Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Some nice trees. All are 2-3 foot tall after planting. Nice root systems, and about 10 of the 25 are trying to break out of their buds already. Here's 3 that are representative of the lot.
7b1916fec64277da21cd3b1205c0802b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Between today and tomorrow, the last of the trees go in. Unfortunately, we had over an inch of rain yesterday, which means that it's going to be soggy planting. We got twenty fruit trees from Cummins put in the ground and protected last weekend. Now it's on to the final bare root hardwood and speckled alder. Two more days and done...next year, I will be more circumspect in my choices :emoji_grin:.

I will be out planting apple trees this weekend, and lilacs as well :)

So far this spring the weather has cooperated as for spring freezes. Maybe, just maybe I may get some fruit this year. Although most of my trees need to be thinned down if they to fruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be spreading 5 tons of lime!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Didn't get any work done, but I stopped by my fathers place to check on the plot. We got quite a bit of wash out and have quite a bit of weed pressure, but it will give me plenty of vegetation to throw and mow for the fall.

Also got to check on the progress of some dirt work. The county is building s new bridge close by, and my dad's place is supplying the dirt they need for the embankments. They are almost done with all the removal. It about doubled this small pond and the back side of it will now be 12' deep. Pretty cool how they put a cofferdam in to hold back the original pond.
dcedcf76dcd590e09df7761fa930d58b.jpg
c0c5017d07786baf474365d2a53d873d.jpg

Didn't get any work done, but I stopped by my fathers place to check on the plot. We got quite a bit of wash out and have quite a bit of weed pressure, but it will give me plenty of vegetation to throw and mow for the fall.

Also got to check on the progress of some dirt work. The county is building s new bridge close by, and my dad's place is supplying the dirt they need for the embankments. They are almost done with all the removal. It about doubled this small pond and the back side of it will now be 12' deep. Pretty cool how they put a cofferdam in to hold back the original pond.
dcedcf76dcd590e09df7761fa930d58b.jpg
c0c5017d07786baf474365d2a53d873d.jpg

Are they going to leave some of that dam in place? That would be cool to fish from if it was safe. Like a natural pier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are they going to leave some of that dam in place? That would be cool to fish from if it was safe. Like a natural pier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, we are having them remove it entirely. The pond is right at 2 good cast lengths wide, so it won't be an issue to cover it fishing wise.

Edit: here is a cool view from up by the dam.
8e241d5ca9f184cc49c7b9c48c6cabd1.jpg

Had the week off and the plan was to go up and clear a half acre of brush for new plots. Weather and family commitments got in the way. I was able to show my wife the property and surrounding area..I think she's OK with it...maybe

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Well, four weeks of planting and sledgehammering stakes has left me broken...literally :emoji_anguished:. I can barely lift my coffee mug this morning. My right arm has what I'm assuming is the worst case of tennis elbow I've ever experienced. That's what you get when you put a desk jockey in the woods for too long!

The last of it goes in today: 200 speckled alder. They're only 6-12" and will get mesh/bamboo rather than tubes, so no more pounding. It should go quickly. Famous last words.

I have to heal quickly...there's more habitat work to be done:emoji_grin:!!!

I love the pond, too. I'm thinking about putting one in at our place this summer, but likely not as big; more of a watering hole than pond. Who knows, though? Dream big.

I won't be working this weekend. I'll be turkey hunting. I've never been much of a turkey hunter but now that I have my own place and a handful of birds on camera I figure I might as well give it a shot again. I know it's been more than a decade. I've hunted turkeys in the past with limited success. I used to always end up seeing deer and started focusing on their behavior and forgetting about the turkeys. Even a small doe gets my heart racing. Turkeys never did that for me. Maybe it'll be different now. Now it's another way to be out hunting on our own place. I'll probably pull camera cards while I'm there. Our turkey season runs through May 7th so while I'm pretty busy right now I can probably squeeze in three or four days of hunting.

I(we) worked most of the day on Friday(me) and Saturday(we). Got 250 trees in the ground that were purchased through the Columbia County WI trees sale. I don't have a long history with purchasing trees like this but they all seemed to be healthy with good root systems. Chestnuts, fir, balsam, swamp oak. Some bushes of cranberry, crabapple and juneberry also went in. My son and my buddy's son also both harvested nice Toms Saturday morning. It was a great weekend to be in the woods and at turkey camp.

Going to mow some clover plots this weekend then spray them with Cleth/Butyrac. Need to fence in some apple trees I put in the ground a few weeks ago. Intended to fence them the day I planted them but developed an awful headache. Need to spray some strips with gly in order to prepare for EW planting going in the ground later in May.
Right now there's a chance of rain both Saturday and Sunday. If it rains, hopefully it's just a passing shower and not an all day event. Can't wait to get up to the property and see it. It's been a few weeks and things have really greened up.

well I got it all in my cart, will call tomorrow to order......... green cover seed the source, the items include spring lentil, bmr grazing corn, collards, ptt, oats, sunflower............ 300 lbs in total, will be 250 shipped freight.. that will put me at 400 lbs of seeds so far this year, added to the 75 lbs of good seed leftover from last year.... will need about 50 to 75 lbs of crimson clover, and about 600 lbs winter wheat once fall arrives....... wow, Im damn near a farmer!

Spring work detail at camp this weekend. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Norway spruce, balsam fir, Washington hawthorn, serviceberry, ROD, American high bush cranberry, witch hazel and 5 apple trees to go in. Plenty of planting to get done, plus firewood cutting/splitting/stacking, equipment maintenance, etc. Having multiple members makes it possible.

Hunted a bit and cut a bit. Heard 10 gobblers, but did not connect. But I ended up cutting down 20 big cedars that were making the land a wasteland.

Got 1.65" of rain here overnight. Quite a bit more on it's way. Supposed to be dry, but hot, tomorrow at the farm.

Weather is still cool in our neck of the woods. Great for habitat work. I've been transplanting trees. White cedar, Balsam Fir and White Spruce. I'm dividing plots into smaller sections. Also built a split rail fence to divide a large section of plot, provide screening from the road. This area is rocky, hard for planting trees. I hit this spot with RU last fall. I plan on planting sorghum/sudan in amongst the fence, this should help hold it up after frost and maintain the screen.

I sprayed 8 gallons from backpack around 1 year old Norways this morning before and up to the rain event. Cleth is supposed to be rainfast in 1 hour, so we'll see how well it kills having 1 minute. Had atrazine, prowl, and crop oil in the tank as well.

I sprayed 8 gallons from backpack around 1 year old Norways this morning before and up to the rain event. Cleth is supposed to be rainfast in 1 hour, so we'll see how well it kills having 1 minute. Had atrazine, prowl, and crop oil in the tank as well.

That will be interesting to find out the results!?!?!

I finished planting for the year and took a walk to survey the results. In the first picture, the cherry trees are in full bloom, with Copper Chinkapin in shrub tubes in the foreground and some hardwoods in 5' tubes. In the second, the apples are coming into bloom, with hazelnut, chestnut and nannyberry plantings scattered underneath. The third picture is some hinge work from the winter with hybrid swamp white-burr oak in tubes. The fourth shows a panoramic view of scattered conifers that form a bedding area with several apple trees among them and tubes holding ninebark, hazelnut, and elderberry, plum and arrowwood viburnum. If you look closely you can see two Moonglow pear that we planted and caged this spring as well...the mini-orchard is in a protected clearing in back of me as I'm taking the picture (no images, sorry). The final picture is of a large tamarack grove that was planted in the early 1970s, where we're trying to establish better cover using shade tolerant shrubs like spicebush, chokeberry, sumac, and some types of dogwood, as well as small bedding groups of white spruce. It's been a back-breaking two years of planting, but certainly a labor of love.

image1.JPGimage2.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image7.JPG