Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Finally Friday, chance to hit the woods. List not as big as last weeks, but it always seems like you can finish 1 project an find another.

3 main projects need tended to.
picking up downed Russian olives, mark stumps for removal
Hang a stand an prep shooting lanes and trails
check out a site for the new micro plot, remove dead hedgerow & tree fabric.

Then a bunch of side projects,
mulch new tree plantings
finish wire mesh around young apples
second app off fungicide on apple, CAR spores back out after 1in of needed rain Wednesday.

Just glad I don't have to water, that burns up a decent chunk of time an space.
So far June has been nice in that regard.

lets see, I need to check on all the recently seeded plots, maybe hang a trail cam, fix lead wires to spray pump,spray a clover plot with cleth, check on alfalfa plot after spraying to knock down the artemsia, find that stump I ot hung up on last week and cut it lower, prune some R olive so I can see a pot from the tower stand, add a bit of ply to the tower stand, ran short during build....., Neaten area around tractor, get rid of old tires, take some pics of plots, add a no tresspass sign or two where a few trails seem to have been showing up from neighbors.......... pitch a few rocks out of plots.

lets see, I need to check on all the recently seeded plots, maybe hang a trail cam, fix lead wires to spray pump,spray a clover plot with cleth, check on alfalfa plot after spraying to knock down the artemsia, find that stump I ot hung up on last week and cut it lower, prune some R olive so I can see a pot from the tower stand, add a bit of ply to the tower stand, ran short during build....., Neaten area around tractor, get rid of old tires, take some pics of plots, add a no tresspass sign or two where a few trails seem to have been showing up from neighbors.......... pitch a few rocks out of plots.

This thread is about who is working, not who is planing on working .... btw, I am still drinking beer and writing my to do list for tomorrow ... :emoji_slight_smile:

In Florida working on the water this weekend. But sheeze just got here its 11:00 pm and sticky.

Hope to have some shark stories if the sun doesn't make me a raisin.

ma nature has other ideas, heavy soaking rains overnight, and still coming down. Might go down to look around and see what could be done. get these trail cams tuned up and head down in a bit.

Pumpkins after 6 days!

Added a cutting board chainsaw scabbard to tractor today, and an ammo box for pins clips bolts nuts pins small tools for on the spot repairs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azj1zd77jck49s3/20170624_144527.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj2pzojl5f268ub/20170624_132011.jpg?dl=0
20170624_144527.jpg

20170624_132011.jpg

Last edited:
6866A928-630E-4018-81D5-51F8AB910CCE.JPG F43A80B0-A07B-420E-9B25-D7F27060A417.JPG 0B6F897A-9050-4EBF-9CF5-322B35A7100E.JPG 709252F1-84F0-43BE-8086-A3C66E73646A.JPG Spent a full day today. The previous owner had lots of scrap lumber laying around - its all junk - so I've been planning a burn weekend for a while. I burned a bunch of it today but probably have two days of burn left. I'll be back out again tomorrow for a few hours.

While the fire was going I spent a good portion of the day clearing out the driveway to the campground a little better and then really cleared out the area around the outhouse. I know that might sound silly but it's a vital part of the property sometimes.

Here's a couple pics. I didn't do before pics so the after ones maybe don't do them justice.

Last edited:
I also got to shoot my bow again today. Building the archery range is on the to do list when I get back from vacation the first week of July. My shoulder seems to be cooperating and while I'm 12 lbs lighter in draw weight the shooting is going well. At 55 lbs my bow seems so slow but it's just so much easier to hold and shoot this way for now. I had an opportunity to shoot a new Matthews Halon 32-6 this week. It was set at 58 lbs with an IBO speed of 343. My son and I have started calling it a missile freak. Really nice bow. I'll be pretty tempted if my shoulder continues to hold up. My bow is a Browing Oasis from 2005. I don't replace them often. The one before that was a 10 or 12 year old Hoyt Gamegetter. I feel like a five year old sometimes. I don't "need" a new bow. I just "want" one. 5528BBF6-D046-4BEE-9ED1-C172FE53252C.JPG The target is my first three shots at 20 yards. By the time I got out to 40 yards I got tired and sloppy. I also really like the hurricane target.

Mowed about 10 acres of the CP5A
The clover fire brake is looking good.

Pics look good, where did the first arrow of the day hit? that is the only one that counts

Pics look good, where did the first arrow of the day hit? that is the only one that counts
Haha - those were actually the first three. I've been practicing a little. Funny how that works. You practice - you get better.

I mowed our campground, too! It's definitely an important part of the property...right up front where it's not intruding on the deer hangouts...and it keeps the family involved in a way that's not ALL work.

I also mowed the trails for the second time this year. The record rainfall has the grasses growing like crazy. At least the frost-seeded clover is doing well, too. Pulling a Kunz Acrease behind a Yamaha Grizzly makes for quick work. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of prep time too because of the thick cover and edge die off from spraying two years ago. It takes a couple of hours to make the rounds with a saw and battery powered hedge trimmers before I can mow.

And some bad luck, too. I had a mulitflora that had invaded a medium size ash tree and was threatening a young but productive wild apple on a trail edge. So, I cut and Tordon'd it last year. Wouldn't you know that the ash came down with the dead multiflora right onto the apple? What a mess. I put on my briar gear and did the best I could to save the tree. At least two limbs had to be sacrificed. I hope it will make it, but I'm doubtful. Consolation is that there's a ton of wild apple on the property to complement the stuff I'm planting, and some of them produce excellent, unique, delicious fruit. Finally, I had a couple of crabs show up on one of the Cummins trees that I just put in this spring. I know I should pinch them off, but...sorry for the poor picture; if you look close you can see the fruit. Also, a picture of one of the large wild trees loaded up.
image3_zpssldqdvss.jpg

image2_zpsrune2tnn.jpg

Not in the woods - damn flies will carry you away. I did get some seedlings transplanted and plots sprayed.

repaired my sprayer today, had a branch rip off the electrical wires a few weeks back, ucked and zip tied now, and hooked up the sprayer. Hit two plots with cleth, god bye and good riddance grasses. One on a big red clover plot, the other my peas, one more week and I think the grass would have killed the pe3as so just in time. Aloso took a bit off the plow shares, had a set of super suck on there and it was too much dig for the plow, tended to bend the tips.

Finally getting some work done today after work on the food plots!!! Mowing with the John Deere 955 and 5' King Kutter brush mower.

0af6594315298a2bd1ff290388b0da63.jpg

96e6f5efbd4b248848083eb1ab78dcd1.jpg

c7b66dd20597a9be9b0606963bcf81a9.jpg

475f4bfea04fabf59a12a9d5fa274e8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I headed up to NC this past weekend to check on things. Got in late evening on Thursday and checked out my new fields that I had pushed in after I clear cut some timber last summer. They look ok but the beans are short and not very thick. This new ground is red clay and needs some more work.
IMG_3920.JPGIMG_3921.JPG

Friday morning I took Cason to the pond and he had a blast.
IMG_3923.JPGIMG_3928.JPG

After fishing we checked the rest of the food plots and cameras. I decided to replant about 4 acres of beans. Little had a big time and crashed out on me.

Attachments

• IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 11
Lifetime memories

Good stuff

bill

I will be out all week next week, I need to work up a couple food plots, and plant them with PTT, and GHR. I need to clean some weeds out of my apple tree cages, and put down some new weed blocker. I also need to stare at some fire, and try to use up all of the old beer that is in the fridge from last weekend. I hate when that stuff sits to long, and it may go bad. I will also be spending some time with the family, hitting some ATV trails, spending a little time on the water. I may even do some good ol fashion redneck stuff, like shoot stuff, and blow stuff up.

This is the one weekend a year that deer may want to exit my property, and find a quieter place to hang out at for a little while. My land is managed for deer, and wildlife, but having fun on it with the family is more valuable then deer. My land from Labor day weekend on, until April is off limits except for hunting, and a little TSI. The rest of the year it is for land management, and some family rnr, with 4th of July week being the most rowdy.

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday, stays safe, and has some fun!

I will be out all week next week, I need to work up a couple food plots, and plant them with PTT, and GHR. I need to clean some weeds out of my apple tree cages, and put down some new weed blocker. I also need to stare at some fire, and try to use up all of the old beer that is in the fridge from last weekend. I hate when that stuff sits to long, and it may go bad. I will also be spending some time with the family, hitting some ATV trails, spending a little time on the water. I may even do some good ol fashion redneck stuff, like shoot stuff, and blow stuff up.

This is the one weekend a year that deer may want to exit my property, and find a quieter place to hang out at for a little while. My land is managed for deer, and wildlife, but having fun on it with the family is more valuable then deer. My land from Labor day weekend on, until April is off limits except for hunting, and a little TSI. The rest of the year it is for land management, and some family rnr, with 4th of July week being the most rowdy.

That is just awesome!!!!

classic!

For me, got the shuttle filled so I can water trees tonight. Hope to get a few days off work this weekend to hang out with family. Just depends on how many acres we can get sprayed today an tomorrow.