A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Hopefully Native. We have a ways to go to get some deer ( bucks ) like you have wandering around !! But all the work (play) is fun and we have a good time busting each others' stones while doing it !! Makes it all good.

Hopefully Native. We have a ways to go to get some deer ( bucks ) like you have wandering around !! But all the work (play) is fun and we have a good time busting each others' stones while doing it !! Makes it all good.

Well, I started about 6 years ago with fescue fields, woods as open as a park, a small tree planting just beginning to provide a little cover, and no deer. You are already WAY ahead of that, and I bet you just continue to see things get better and better.

I thought I would give an update on the plots. It was 22 days ago that I planted, and it has been very dry. We were already dry before I planted. It rained 3 days after I planted so most everything germinated, but it has been bone dry since that time.

The plots in the low places don't seem to be suffering much yet. I don't know how they have grown this much with so little rain, but I guess the low area and the morning dews are helping. First pic below is one of the best looking places by the old barn.

This next pic is the same plot but the ground is just a little higher, and I'm sure the big bluestem nearby is sucking some of the water. It's not as good here but still not suffering too much. I also noticed that not much clover or cereal grains had come up here - mostly brassicas, peas and chicory.

Yesterday I mowed shooting lanes for the fall. This is the last time this year I will be in the fields. In the pic below you can see one of the roads I mowed and also a plot next to the woods. This is on high ground. Look at how just outside the woods in the hot sun the dirt is so visible, but back in the woods a little you can see some green.

I found a wild strawberry bush yesterday that I had never seen before. I think the only reason it hadn't been browsed was because it came up near the road. I've walked by this a couple of times this year and hadn't even noticed it.

Here are a few more pics from yesterday. I love how the fields look at this time of year. Indian Grass just bolted and flowered last week. Hope you enjoy these. Hoping rain comes soon for the new plots.

I'll be darned. I didn't notice it until I posted this picture, but look above the tree line to the left of the barn in the first pic - another UFO. I'm packing heat - I won't be taken up without a fight....:D

Aliens are known to look for the really strange ones to take into the mothership. What's this telling us with the UFO hovering over your barn, Native ??? :eek: :D

Aliens are known to look for the really strange ones to take into the mothership. What's this telling us with the UFO hovering over your barn, Native ??? :eek: :D

Maybe they've been talking to my wife....

Those last 3 pics just make me want to sneeze, NH, LOL! Yeah I'm that guy.......

I think MY wife has a dish antenna BEGGING for my abduction !!! She says I'm weird ............... I take that as a compliment:cool:

What kinds of brassicas do you have in those plots, Native ?? It looks like some turnips and maybe radishes of some kind ??

What kinds of brassicas do you have in those plots, Native ?? It looks like some turnips and maybe radishes of some kind ??

It's both turnips and radishes, and I'm afraid at this spot I got them a little thicker than I wanted them. My intentions were to just have a light dusting of brassicas with the plot being mostly peas and grains for the winter with the clover coming on next spring. There are lots of peas in this too, so some of the broadleads you are seeing are those. I can buy brassicas by the "scoop" at a local place, and I may have "scooped" a little deep.:)

Oh yea, almost forgot - there is some chicory in that too, and I did see some of it coming up....

I will try to get some better pics soon. When I took that it looked fine on the phone but blurry when I looked at it on the computer. Happens to me all the time....

Last edited:
I had to run by the place today and snapped some pictures that weren't so blurry. No UFOS this time LOL.

New plots: Chicory, clover, peas, grains, and brassicas. Brassicas not too thick here - more of what I wanted.

And, I don't need fertilizer here. That helps with the old bank account.

Drier spot. Not much clover germinated here yet.

The big picture:

Plot put in last year. You can barely see some of the new in the distance:

Still needing rain in the high spots!!

I got to thinking this morning it had been way too long since I updated this habitat thread. Hopefully will do a better job now. I got busy last winter and didn't have much time for anything for a long time, but things have slowed down a little recently. I will add some pictures to this thread soon. I almost couldn't find it.:)

I got to thinking this morning it had been way too long since I updated this habitat thread. Hopefully will do a better job now. I got busy last winter and didn't have much time for anything for a long time, but things have slowed down a little recently. I will add some pictures to this thread soon. I almost couldn't find it.:)
I look forward to seeing your updates Steve. I have been on a hyadus for awhile due to a busy life. Did some spring food plot prep and got me wondering how you guys were doing! Always look forward to your farm and trail cam pics! Hope all is well
Jordan

So now we need pics of Natives awesome property and pics of Jordan's new house. :).

Maybe it's the UFO's that are causing those pics to be blurry!:eek: In that first pic with the old leaves in the clover, that poor little pea plant sticks out like a sore thumb with the "blueish" color and the tendrils and all.

I look forward to seeing your updates Steve. I have been on a hyadus for awhile due to a busy life. Did some spring food plot prep and got me wondering how you guys were doing! Always look forward to your farm and trail cam pics! Hope all is well
Jordan

So good to hear from you Jordan. With all that you have going on I'm surprised you have much time for anything. The youngsters will keep you in a tailspin + add work and a new house and you need to be an Olympic athlete!!!!

Maybe it's the UFO's that are causing those pics to be blurry!:eek: In that first pic with the old leaves in the clover, that poor little pea plant sticks out like a sore thumb with the "blueish" color and the tendrils and all.

We do have too many UFOs in these parts.:)

One good thing about a habit thread is that it helps you remember. I had forgot about adding some peas to that mix. They disappeared so quickly.

So now we need pics of Natives awesome property and pics of Jordan's new house. :).

I'm looking forward to catching up on his house building too.

I'm going to post a few pics this morning. Some of these have already been posted in some other random threads and some are new ones.

We had a discussion earlier in the year about the natural vertical growth of pears. The one below is so loaded it doesn't look vertical anymore. And still a lot of growth yet to come for the pears.

This will be my first ripe apple this year - a little over a month away from maturity.

This apple is Priscilla. Look at those glossy leaves, and even though other trees around her had some FB and CAR, she is still spotless.

This is Terry Winter. Ripens in November. Also a very DR tree.

Betsy Deaton. Some leaf spotting but on her way to a good crop.

This is an apple in the tree planting I lost the tag on. First time bearing and has fine looking apples. Can't wait to try and figure out what it is.

Yellow ribbon means female persimmons. I need to cage these soon.

My first crop of white mulberry.

Nice pear loaded.