All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

That's a big cedar !! Looks like you have some good " left-overs " for next year too. Bucks like to rub white pine there? We have loads of W.P. but bucks seldom rub them here. They'll rub pitch pine, hemlock, and spruce in the evergreen category, maple, aspen, witch hazel, sumac, birch in the deciduous category. At least it looks like your W.P. survived the attack. Good luck with the planting / woods work Native.

Pretty bucks! Those white pines are growing great! I too hope to start planting some norways an whites in my oak hardwoods

I'm starting to have some second thoughts about what I originally envisioned for my 12 acre tree planting. Originally I thought at some point I would just quit mowing rows and let everything go at some point - except for the first two rows which contain fruit and nut trees.

Now, I'm looking at this differently. I've had many conifers to survive randomly throughout the planting - mostly white pines I planted and red cedars that have volunteered. The cedars would eventually die from shading under my original plan. The pines would survive but lose most of their lower limbs. Now, I think that going through randomly (not in rows) with a bushhog every few years and creating space around the conifers to keep them thick and green at the bottoms would make the best habitat. I would still have many oaks and other trees in patches where no conifers were growing, but open up only around the good conifers as necessary. This would also allow briers and forbs to keep growing near them and goldenrods would provide dense cover near them.

I guess in a round about way, what I am envisioning could be called somewhat of a "savanna ecosystem" but modified somewhat. I'm thinking patches of oaks, etc just like a regular forest with random conifer spaces in between with some open ground giving a little separation. Adding a few more Norways should improve this even more. Share your thoughts on this if you have any opinions.

Just going on what I've seen here over the years with spruce and pines planted in rows and some planted in random clusters, I think deer prefer having some small openings between the evergreens. Whether it's rows of forbs, goldenrod, briars, etc., or random spaces as if the trees grew there naturally, I've seen more deer use WITH some openings grown wild into weeds, goldenrod, etc. There's a camp near mine that has solid spruce planted tight to each other. They've been there for about 30 yrs. and the ground is bare under them - only needles - and deer only seem to use that area when there's a heck of a snow for the overhead shelter. The spruce are so tight they self-prune their lower limbs and the deer only pass thru them, it's too open for good windbreak. On our cabin ground and a few other camps near ours, they spaced the spruce or pines out more to allow for weeds and briars to grow in between and the deer are in them like rabbits. I think it has to do with sight and having some sort of opening to blow out of there if they feel the need. I've seen deer tuck themselves in under spruce limbs looking out into weedy, brushy stuff in small openings on our camp's ground. Another member and I were pushing slowly thru one of those areas and we both got to 6 ft. away before deer busted out from under spruce limbs and zig-zagged their way thru the openings to safety. It was like hunting rabbits - you almost had to step on them. ( that area has some birches that volunteered as well as witch hazel in among the spruces besides the weedy stuff. ) FWIW !!

What-your ground doesn't freeze! That's easy street having all that time to transplant trees.

Hey dipper - 9 inches of snow on the ground today and 14 forecasted. 10 below zero forecasted for Wednesday night. Easy Street has a few curves here and there.:D

It's been a while since I posted here and thought I would post some pics taken today and recently.

Starting to see some nubs showing:

Don't think I recognize this one from last year. Body looks mature:

Hunter out late night:

Service berry in bloom:

Wild bush:

This is what I hate about wild cherry:

Clover starting its third year:

Mineral lick being worked hard right now, I dropped a new trace mineral block on it today.

Fruit set looks good this year:

Kieffer set last year looks healthy:

Norway Spruce starting its third year:

Third year red clover plot. The other side has more grass. Need to spray cleth soon.

Still waiting on paw paw. Hope this is the year.

This gets mowed soon.

Thanks, and I should have more pics later on......

Greeat pics! I'ts amazing that your habitat is that far ahead of us. Bucks with nubs already

Greeat pics! I'ts amazing that your habitat is that far ahead of us. Bucks with nubs already

Thanks, and it was just a few days ago I saw some still carrying antlers.

How long ago did you plant those white pines that you have for the screen on post 124 by the highline poles?

How long ago did you plant those white pines that you have for the screen on post 124 by the highline poles?

I think 11 years ago give or take a year. These screen from a road. The ones in the back didn't thrive as well. I've been working on that lately.

That's impressive for 11 years. If I got mine half that height in that time I would be tickled. I've always thought White Pines to be a pretty tree. I've got a few coming this spring in a larger pb45 size so hopefully they will take off. I am planting around cabin where deer shouldn't roam frequently so I expect good results.

Thanks for the tour and pics

That's impressive for 11 years. If I got mine half that height in that time I would be tickled. I've always thought White Pines to be a pretty tree. I've got a few coming this spring in a larger pb45 size so hopefully they will take off. I am planting around cabin where deer shouldn't roam frequently so I expect good results.

Thanks for the tour and pics

nwmn, I looked back at my records today and those were planted in the spring of 2006. So, I was off a little - this spring would be 9 years. Today I took a stroll out in the middle of the planting walking behind my DR Mower and was happy to find lots more white pines that have survived. They were about half the size of the ones out by the road. Basically, the ones that have lots of briers around them are the ones that made it. The ones that didn't have briers got rubbed and killed.

It's kind of ironic - the briers slowed the growth of the trees, but they also kept them from getting killed. The tops of them are well above the briers, so they are home free now, but will just be a little slower reaching maturity. I have a bunch of 3 year old Norway coming, and my plans are to fill a bunch of empty holes with them out in the planting.

Get a load of some of the oaks that I found today, which were planted at the same time as the pines. These have done this on what we consider poor ground, but the soil moisture is very good at this spot.

This land is sweet gum hell.... Look below at the sweet gums that were mowed last year and grew this much in one season after being mowed at the edge of the planting.

The one thing I did wrong was planted too many yellow poplar. I was thinking future timber value more than wildlife value back then. A few would not be bad, but most of them lived and now I have too many. So, another job will be thinning any yellow poplar that may shade out oaks or conifers.

There are two rows of YP out in the middle that I will just forget about and let them grow. They are surrounded by oaks and conifers, so I guess it will be okay.

I can't get through most of my planting now with a tractor and bushhog, so over the next few years in the springtime, I will just walk behind the DR with my chainsaw and knock back any undesirable that is threatening good trees. Sounds like work, but its work I enjoy, and at some point I will just back completely out and let mother nature take care of the rest.

Here are a few more random pics from today:

That's nice! I love going back and checking on the growth like you are talking. I only do that in early spring on a lot of mine because I'm a scardy cat about snakes.lol. I keep some cleaned around, but just let about half of mine to do their own without any help from me

That's nice! I love going back and checking on the growth like you are talking. I only do that in early spring on a lot of mine because I'm a scardy cat about snakes.lol. I keep some cleaned around, but just let about half of mine to do their own without any help from me

Thanks! Yep, its getting close to the time of year that I won't be going in again until next spring. Snakes are bad and I'm even more afraid of hornets and bees. I bought a cab tractor for that very reason. I do a little random field mowing in the summer and I wouldn't do it without the protection of the cab. My days of being brave and/or outrunning hornets are over... :)

Nice NH. How old is your DR? Mine gets several miles of workouts each year.

Thanks NH. I'm thinking I bought the DR the year after the trees were set, so that would make it 8 years - possibly 7 years. I put the second replacement battery on mine yesterday.

Yes, they are great machines. As you probably would agree with - as long as you're mowing in a straight line, anyone could operate one, but if you're doing a lot of turning, it will separate the men from the boys...LOL.

It's great to see things so green while I am hitting frost while trying to plant trees.

It's great to see things so green while I am hitting frost while trying to plant trees.

Hopefully your weather will break soon. Our winter was a record breaking one in terms of severity. I understand how you must be feeling. Good luck with your tree planting. I will be planting more spruce and whacking more sweet gums in the coming weeks.

Hopefully your weather will break soon. Our winter was a record breaking one in terms of severity. I understand how you must be feeling. Good luck with your tree planting. I will be planting more spruce and whacking more sweet gums in the coming weeks.
Great weather forecast for this week.

Dad and I mowed my entire 60 acres of native grasses yesterday. This was for CREP mid term maintenance, and will be spraying in 3 weeks.

You guys have never seen what my place looks like mowed. Always a wall of grass...LOL.

I created this row of cedars without planting a tree.

Dad with the yote he whacked this morning after the mowing yesterday.

I set 500 Norways today by hand. I'm beat.