A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

How old is that group of trees?

The oldest ones are 12 or maybe 13. I've kind of lost track. Over the years I've added some each year and did lots of replacements in the early years.

I keep adding a few fruit trees each year.

The oldest ones are 12 or maybe 13. I've kind of lost track. Over the years I've added some each year and did lots of replacements in the early years.

I keep adding a few fruit trees each year.
A longer growing season is something I do wish I had. I'd guess that if we planted the same tree/shrub from the same bundle that yours would be twice as big at 5, 10, 20 years...

What kind of mulberry trees are those nh? They look really big for the red one's around here.

What kind of mulberry trees are those nh? They look really big for the red one's around here.

Merle, that is a grafted mulberry called Illinois Everbearing. It's a cross between white and red. The fruit is large, and the taste of those are fantastic.

That cultivar is known for ripening over a long period of time. As you can see, many are green while several are ripe. That will go on for weeks and weeks before they all finally ripen.

But get the double barrel out and let the birds know who is boss....:D

You're killing me Native !!! I've wanted to plant several of the IE mulberries at camp, but we'd never get one to eat between bears and birds. Maybe I'll plant one at home and put up with the purple stains on things. They sure look tasty !! I can smell a pie made from those !!!:)

You're killing me Native !!! I've wanted to plant several of the IE mulberries at camp, but we'd never get one to eat between bears and birds. Maybe I'll plant one at home and put up with the purple stains on things. They sure look tasty !! I can smell a pie made from those !!!:)

I'm so glad we have no bears. I can only imagine what a mulberry tree would look like after one got through with it.

Yes, you need one at home. The taste outweighs the stains.:)

Merle, that is a grafted mulberry called Illinois Everbearing. It's a cross between white and red. The fruit is large, and the taste of those are fantastic.

That cultivar is known for ripening over a long period of time. As you can see, many are green while several are ripe. That will go on for weeks and weeks before they all finally ripen.

But get the double barrel out and let the birds know who is boss....:D
They are on my list of things to add for sure now!

I thought it was interesting how the deer have cleaned up every wheat head on the place but haven't touched the oat heads or the triticale heads. Once they started eating these they were gone in about a week. Nothing but stems left.

62FECEA7-9944-4F4B-8621-1153ACC23853_zpswuz8r505.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had to rope off some of the younger pear trees this year to keep them from breaking. Still a lot of growing to do so don't know. May have to thin more. It's a good problem to have since we are in a drought. I'm already watering trees set this spring.

Good deal on roping your pears. I had a huge crop last year and sustained major tree damage because I was not up there to thin them. This year there are very few pears, I think because of the stress from last year.

I'll be glad when my pears start producing got an where that refuses to do anything but grow.

Looking good!

Thought you guys might like some updated fruit pics. Hope you enjoy.

Moonglow Pear

Summer Champion Apple

Myers Royal Limbertwig

Brushy Mountain Limbertwig

Betsey Deaton

Liberty

Summer Granny

Ayers Pear

American Summer Pearmain

Can't Remember

Old Fashioned LT

Yates

Hope you enjoy these!

Love the fruit tree pics hope ours look that good someday!

I think Dan Wombles recommends Yates for a deer apple. When do yours drop, Native ?? Easy tree to grow ?? Great pix too !!

I think Dan Wombles recommends Yates for a deer apple. When do yours drop, Native ?? Easy tree to grow ?? Great pix too !!

Very easy tree to grow with minimal leaf spotting and only minor FB. This is first year with a significant crop. Supposed to drop early November but the first small crop last year seemed to drop earlier. Tree probably has 50 apples this year and I will watch closer and report back.

Last edited:
The Fruit is just looking awesome, Native!

Native...Just getting accustomed to checking out threads on this site and trying to summon up enough mental prowess to start one myself over here. Glad to see so many of the regular guys I shared with on the QDMA site over here and looking forward to getting to know new guys I'm not familiar with. Your fruit trees are off the charts! Heading to farm tomorrow to check out dozer and excavator work that's been going on since last Thursday. Hope to begin my own thread when I get back.

Native...Just getting accustomed to checking out threads on this site and trying to summon up enough mental prowess to start one myself over here. Glad to see so many of the regular guys I shared with on the QDMA site over here and looking forward to getting to know new guys I'm not familiar with. Your fruit trees are off the charts! Heading to farm tomorrow to check out dozer and excavator work that's been going on since last Thursday. Hope to begin my own thread when I get back.

Thanks TC and looking forward to seeing you post here. It will just take us all time to adjust to how things have changed recently.

The Fruit is just looking awesome, Native!

Thanks! We live in a place where it seems easy to grow pears and hard to grow apples. Getting the right varieties makes all the difference.

Looks like you got a head start over here NH. Looking good, glad you are here.

(Formerly Stickbowcrafter, shortened & changed to my lifelong nickname)