Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Oh hell yes!!!!!

There's just something about a nice fire - and I have the same Dickey Bub plastic adirondack chairs at my campground too!

If I tried to work in the woods this weekend or maybe next I would need a life preserver. Never seen my woods as flooded as it is now and I'm in sand !

no work....lots of storms, rain and flooding in my area.....more coming yet tonight. I did get out to look at things....my water hole was full.....now to see if it stays full!

No work in the woods for me this time around, went fishing instead. But I did notice that my rye has turned the corner and is now about 6" high.

Good to know the deer are done with the rye now

Tree planted Saturday, 5,000 spruce in the ground. It was just dry enough to get the tractor and tree planter just about everywhere we wanted to. I'm a little sore today.

Got the 5 apple trees planted at camp, and also 3 high bush cranberries, 6 serviceberry, 25 R.O.D. Spruce and balsam fir will have to wait for next trip - we got rained out. All other camp chores got done just before the rain started. I got the " main " orchard fertilized with some 19-19-19 around the drip lines.

New home place orchard I got started few weekends ago. Checked over the weekend and glad to see the turkey creek trees greening up nicely. These are yates x2, Arkansas Black, enterprise and dolgo. Lots of room to add a handful of trees every yr
IMG_2413.JPG
Clover in the chestnut orchard exploding with all this rain! This was a brassica/clover plot planted last fall. Cant believe how well the clover filled in. Lots of browsing.. Chestnut trees are doing real well too.
IMG_2408.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG

I got a little unfortunate news today. Neighbor called We had so much water this week that the creek rose so much and had so much force that it completely washed out our road crossing and took the culvert pipes with it. There are four of us that share that road so we'll have to get it fixed on our own. Probably going to cost a few dollars. The creek washed out a spot six feet wide and six feet deep the width of the road. I haven't seen it yet and with the road closings I may not get out to look this weekend. Next week I'm shooting in an IDPA match so won't be able to get out there then either. We need to get estimates, probably do a temporary repair and then buck up and fix it more permanently. Kind of stinks but it is what it is. I learned a long time ago to not get worked up about things I can't control. That driveway/road has been there for probably decades and never washed out like this. We'll just have to fix it right and move on.

I got a little unfortunate news today. Neighbor called We had so much water this week that the creek rose so much and had so much force that it completely washed out our road crossing and took the culvert pipes with it. There are four of us that share that road so we'll have to get it fixed on our own. Probably going to cost a few dollars. The creek washed out a spot six feet wide and six feet deep the width of the road. I haven't seen it yet and with the road closings I may not get out to look this weekend. Next week I'm shooting in an IDPA match so won't be able to get out there then either. We need to get estimates, probably do a temporary repair and then buck up and fix it more permanently. Kind of stinks but it is what it is. I learned a long time ago to not get worked up about things I can't control. That driveway/road has been there for probably decades and never washed out like this. We'll just have to fix it right and move on.

Dang
Your right though cant get worked up about the small stuff. Kinda nice you can split the expense with a handful of neighbors.. Im kinda scared to check out my pond spillway
Good luck in your shooting match!

IMG_0989.JPG Thanks Jordan. I know you live in this area. Eureka, Pacific, Arnold and everything West and south of us Just got hammered. I live in Wildwood. We're safe and dry with no danger of flooding. The property is in Cuba. Ironically we call it the Island. When you look at all the loss and hardship those in the neighboring areas have had, including loss of life in some cases, I'm not gonna whine about a road. Doing what you do in your line of work I know you've seen some disaster in your area. Stay safe out there!

Attaching a funny picture my son just sent me. He's got a great perspective on this.

I got the call from maple river farms that they will be sending out the rhizomes next week. Can't wait to get them in the ground. I got to rent a mini excavator also to get my plots ready to go for the year, and prepare my road all the way around the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are coming next week too.

Finished spraying around 1 year old Norways yesterday. Stepped on this chunky based shed in the grass that has grown tall already. I found 4 this year. 2 while looking and 2 while working.

20170503_143724-1_resized.jpg

Nice shed! It seems like I never find them while looking, only when I trip over them!!

I just got to my place in NC. I have lots of projects planned. Will pick up 700 catfish and 15 grass carp in the morning to go into the pond. Next on the list is to start breaking ground on the new food plots I had pushed in and stumped last fall. We will also be planting our existing plots as well. Soy beans is on the menu for all of these plots. I will post some pics as the week goes along.

I have a pallet with 300 lbs of seed on it on its way, should be fun heading to the freight terminal to pick it up, first time for everything. but saving 130 bux on shipping, I'l try it.

yikes, 3 inches of rain in a little under 4 hours........... guess I'm not getting any plowing done tomorrow.