50 trees in one day but I already had the cages cut and the screens cut as well but with an auger we knocked it out in no time. I don't week protect or gravel and use a simple wooden stake to secure fencing If that is half a$$ed its working very well so 2nd hand I would go for the 30 trees even if it takes 2 days

I don't think it takes a lot of time to plant that many trees also. My brother andd I planted 50 trees in one day but I already had the cages cut and the screens cut as well but with an auger we knocked it out in no time. I don't week protect or gravel and use a simple wooden stake to secure fencing If that is half a$$ed its working very well so 2nd hand I would go for the 30 trees even if it takes 2 days

Not half a$$ed...that's working smart!

Thanks George and I am still trying to decide on the trellis system for my G.11 rootstocks

I would be interested in considering a different root stock other than B118, but I'm not sure what I should consider. The area where I am planting will be a mix of sand and dirt. As mentioned earlier, I don't live on site and normally drive up every other weekend, so watering is somewhat limited.

Any suggestions for root stock? Many thanks!!

I think this is a question for Maya to answer. He will know which rootstock is best

Chisel Jersey, Grimes Golden, Cox's Orange Pippin, Kingston Black, Medaille Dor, Black Oxford, Cortland, Brown Snout. I also bought the book and I just planted 50 trees but chose dwarf rootstocks since these are for cider not deer. I grafted Belle de Boskoop, Yarlington Mill, Golden and Roxbury Russet and already have Honeygold.

Aerospacefarmer, Thanks for the comments and information! ;)... What type of root stock did you use for your grafts? That's a real nice press in your avatar, where did you purchase it from?

Many Thanks!!

Just to look at this from another angle. What size, do you want to have something with a permanent support system, will you be able to permanently fence? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if you would want to go smaller. If it were me, and these were for me I would always go smaller, but you need to fence and build a good support system. Mid sized, M-26, m7, g30 would fit the bill, they should be staked for at least 4 years if not more for 26 and G30, and if you block fence you can start scaffolds low for ease of training, pruning and picking. Also dwarf trees could be good for you too, but they really need a good support system. B9, G11 or 16 would fit that bill. Other than for deer, I'd never grow on B118, m111 or standard for myself.

Keep in mind a sandy loam is ideal for apples, so I'm not sure how "sandy" you believe the soil is. Obviously real sandy is tough on them, but a good sandy loam and several rootstocks would be acceptable.

Last edited:
I used G.11 for my grafts because that is what Cummins had in stock when I stopped by there in March. I didnr want to wait for something else but it seems from all I read that it's supposed to be a great rootstock but it needs permanent support which I will do. My press is from Happy Valley Ranch and they were awesome to deal with. They are out of Kansas and so,e assembly required (yikes). Supposed to have 2 people cause it's a bit heavy but of course I didn't lol

Here is their website. http://www.happyvalleyranch.com

Paul

I used G.11 for my grafts because that is what Cummins had in stock when I stopped by there in March. I didnr want to wait for something else but it seems from all I read that it's supposed to be a great rootstock but it needs permanent support which I will do. My press is from Happy Valley Ranch and they were awesome to deal with. They are out of Kansas and so,e assembly required (yikes). Supposed to have 2 people cause it's a bit heavy but of course I didn't lol

Here is their website. http://www.happyvalleyranch.com

Paul

Paul, Thanks for the link, I will check them out. My 12 year old son is really interested in making cider, not sure now interested he will be when it comes time to help plant the trees..:D. I haven't grafted before, took a class a few weeks ago and will be receiving 10 root stocks (B118) this week from Cummins. I purchases a few scions from Fedco which I have been storing in the frig.
As mentioned earlier, I would be interested in identifying a more faster producing root stock that would be hardy for my zone, soil, and care limitations. Last week I contacted a apple orchard in the area to ask about root stock, their soil type was much more clay like than mine so I was not able to learn much that helped me.
Thanks,
Jeff