A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Native -
What's the plot seed mix in post #871 after your son's buck pics?? I see brassicas of some sort and maybe partridge pea, rye ...?? It looks like a super plot, whatever's in it!!!

Those bucks in the pics look a bit scrawny .......... maybe try feeding them??? !!!!! :emoji_wink: Some of them are SLABS - real tanks. The one buck looks bloated, it's so fattened up. :emoji_astonished: Nice work!!!
Bows, that plot is something I mixed up myself. The really big leaves are canola. This is my first year for it, and it has been eaten well. The other large leaves are radish. The grassy looking blades are wheat and oats, plus there is a good amount of clover and alfalfa. I think the alfalfa is what you see that kind of resembles partridge pea from a distance.

Thanks Native, for the info on the plot mix. From the looks of your deer, it's working!!

How much - percentage-wise - of each do you mix together (of the wheat, oats, clover, alfalfa, and radishes)?? Are one or 2 varieties more likely to out-compete the others - and thus cut back on production??

Thanks Native, for the info on the plot mix. From the looks of your deer, it's working!!

How much - percentage-wise - of each do you mix together (of the wheat, oats, clover, alfalfa, and radishes)?? Are one or 2 varieties more likely to out-compete the others - and thus cut back on production??
Bows, I missed the last part of your post for some reason. Yes, I always have to be very careful with brassicas, because they come up so fast and take up a lot of space quickly. They can choke out other species before they can get started. Turnips are bad for this, and canola is about the same. I experimented with some different percentages at different places in the plots, and below is about what I would now recommend per acre:

Clover (with some alfalfa if you want it) = 10 lbs
Chicory (I put chicory in everything) = 2 lbs
Grains (oats and wheat mixed about 50/50) = 50 lbs
Brassicas (mix of radish and canola about 50/50) = 2 lbs

Native -
With the seed sizes being so different, do you have to make separate passes in the plot, or do you have equipment that lets you make one pass without getting all the smaller seed dumped at once??

Native -
With the seed sizes being so different, do you have to make separate passes in the plot, or do you have equipment that lets you make one pass without getting all the smaller seed dumped at once??

Bows, I mix all of the seed together really well in buckets. Then I use an Earthway hand spreader. If you mix them well, they will stay separated long enough to spread them. I have seen a little unevenness, but not enough to be a problem. Some unevenness can also be a result of using throw and mow. With throw and mow, you will get some variation in how well seed germinate at different spots, because the ground can have some places that are harder than others. Also, your coverage of the seed with thatch can vary, because of making turns, etc. with the mower.

My goal with most of my plots is to end up with a good stand of clover and chicory for the next year. Then each fall, you can add some annuals back into the clover and chicory by overseeding. At some point a few years out, most plots need some attention from weeds and/or grass. Grass can be taken care of by Cleth, and when I do that, I always add some fall annuals to help fill in those bare spots. Eventually, it might be better to just start all over again. Best Wishes!

Native -
Thanks for that info. We also use Cleth for grass as needed. I also try to fill in bare or thin spots with spot-seeding. For our plots, 2 of us have Solo crank spreaders with the hard poly hopper. The rig hangs around our neck, and we walk the seed around. We walk a few miles doing that!! We usually mix the smaller seed as you do - in buckets - and then spread those. For the rye or oats we have to re-adjust our discharge openings and spread a second time. Otherwise we found that the small-seeded stuff dumped early - and thickly - in the walking if we mixed the bigger seeds with the clover, chicory, and radishes.

That's why I asked if you had equipment that separated / allowed you to seed everything at once. I know ag guys have all sorts of gadgets for various situations!! I was looking for an easier way.:emoji_grin:

I've been out doing some work recently and checking the collateral damage for the year. This type of conifer damage is never ending:

tYzaJg0.jpg

ruXOdoV.jpg

Doing some hinge cutting just in time for the current snow. The deer will enjoy the tree tops.

OspNeko.jpg

Food plots eaten down more than normal this winter.

qi8o74C.jpg

Doing some mowing with DR an Bushhog too. Bushhogging is to partially open up for spring turkeys

CbB2qEW.jpg

PXQit1X.jpg

I have three bobcats and two coyotes now. Trapper will be in as soon as the snow goes off. Cleaning out the predators should help the turkeys. Here are a few recent wildlife pics:

5gdvoal.jpg

vUXgqau.jpg

BiauYxx.jpg

AQc3G6S.jpg

sVEXj2J.jpg

C04BgwU.jpg

DakC6lk.jpg

05cJQeV.jpg

y8onRs3.jpg

uQamr4c.jpg

IjhILO5.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. Hope you enjoy.

Glad to see this buck I passed still alive and hanging around despite the recent mowing, hinge cutting and trapping going on. I hope he stays a homebody....

lENoAD6.jpg

Glad to see this buck I passed still alive and hanging around despite the recent mowing, hinge cutting and trapping going on. I hope he stays a homebody....

lENoAD6.jpg
if he leaves a fruit and nut oasis he's not so bright.

Looks like you have a good crop of bucks to watch for the upcoming season Native! Could be some real good ones from that bunch. Hopefully you find a few sheds.

Looks like you have a good crop of bucks to watch for the upcoming season Native! Could be some real good ones from that bunch. Hopefully you find a few sheds.

Thanks Swiffy. I'm probably killing my chances of finding any sheds. I'm out whacking sweet gums and repairing property line fence, so I've probably run all the deer off for a while. But the good news is that the trapper now has caught 3 coyotes and 2 bobcats.

A big goal of mine this spring is to get all of my property line fences back in good shape. Alot of this will be driving new steel post and tying them in, but there is a little wire to string too. My dad has cabin fever and he told me he was busting to help - and he is good help. I will also be doing some chainsaw work near the property lines to block the view. I like for my property line fences to be up. There can be no excuse for anyone being where they shouldn't be that way.

d7jcCq4.jpg

MVJZ43e.jpg

The trapper is pulling out Monday. He has done a good job - catching two bobcats and four coyotes this year.

TAxyWWe.jpg

t050RVx.jpg

I like how this is progressing:

bVR0nBP.jpg

PR6AJAR.jpg

I have run most all of my mature bucks off with all of the chainsaw work and other things going on. But, I've done this before in the spring and they always come back soon.

WcaRfcu.jpg

EkLw81E.jpg

pziQiwR.jpg

ZJjVAqI.jpg

RkrwYnp.jpg

mJkm3H8.jpg

It had been a while since I had seen my stocking fawn. Thought it was dead, but it is back again.

YTKp99y.jpg

Juvenile bobcats at both of my farms. They are multiplying faster these days. It will keep the trapper busy.

4CmERK9.jpg

Snacmkp.jpg

That's about it. I'm going part time soon and retiring before the end of the year. If I stay healthy and the Good Lord is willing, watch out for some serious habitat work in the future.

Last edited:
Congratulations on retiring...and starting the serious work ! I enjoyed trapping when I could but a 2 hour round trip daily for me was too much to keep it up. I never noticed a difference in the deer population but the turkeys were a big benefactor!

Your bucks will be back. It seems the does are back within minutes of leaving the woods after chainsaw work. Do you have a big plan you intend to set in motion when you retire?

Congratulations on retiring...and starting the serious work ! I enjoyed trapping when I could but a 2 hour round trip daily for me was too much to keep it up. I never noticed a difference in the deer population but the turkeys were a big benefactor!

Your bucks will be back. It seems the does are back within minutes of leaving the woods after chainsaw work. Do you have a big plan you intend to set in motion when you retire?

Thanks blueKYstream. I wouldn't say big plans, but I do want to implement some major tweaking. Below is my list in order of importance:

Get property line fences in good shape
Thicken up cover around property lines and other places
Kill sweetgums - a bunch of them
Set more shrubs and fence them off initially from deer
Add a few more trees - sawtooths, chestnuts and other fruit
Summer plots
Prairie maintenance - kill invasives and other work
Other miscellaneous tweaking to improve hunting and habitat

After all of that, I will regroup and see what else needs to be done. I would also consider doing some habitat consulting if anyone wanted to hire me. I'm not really looking to do that, but I wouldn't rule it out if someone asked me to do it.

Congrats Native, look forward to your post, as always.

Looking great Native! I cant imagine what youre capable of with even more time on your hands?!? Find some of them sheds, theyll be there!