Who's working in the woods this weekend?

I'm right there with you. We've had just under two inches in the last 24 hours, with more on the way and dropping temperatures. My seedlings have been outside for three weeks now, and I hope that 34F the next couple of nights is survivable. I don't think that it's going to frost, but it'll be close.

The best I can hope for today is to see whether the direct seeded nuts have germinated and begin to replace cans with tubes. What a mess...and don't even get me started on Lake Ontario. Our big boat is still in the driveway waiting for the docks to be usable. At this rate, we'll be fishing by July.

It has been dry here now for a few days, I over seeded crimson clover in both orchards and checked all the fruit trees for any low growth that needed nipped off. I planted some crimson clover last fall and am very pleased how it has come in and looks and how the bees like the dark red flowers, I read up on it some and decided to mix in some more.

Also found this ground sparrow nest in the big orchard, seems like everything is reproducing well so far this spring.

cheap enough to use as bird seed, chicken feed, horse feed, rabbit feed, cows, good grief.

contacted the seller, not suitable for planting... oh well, saved a 2 hr drive by texting first.

well hot damn, stopped by the plots today to do some work and looks like I'm going to have a helluva corn plot, decent germination and spacing of plants amongst the weeds, now to start looking for a good deal on a nitrogen fertilizer, and get the roundup ready to knock down the weeds in about 2 weeks. Also coming up dang nice is a plot of peas I put in, figured can't hurt to give em a try and let em go all season, possibly over the winter as well as they made it over winter in another plot well enough to let them earn the right to live..... Planted a clover plot, gluton for punishment, spring is not the best time to do that. Crimson clover is about past bloom in the plots that have it and will be turned under soon. Saw 7 turkey, 9 deer, one walked straight at me on the tractor.... saw my first fawn of the year as well. my alfalfa is having a hard time competing with some tough weeds, might be a bust. caught a pizza sized snapping turtle, he was not amused. I need to stop by tractor supply and grab a tube or two for my front tires, having a tough time sealing a bead on one and not dealing with that carp any longer. great day to be in the fields.

Cool. I'll be renting a mini excavator on the first weekend in July and getting my plots and road system done. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planted 375 feet of miscanthus giganteus rhizomes the last two days. Ground was damp from the past week's rain, and got about a half inch more each night after planting. Which was good as watering it would have been a chore. Now just need some warm sunny days.

I will be at my hunting land this weekend, but I will be enjoying it, and not working. Although I always find things that "need" to be done. While everyone is out this weekend doing land improvements and enjoying the weekend, please take a few seconds and remember what Memorial day is for, and remind the youth so they will carry on the meaning to their children.

not a bad haul, I pitch mine to the edges, trees, fence posts........ seems like they just keep coming back somehow. gotta read the fine print on my seed bags for any sign of noxious rock seed.........

not a bad haul, I pitch mine to the edges, trees, fence posts........ seems like they just keep coming back somehow. gotta read the fine print on my seed bags for any sign of noxious rock seed.........

I throw 'em on the bank too ... I think they wiggle back in sometimes ... this was my 3rd load after disking this spring ...

I could use a few nice stones like that for around my house. I've exhausted many of the farmer's rock piles around me that I know. I'm sure there is a few near the road I haven't found yet.

Went out & pulled cards, was hoping my buckwheat & peas would be up. Apparently the deer love them. Majority of the sprouts have been browsed low, looks like I didn't broadcast enough seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Made it out today for awhile. Walked all of my food plot trails. We had lots of rain again the last two days. I had two cameras still out and set on video. I had several videos of turkeys feeding on the cereal rye that's headed out. It's five feet tall in some places. I also had a few videos of a couple does, two bucks together with the beginnings of some nice headgear and one loner buck with a pretty wide rack getting started. I was excited to see all of that. My son went with me too. He just graduated college and started working full time two weeks ago. This was his first trip out since I started our first attempts at hinge cutting a few momths back. We have some pretty impressive cover starting to develop and we probably hinged another 25 trees to expand that area. Then we decided we'll now stay out of that area until deer season ends next winter. I'd say it's probably a half acre area more or less. It's a good start.

I ordered a walk behind DR Pro 26 14.5 horse power field and brush mower today too. I have lots of mowing to do and while I've looked at some small tractors it's just not in the budget or storage space plans right now. I'll start anew thread on the mower once I get it setup and start mowing. I've decided to mow the rye over the next couple of weekends and just maintain the clover and let it grow until I finalize my food plot plan for the summer and fall.

Last thing we did was finish marking out an area to expand into a new food plot. It's an area we started on last summer and just didn't get to with so much other work to do. We decided it will get some work this summer and then really focus on it next winter. It was a good day.

Ran over after cutting the grass at home yesterday to pull the Kunz Acrease behind the ATV and give our trail system it's first shave of the year. With rain in the forecast and me leaving for a week of fishing L. Champlain next Saturday, it was time. The trails had grown up nearly thigh high in some places with all of the wet weather this spring, but the Kunz did them right. I've got to say, it's a heck of a machine.

Unfortunately, I was also able to see all of the multiflora that's emerging. Man do I hate that stuff! Even after you cut and treat the stems, there's still three years of barb wire to deal with before it's gone. I guess it's good cover for the bunnies and such, but...did I say I hated that stuff yet?

I got some plots planted and then took the kids fishing!

sheesh, now my seed is in, but the fields are sogggggggy

Maybe this weekend or next week if the forecast holds!