Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Got my Miscanthus in finally. Next week I will be mowing my clover and working on our perimeter road system. Should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, as luck has it, or not... had a little rain this am, not a lot, just quick, and a bit over a quarter inch. amazing how that little bit can ruin a plan. switch gears, took off disc, strapped on the tank and filled it with gly. dosed my corn, and over three plots that need to start over from ground zero. about 2 gallons of 41% went through the sprayer this morning, then back to the disc, popped that back on and headed first to high ground, my ww field that I flipped 2 weeks ago had enough dry time to crust so I ran a light pass, not aggressive to break open the soil to take seed. Hit that with a new 4 seed blend. 12 lb sunflower, 25 lb lentil, 25 lb bmr grazing corn, 25 lb oats. this is a per acre rate. Dropped back down to the low areas and managed to not get stuck opening a disced field that was still moister than I care to be on, and hit that afterwards with the same mix.

took the rare personal time to add some sweet corn to a plot of corn, hidden from the deer in plain sight, 1 lb worth of some sweet hybrid... what better spot than in the middle of almost 2 acres of corn!
saw a Lot of deer, and a lot of sign.
Set up a new switch for the sprayer when I put it on this am, almost made a whole day with a great working setup, then a branch snagged a wire........ ripped it right out of the switch. worked great for the time it was in one pice, may re do...

my new phase inverter worked great, I use it to power the 120 volt pump I use to draw water from a creek to fill my spray tank. I love the real sprayer heads, great screen filters are key, and killer spray patterns.

allergies kicked my but today, typing through puffy eyes, feels like pollen in germinating in my throat, little punching bag in the back of my throat is bigger than a grape............

man I love the outdoors

this plot is larger than it looks, taken mid plot... corn sunflower lentil oats
20170603_181229_zpshrigtzje.jpg

and this shows the weedy grasses that are trying to steal from the corn that is up to 12 inches tall in select areas. striped by tractor tires during spray
20170603_124722_zpsdy1o6o5h.jpg

Last edited:
Got out twice this weekend. Started a separate thread on my new DR walk behind field and brush mower. I got so much done. Mowed all of my food plot trails, mowed my campground, cleared out the path to the outhouse a little better and mowed two fenceline property lines. It was a little warm yesterday but Friday I went early and got done before it got too bad. The rye on my trails had headed out and the clover is finally starting to look like I imagined. I'm hoping now that it really releases and takes off for the summer. I was thinking I'd be planting some oats or buckwheat to fill in the bare spots but now I'm not sure I'll need to do that. I'll wait a couple weeks and see what it looks like then.

Got a bunch of mowing done at camp this past weekend. 7 of us put time in doing various chores around the grounds. Saturday was great weather - Sunday was a total rain-out. Between showers I got more Washington hawthorns planted. High bush cranberry bushes are growing very well. They were just planted the last weekend in April.

wierd spring for sure, wet, and doubt it broke 60 today, at this rate my other plots that are wet wont dry out till August.......

gotta rally the troops and get em on a gly spraying weekend, mile a minute weed is in need of a dose before it gets beyond a control point.

I hate that stuff. I've got it in my landscaping and have to pull it. Can't spray cause I'll kill the good stuff.

any signs of it in MO?

Haven't seen it MO. Plenty in NJ. And I think northern Delaware will completly covered in it soon.

Oust has worked really well for me to control mile a minute. Apply before spring bud break and it shouldn't hurt your Woody plants.

just my luck, got finished planting last weekend, left bags of seed in the back seat of my truck, safe, dry, no harm no foul.....
wait what the foul stench is that? eminating from a bag seems to be the odor of death, I think a rat or a mouse got bagged up in my seed prior to shipping, and now it is ripe....... happy friday.

just my luck, got finished planting last weekend, left bags of seed in the back seat of my truck, safe, dry, no harm no foul.....
wait what the foul stench is that? eminating from a bag seems to be the odor of death, I think a rat or a mouse got bagged up in my seed prior to shipping, and now it is ripe....... happy friday.

They added some fertilizer for you.

I got out again today. I put down fertilizer according to the soil test I had done over the winter. The grain elevator misordered my stuff so I still have 150 lbs of DAP to put down next week and I might take the opportunity to throw down some more lime too. I've been doing it all with a push spreader. I think it's time to find a pull behind spreader for the ATV. It is a great workout though.

I also put my cameras back out. I run three cameras but I took them all down a couple weeks ago and just left them down until I finished mowing. I moved all of their locations too just to see what's going on in a few other spots. With only 36 acres my camera options are limited anyway.

I did score a nice deal on an archery bag target at Gander Mountain's close out sale. I took it out today too. We're going to put a ladder stand in our campground for a little tree stand practice on work days.

Last edited:
I'm almost bored out of my mind.....I've got all my decent projects done!
All I have left is watering the new fruit trees and pumpkins&squash, waiting to trim lanes and trails late summer and plant brassicas for deer season...also making a list on the rest of what I want to plant early next spring to finish up.
I don't mow very much at all just a few trails and a circle around the grass field late summer.

I need to get another place and start developing it for something to do!

got out yesterday, aside from getting the tractor stuck on a stump it was a good day... plowed and then ran the disc over 2 seperate plots, 3 acres in total. both had been hit with gly last weekend and the gly was showing signs of it working so under went the top, and up came the bottom. Nice to see the residual material from the last flip all black and there for the incorporation throughout the soil.

before
20170610_100902_zpsshvbfmdv.jpg

2 passes
20170610_124127_zpsvrhr7zac.jpg

after
20170610_154445_zpspvcpo3nu.jpg

If you have the time, room, creativity.... H2O, try mowing initials into a field, your tag on the land and see how long it takes for google maps to pick up on it.

I forgot to add to my post, that field in pics was a test field for Lynx winter peas. they proved winter hardy, I just did not have a thick enough stand to see them through the summer. That field was wrestled free from the surrounding brush you see along the sides, russian olive, cedar, mfr, goldenrod, artemsia, grasses. I has had a variety of items in it over the years, ww, sorghum, sainfoin ( another fail, needs a sandier soil than I can offer) I did not seed yesterday, just too wiped out and allergies absolutely destroyed me. 2 alegra in the morning, 2 benadryl at night and still my face is oozing from 5 out of 7 holes in various intensity. I am not going to make it out today, just can't do it. I think 9 hrs yesterday is enough.

I did see great evidence already of Lentil, oats, sunflower, and corn germinating from last weeks seeding, and best of all, my corn standing tall, almost knee high, amongst the now dying weeds after a gly spray! I usually don't bother but the grassy weeds were thicker than I care to see. 1 oz per gallon in the tank, 3 pints over 1.5 acres seems to be about perfect for the weeds I had.

stay tuned for increased image quality, just opened my new canon t7i dslr.

I like the initials idea.

Not sure the initials would still be there. Coming up on 3 years since we bought this place and google maps still shows photo from previous owner!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

i know my place upstyat you can see the quad trails plain as day, wouldn't take much to work in some initials. I know it i odd, we added a section to our shed three years ago, does not show up yet on maps, yet the neighbors built a new house 1/4 mile away 2 years ago and that is there........

no one likes the way the soild worked up? g tough crowd..........

Got out on Sunday and was able to turn over an old clover/rye ield that I had sprayed with gly 3 weeks ago. This a 0.75 acre section and I planted sugar beets. They are non RR and is a 1st time planting of them. If they fail i will simply over seed with turnips & GH radish, then rye in early fall.

IMG_20170611_142148_hdr.jpg

looks good, I hear beets are a heavy feeder, slow to get moving. I tried a few mangel beets, they never stood a chance and were browsed out of existance.