Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Spent 2 hours planting, weed-matting, and enclosing 10 silky dogwoods (pictured) and 10 buttonbush (not), then another 2 hours cutting and spraying japanese bush honeysuckle along with hinge cutting and creating a sidewalk. Good day.

8ad98317ca9e81ada978dde1fa5037f2.jpg

bb3d686bef37bff3aae01b4560adb0d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

between deliveries today I spoke to green cover seed and now have 50 lbs of Fava beans, and innoculant on the way, going to give them a shot at it, see how they perform. Dedicating one whole plot to them, open, no protection, and will give them part of my soybean plot to see what they do protected, and a bit of them in a plot mixed. Possibly with rutabagas, perodovyk, and maybe some wgf sorghum. Not sure if it is warm enough to do em this weekend, but just putting it out there as the idea.

Waiting to hear from my lil lady, but hope to get down today, maybe plant my 5 persimmon, and 3 paw paw that arrived this week. Scheduled to work tomorrow night, but rain could squash that.

Cleared out tree tubes and cages this weekend. Chestnut trees get like crazy last year. I did have some winter burn on a few Norway spruce.

Was also able to get the recently burned prairie over seeded with the forbs and grasses8EFC85E4-96B7-4A08-B840-3146774A1A09.jpegFBA74159-6C48-4A2E-B991-AE6D3637BB9F.jpeg

It’s been busy at the farm so far this spring. Got a few projects done in the last week;
Put up more and cleaned out woody boxes.
Put up a new feeder.
Trimmed back some brush creeping into pasture.
Pruned.
Got bee hives unwrapped and ready for spring.

Next couple projects will be;
Adding some new stuff to shrub strips.
Planting a few more fruit trees.
Making and putting out bumblebee boxes.
Putting out mason bee hive.
Cleaning out bluebird boxes.
Fixing cable gate.

How successful have your bumblebee boxes been?

How successful have your bumblebee boxes been?

This will be the first year for us trying them. I have read up on everything I can find about it and I'm saving mouse nests for filler when we clean out the bluebird boxes next week.
I'll post up a thread on project when I get them all put together and out.

I need it to quit raining please

Took the weekend to clear some trees around our cabin to make for a larger yard before we get our septic system & well installed this summer.
1f1a7df82d8a428d4cc97320618fc925.jpg
fcd1a2f6b023ee0930c73dc7d5a52c1e.jpg
e4efb6fe17aa79e8da19df7986dca81d.jpg
f912995d531345f56f99aa7ff6089378.jpg

Left a giant mess of logs and brush for next time.

Also took the family out to another smaller property we own to scout and shed hunt.
e7d662c9e4cb448594a5c2d99edce2a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't get time to plant the trees yesterday, only had enough time to run the big lawn tractor over the acre of tall foxtail, knocked down to get beet gly coverage, NEED to kill that damn grass.

I went out with my wife over the weekend and loosened all the straps on my tree stands, checked in on my pear trees, and split a little wood. We’re shutdown as of today and I’m not working until it’s over so I’ll conserve my gas money and just not get out there again for awhile. It might be a month before I get back out.

took a walk the other night to the Woods by me. There is a brook that runs through and over the years it has washed down a few daffodils and Narcissus. They were doing too well in the woods so I had to rescue them and bring them to my yard best thing about them, deer will not eat them
bc2001998b04dc909b0f471ab24c0929.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Burns done so piling stuff up tighter to burn later.

planted 5 persimmon bare root today, as well as 3 paw paw bare root, hope they all make it, soil is damp, temps are perfect.

My crabs (10) and pears (10) arrived today so I'll be sinking them this weekend.
I also have about 30 ninebark which I never got in last year and ended up potting. I'll get them in this weekend as well.
Weather for this upcoming weekend in my area is looking great for tree planting.....cloudy and upper 40's.
Last weekend I dodged the rain drops and managed to get all my cuttings in....roughly 150 ROD.

Before
20200402_153532.jpg
After
20200402_165218.jpg

Heading to the farm tomorrow. On the list: transplant norway spruce, spray buckthorn, prune walnuts and fix some fence. Suppose to be high 50’s and sunny. Sure will feel good to be out and about

I spent the day planting some pawpaw seeds, checking tubed persimmons and chestnuts, checking fenced fruit trees, basal bark treatment on some autumn olive near the house, and spent about 45 minutes behind the chainsaw felling some trees (mostly ash, hickory, honey locust and maple) in a spot I hope might entice a buck.