Aberlasting Clover

Mike O

A good 3 year old buck
What can you guys tell me about Aberlasting clover. Is it slow to establish like Kura? Considering a mix with other white clovers like Rennovation or Jumbo II but want to be sure it can hold its own during establishment year.

I have no experience with this variety of clover

I do know that its aberlasting expensive

bill

I planted quite a bit of it this year but I always plant it in a mix. I shoot for 10%.

I like the idea of it in spots I spray and bag seed- places I can mow but not run my seeder through. No idea if it works though. I had some Kura in a spot I planted years ago that was mostly un-maintained for a lot of years and it was still there this year when I cleaned that spot up.

I have had good experience with it from a persistence and attractiveness standpoint. Seemed to establish as quickly as other clovers. The severe drought we had this summer fall really knocked it back but not anymore (probably less) than other clover varieties. Would definitely plant again, and I include it in all my clover mixes.

It’s my go to right now, but like others said it was so dry this year really hard to tell on it. I did add some more this fall but not a ton, we will see what comes back.

I do have some buds that swear by it over the past few years.

Last edited:
omicron, what did you mix it with? I have been really impressed with Rennovation and Legacy and usually throw in some Jumbo II.

omicron, what did you mix it with? I have been really impressed with Rennovation and Legacy and usually throw in some Jumbo II.
A little whitetail institute and regalgraze, plus a few annuals. They did awesome for spring, just didn’t survive the brutal hot and dry summer. Not sure any clover could have. Added more chicory and trying some white and yellow sweet clover too

IMG_0626.jpeg

We will see how it does this year. I used some Rennovation too. Here in Deep South I use annuals mostly, I just have about 3 acres I’m always trying to do a perennial clover plot with. In most plots I use a couple of pounds of a perennial white, then crimson, fixation balansa and arrowleaf. I did throw in a little Persian this year.

I did not realize you were in the south. Here in Michigan we get enough rainfall that growing white clover is pretty easy. I generally plant in the late summer so that the clover will be well established by the hottest part of the following summer. Have a plot of Rennovation and legacy behind the house thats on its 4th year.

I did not realize you were in the south. Here in Michigan we get enough rainfall that growing white clover is pretty easy. I generally plant in the late summer so that the clover will be well established by the hottest part of the following summer. Have a plot of Rennovation and legacy behind the house thats on its 4th year.
Yep. We all have the same goals but us southern boys have different issues than y’all, mainly lack of year round clover and poisonous snakes!

I am jealous if y’all being able to do one crop rotation and not two. But y’all can keep the snow!

How tall does the Aberlasting get? Low growing or similar to Ladino? Also how big are the leaves compared to say Rennovation or Alice?

If it’s like Kura it’s low growing. My Kura always looked like a golf course green- but it was always in “hidey hole” locations so maybe it WAS getting grazed low.

I never truly know what does well in my plantings because I always plant a mix and I can’t tell one variety of wc from another.

How tall does the Aberlasting get? Low growing or similar to Ladino? Also how big are the leaves compared to say Rennovation or Alice?

It has become my all time favorite. It gets plenty tall like Alice and is much better in all ways. All I got to say. Planted 20 acres of it two years ago and very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk