Berseem, Balsana, Arrowleaf clover

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Thinking of buying 2 out three this year. Avoiding white dutch, which I bought for years.

I have the base clover mix of ladino and medium red. Want to add a 3rd seed to the regular blend. One for my home area, heavy soil, poor drainage, low 6's pH. Then another for the adirondacks Sandy soil, usually well drained, except for early season with frostlines. pH can be 5's t low 6's depending where it lands.

Thinking Balsana for the heavy clay.

Seen berseem and arrowleaf are both good for sandy soils. lower pH tolerance might the winner between the two.

Alsike might be a good one for your heavy clay.

Not sure where i heard it....but it was in the last week...berseem is not one for deer.

Have heard many good things about Aberlasting

Not sure where i heard it....but it was in the last week...berseem is not one for deer.

Have heard many good things about Aberlasting
Berseem is a great annual that deer love here in the south.

Berseem is a great annual that deer love here in the south.
Whatever it was singled it out, and trashed it. (maybe a Jeff S deal?) I dont think it was a dream, nor do i have issues with it.

I hear Aslike clover isnt good for horse, so I have been weary of using it. I may have used these covers already. I do buy mixed clovers like imperial, plotspike, and now domain.

I thought berseem and balansa are frequently looked at as tops for browse preference.

Berseem doesn't handle cold worth a crap (even frosty) and balansa doesn't frost seed worth a crap. Both are annuals. Maybe that's why someone said one of them isn't good for deer?

How i've used them: Frosty Berseem if spring planting or frost seeding because its not going to make it through a zone 3/4 winter. Fixation balansa in fall seed blends (also not the heartiest for winter but has a chance at least). Don't know a thing about Arrrowleaf.

Arrowleaf is a stemmy robust clover. I cleared off a spot for a foodplot in an old pasture area and arrowleaf just came in. I dont see a whole lot of browsing on it until summer. It will die back in august. My does love it for fawning. It has persisted for 15 years but has about played out. It is in a food plot of heavy red clay

Maybe the neighbor that doesn't want your food plot to compete with his?

IF I recall berseem is the reason folks love imperial whitetail clover. Maybe ti grows quick, maybe the deer just dont touch it and it gets big without pressure.

I was at tractor supply needing some variety for my home foodplot before last weeks snowstorm. Was hoping to see 4lbs of plotspike clover, but they had imperial whitetail and that domain clover blend. Almost got the imperial for $40. Think why I like it so much is that alex berseem clover, whch it 1/2 of the seed in there. 32% berseem, 22% insight ladino and 10% excel ladino. Been doing this for well over a decade, ladino doesn't grow that quick. It's the berseem that catches the deerhunter's eye.