Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Planted 600 NS from Itasca. Divided them up between 13 bedding areas ranging from 1/4 - 1 acre in size. Going for diversity here.

I got size 10 which used to be S77's. Not impressed with the size this year. At first I thought they sent me 4a's. Trees were healthier looking than previous years though.

Yesterday was a beautiful day for it. Almost 70 degrees in SE PA if that's where you were.

I went out and was going to do some work today but my back is acting up a little so I just walked around looking for any blooming wild crab apples. Didn't see any other than the two I knew about that are right on my fenceline.

I also pulled the cards from the cameras I put out last Sunday. Had one Doe picture, a couple crows, a raccoon and a rabbit on one card. On another card I did have several pictures of a group of four does. I'm learning on the game cameras. The one with the four does had deer looking right at the camera on every picture. I moved all 3 of my cameras to different trees and raised them up to about 6 feet high and put a stick behind them to angle them down. I'll wait two weeks before I pull the cards again and see if maybe this time the deer aren't looking right at the cameras.

Threw out some med red clover in a couple of small plots that are looking a little thin from planting last fall. The existing rye and clover were mowed down to a putting green before winter so starting to get muddy now. Frost must just be coming out in a spots with southern exposure, saw a couple of timberdoodles for first time and swans were heading north. The robins and sandhills have been here for several weeks. Hoping to plant some trees early this year which would help since looks like work is gonna mess up my normal tree planting/turkey hunting window two years in a row!

I went out and was going to do some work today but my back is acting up a little so I just walked around looking for any blooming wild crab apples. Didn't see any other than the two I knew about that are right on my fenceline.

SI
When you pull the next batch of cards, be sure to take another stroll around the property to see what is blooming. There is about a 2+ week window for the stuff that blooms on my land. Goes from plum/pear to crabs/apples to chokecherry/black cherry. Some sumac and elderberry in there too but don't remember the sequence for those. Don't know much about bloom times for the southern stuff like persimmons but sure others can help

Thanks for the advice. I have heard that persimmons are among the last to bloom. Although I don't think I have any. I've got a couple busy weekends coming up but should make it down again on April 9th. That should give trees a chance to bloom and my cameras enough time to get some pics. If I can sneak down on a weekday in between I certainly will though. I'm anxious to see the clover and rye take off too.

Sunday was my annual poison ivy run; some of our Tamarack that have been uncared for over the last forty years have vines the size of your wrist growing up them. I use the top blade of the chainsaw and tordon the cut vine. Then I pray that I don't get the stuff breaking out all over me. Tecnu wash is great stuff and I've been lucky the past few years...

If made over half the drive to the farm today.
Finish tomorrow and if the rain holds off I'll finally be working in the woods this weekend. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sunday was my annual poison ivy run; some of our Tamarack that have been uncared for over the last forty years have vines the size of your wrist growing up them. I use the top blade of the chainsaw and tordon the cut vine. Then I pray that I don't get the stuff breaking out all over me. Tecnu wash is great stuff and I've been lucky the past few years...
Be careful with that Tordon around desirable trees. It's soil active and can damage trees that are close. That's especially true when treating vining plants because they're usually climbing the trees we're trying to protect. I still use Tordon sometimes, but I now mostly use 50-50 Glyphosate.

SW. Pa.

I am planning on making a quick weekend trip this weekend, mostly to drop off some needed supplies for my next trip up, when I plant trees. I will have to do some tree cutting for the trees that blew down this spring, and a little plot clean up, removing sticks, and branches. Other then that it will be a little R&R, some cocktails while staring into the first fire of the year. Much needed!

I went out and pulled my 3 camera cards today and attempted some mushroom hunting. None to be found. We had a handful of deer pictures, one turkey and a coyote on camera - and always a raccoon or two. Two lessons learned. First, Two weeks ago when I pulled cards almost every deer was looking at or in the direction of the cameras. This time not one picture of a deer noticing them. I had them set at waist high before but moved them all up to six feet with a stick behind them angling them down when I was out there last time. What a difference. This time I also set them all on video just to see how that turns out. Second lesson - a blowing vine will trigger over 300 pictures in two weeks time. Of course I didn't know that until I got home today and looked at my pictures - so next time out I need to move that camera a little and I'll probably have lots of video of a blowing vine in a week's time.

For as much as I love my trail cameras and won't get rid of them, they can be a pain.
Until I switched to buckeye cams I had stopped using them. It nice to be able to turn down the sensitivity setting from the couch.

There expensive but in the long run I think they may be cheaper. Some have run for over 6 or 7 years 24/7/365

Gorgeous weather here too. I spread some lime. Other than that I just stood and admired the new and year-old fruit trees, 23 out of 24 leafing out.

So much for my poison ivy wish. It wasn't cutting the vines that did me in, it was planting 150 bare-root hardwood and copper chinkapin last weekend. With all the rain we've had, I was planting in a muddy mess. The Stihl BT45 auger gave me a hole, but I needed to jam mud back in to fill it. I was literally bathing in the muck. Maybe there were roots in there or something, but I, like an idiot, forgot to Tecnu up after planting and ended up with an ivy sunburn on both forearms. Not too bad, but itchy.

Anyway, used the dibble to put in another 300 bare root shrubs yesterday. I'm feeling it this morning. I had one buddy helping me and another couple guys plus my wife stopped by for a couple hours each, so it only took 7 hours to get them in the ground and protected using 3' tubes. I thought I was missing some shrubs in my order from Missouri, and sure enough I get a UPS shipping notification this morning that another package is to be delivered today with the silky dogwood and elderberry. We've gone from 30 degrees with snow to nearly 80 degrees over the last three days and I don't think I have it in me to plant this evening, even if I can find the time. Despite the heat, I may try to store them in the garage until Wednesday and plant when it cools down; I should have some "older" mulberry and hybrid hazelnut to plant then, too.

Fruit trees from Cummins are supposed to arrive by the end of the week! Planting area has been cleared and cages are built...

Kinda backwards from us. It was nearly 80 a couple days ago, now we have snow in the forecast. Mother nature, your drunk, go home!

Two lessons learned. First, Two weeks ago when I pulled cards almost every deer was looking at or in the direction of the cameras. This time not one picture of a deer noticing them. I had them set at waist high before but moved them all up to six feet with a stick behind them angling them down when I was out there last time. What a difference. This time I also set them all on video just to see how that turns out.

I run primarily public land and run my cameras 9-10 feet up to avoid being noticed by humans as well. With a black IR camera, I haven't had a single animal or human looking at the camera for pics. I also started doing videos instead of pics, and it makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run primarily public land and run my cameras 9-10 feet up to avoid being noticed by humans as well. With a black IR camera, I haven't had a single animal or human looking at the camera for pics. I also started doing videos instead of pics, and it makes a big difference.
I'm

Videos over photos is a great tip for any camera that has a "trigger" noise. Only one "trip" per event vs multiple. I run a couple cheapo wildgame innovations over food plots on video.

How do u reach to place a cam at that height every time?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How do u reach to place a cam at that height every time?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I carry one Hawk Helium stick with me while scouting.

I'm getting a spot ready in the corner of the orchard for a couple bee hives that should be arriving later in the week.