In defense of THICK cover

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I have a couple of the Benoit family's books (Larry & sons) and one of the things they seem to emphasize is that the biggest, smartest bucks hang out in the thickest cover. One of the lines in the book went something like this - "We look for the sh##-holes. Sh##-holes are the thickest, most impossible tangles of cover we can find. That's where we often find the biggest bucks."

In my area of Pa., our camp - and on certain other lands - that I've hunted for years, I can confirm what the Benoit family has said. When the hunters hit the woods - and even in the rut - the biggest mature bucks are in the kind of crap you don't want to walk into. The buck sign proves out how much time they spend in those places. I can tell you without exaggerating, the places I've preferred to hunt you can't see 20 yards on the ground. If you aren't up in a tree stand, you won't see deer close by you. A 50 to 60 yard shot is fairly long where I hunt. Most shots are 20 to 40 yards. Many of the deer trails are more like tunnels in the thick brush, pines, hemlocks, and mountain laurel. I often have to duck low under overhanging limbs and tangles to get to my stands. Some spots are in pine & hemlock swampy areas so thick that even on sunny days, it's pretty dark in there. But the bucks are in there. My sons and I have mounts and racks on our walls to show for going into "sh##-holes."

Some guys on here are owners of properties that have THICK cover - pines, spruce patches & thickets, briars, honeysuckle, etc. Other guys want to plant thicker cover on their land. I've read some guys' posts on here that say they want the thickest cover around, so when the shooting starts - the bucks will head for their place. In my experience - that's a very smart strategy. Planting clusters and thickets of spruce on our camp land has improved the "holding ability" to attract & hold deer at our place, where before we were largely a pass-through property. One of the areas we planted first after logging 25 years ago is now so thick that 98% of our camp members don't want to even go in there. Avg. sight distance is about 15 to 20 yards, and you'll trip on things walking in there. But deer regularly bed and hide out in that thick stuff. What was once open hardwoods - no cover, no deer - is now a haven for bucks and does. It seems the Benoits were right about thick cover. I've seen it prove out on our camp property, and also on some other lands I've hunted over the years.

If I were starting out new on a property, I'd be planting the thickest cover / sanctuary I could create. Spruce, pines, hemlock, hawthorns. That'll take more years to establish than a food plot. I'd be hinging too - making tangles and thick, briar-infested security covers. Some guys on here have posted about deer running INTO their properties to thick cover they have when hunting begins. Perfect set-up.

I really don’t like to see the guys with coyote hounds in my woods, but a few years ago one of them had their dog get in there and he asked if he could retrieve it. By state law, I have to say yes.

He was back in about 45 minutes and he said that there is no way he could catch his dog in there. He couldn’t even get through a lot of it.

I think thick cover is important when there is heavy hunting pressure.

If no pressure or near none, cover may be less important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with much of what you are saying, in my area we have bogs with thick tamaracks, once the shooting starts, they lay in there during daylight hours. I have made shooting lanes into it in the past, but all it did was let me see what was moving, because if you didnt have your gun up and ready, you werent getting a shot, because they didnt hang out in the shooting lanes for long. I have about 5 acres of this bog, and 7 acres of swampy area with clumps of drier spots, now I leave both of these areas now as a sanctuary, with food plots in between. I try to catch them looking for does, or poking their noses out for food. But deer dont go in here any other time, except during rifle season.

I agree 100%, Bows!

We have about 200 acres of this stuff .... some areas the tag alders and tammaracks are so thick you can hardly walk through. We call it the deer factory.

1670375183786.png

I really don’t like to see the guys with coyote hounds in my woods, but a few years ago one of them had their dog get in there and he asked if he could retrieve it. By state law, I have to say yes.

He was back in about 45 minutes and he said that there is no way he could catch his dog in there. He couldn’t even get through a lot of it.

I think thick cover is important when there is heavy hunting pressure.

If no pressure or near none, cover may be less important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've told this story before. My neighbor sees a guy walking out of a piece of my timber towards the road so he pulls over to see what he's up to. Said the guy was soaking wet. Asked him what he's doing, the guy said his dogs radio collar showed the dog in there, but you can't even get through there, some asshole cut all the trees down....

I love that story..🤣
🤣🤣

This has been my experience as well. Mature deer in our area are only found where there are pockets of thick nasty cover. It is the one thing I am currently working on to improve my property. Have pines planted and some hinge cut areas.

I've told this story before. My neighbor sees a guy walking out of a piece of my timber towards the road so he pulls over to see what he's up to. Said the guy was soaking wet. Asked him what he's doing, the guy said his dogs radio collar showed the dog in there, but you can't even get through there, some asshole cut all the trees down....

I love that story..🤣
🤣🤣

You should put a sign out that says "Poison Ivy Test Site" ...

IMG_8005[1].JPG
Just to add to Bows' evidence... found this rub along side an overgrown path I had to CRAWL through on a drive last week that is about 10 yards above a food plot surrounded by about a 10 acre thicket...never woulda guessed a buck that would tear into a tree of this side woulda been in that spot, but that seems to be pretty good support....

Do you guys maintain paths through your thick cover? I have about 5 acres of thick, hinge cut, full of briars and honeysuckle that you can hardly walk through and it appears the deer mostly go around it. I am surrounded by open timber, ag, or pasture with pockets of cedars, which I believe is preferred bedding around here. I'm not sure if the deer here dont prefer that thick of cover or if I just need to cut some paths through it. They dont really summer here so there is no browse pressure in the summer. I came across a DR walk behind mower that is at the shop getting fixed that I am planning on mowing paths and pockets in the briars and honeysuckle with to see if they utilize it more afterwards.

We have paths on our properties. Seems the combo of thick and path edges really act like a magnet for us.

Do you guys maintain paths through your thick cover? I have about 5 acres of thick, hinge cut, full of briars and honeysuckle that you can hardly walk through and it appears the deer mostly go around it. I am surrounded by open timber, ag, or pasture with pockets of cedars, which I believe is preferred bedding around here. I'm not sure if the deer here dont prefer that thick of cover or if I just need to cut some paths through it. They dont really summer here so there is no browse pressure in the summer. I came across a DR walk behind mower that is at the shop getting fixed that I am planning on mowing paths and pockets in the briars and honeysuckle with to see if they utilize it more afterwards.
we have paths around some of the thick stuff and I have watched deer sneaking through the little rabbit hole type paths after jumping off the maintained paths

Depends on how you hinge cut and what grew back. The area I described above I cut wrong. Knee high hinge cuts block movement. Shoulder height cuts allow the deer to walk under most cuts. This area was at least 5 acres of knee high cuts that rebounded with lots of multi flora rose. I had to go back and cut small paths.

Depends on how you hinge cut and what grew back. The area I described above I cut wrong. Knee high hinge cuts block movement. Shoulder height cuts allow the deer to walk under most cuts. This area was at least 5 acres of knee high cuts that rebounded with lots of multi flora rose. I had to go back and cut small paths.
Bill,
That is what lot of my area looks like as well, knee/waist high cuts. After you cut your paths the utilization increased?

Bill,
That is what lot of my area looks like as well, knee/waist high cuts. After you cut your paths the utilization increased?
yes, I gave them several trails and even a few openings for doe bedding. Didn't use the opening so much but they went in there on the trails. Since much of the cut wood has rotted and it's exploded with new growth.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure the hunting pressure in Iowa ever gets bad enough that the deer feel the need to find the thickest, nastiest cover they can.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure the hunting pressure in Iowa ever gets bad enough that the deer feel the need to find the thickest, nastiest cover they can.

I believe that may true in many places where there are large properties in the Midwest.

I believe that may true in many places where there are large properties in the Midwest.
Certainly Iowa is not alone in that regard, they just do the best job of limiting pressure relative to the amount of mature deer.
Hats off to them for that.

Maybe that is the case, there is some pressure on 3 sides, and hardly any pressure on the 4th side.

IMG_8005[1].JPG

Just to add to Bows' evidence... found this rub along side an overgrown path I had to CRAWL through on a drive last week that is about 10 yards above a food plot surrounded by about a 10 acre thicket...never woulda guessed a buck that would tear into a tree of this side woulda been in that spot, but that seems to be pretty good support....
Nice looking rub for a button buck, Derek. WE .......... WE completely dismiss small sign like that! 😁 😆

Yep - the thicker the better. My son's biggest buck - a mature, older, massive 9 pt. - came sneaking along a tiny trail in horribly thick cover to work a scrape within 12 yards of his tree stand. If the scrape was another 3 yards back in that trail, he never would have seen him. Max distance to see in there ....... 20 yards tops. My son has to almost crawl under some pines and hemlocks to get to his tree stand - but it paid off.