Alfalfa in Clover mix ?

Mike O

A good 3 year old buck
Have had great success with white clover blends in the past but no experience with Alfalfa. Since my plots are at camp (far away) I can only mow them twice a summer. Will Alfalfa get too long and smother itself if only mowed twice a summer? Secondly it sounds like alfalfa is slower to establish than white clover, will the alfalfa just get choked out by the clover? Was considering mixing some Falcata in with aberlasting white clover for a mix.

I’ve got a short growing season, but mine never got out of hand. I mowed it once. Still in perfect shape for the big chow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the right soil and climate for alfalfa? In my head clovers are for places where alfalfa won't grow.

Our camp has grown a red clover / alfalfa mix for several years now. They've grown well together, but the soil should be well-drained, have a pH of about 6.3 to 6.5, and get lots of sun. Not all locations on our property are good for alfalfa. We have a couple fields that fit the description I mentioned. Our deer keep it in check - no need to mow. It's been the favorite food plot for our deer, based on numbers of deer in it eating. (cams tell the tale). We planted this mix around Labor Day to give the seedlings a chance to get established before cold weather. The following year, it went crazy growing. Soil test first.

Our camp is near the zone 6 & 5 border on a mountain top. It was an old farmstead, with existing, cultivated fields. FWIW.

I believe the consensus opinion amongst plotters is that the clover will eventually overtake the alfalfa. IMO, not really a benefit to mixing them as Alfalfa will be attractive for almost the same amount of time clover is and is generally more attractive until the frosts come. Even in the dead of winter my deer will hit the alfalfa plot after gorging on corn or beans. It does pair well with chicory. Get your PH and soil right and consider a grazing variety of alfalfa or one with the right disease resistance.
You may need to spray it the first year so if you want to spend the money for round up ready seed it could be worth it. I use clethodim for the grasses and the alfalfa chokes out most weeds. I mow 2-3 times per year. I am always concerned that the cut alfalfa is going to smother the stand out, but it always comes back.

I believe the consensus opinion amongst plotters is that the clover will eventually overtake the alfalfa. IMO, not really a benefit to mixing them as Alfalfa will be attractive for almost the same amount of time clover is and is generally more attractive until the frosts come. Even in the dead of winter my deer will hit the alfalfa plot after gorging on corn or beans. It does pair well with chicory. Get your PH and soil right and consider a grazing variety of alfalfa or one with the right disease resistance.
You may need to spray it the first year so if you want to spend the money for round up ready seed it could be worth it. I use clethodim for the grasses and the alfalfa chokes out most weeds. I mow 2-3 times per year. I am always concerned that the cut alfalfa is going to smother the stand out, but it always comes back.
You're right - the clover does eventually take over the plot. But for about 3 or 4 years, it's been a great plot mix for us.

I would go for it. Suggest a grazing variety alfalfa, rather than haying alfalfa.

If you've got alfalfa established in your clover plots, it can really shine in dry years, as the alfalfa is deeper-rooted.

FarmerDan is right. Clover you throw and it grows. Alfalfa is a crop and def takes some babying. Not really what most here are going for.